Politics

LioninVa

Re: Politics

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:17 pm

So, here's the thing, Lama... Yes, Clinton is/was a dawg. He showed little respect for the ladies other than as a tool for his enjoyment. But he did apologize to the nation and he was impeached by Congress.

Members of the GOP used to pride themselves on being compassionate Christian conservatives who loved and respected their wives and had zero tolerance for anything remotely illegal. Many more liberal types joked about them being the party of Ozzie and Harriet in the time of Ozzy Osbourne. Maybe that image was somewhat of a false one in the past decade or two, but know if is just a pile of bull.

I am sure you, _dad, and some of the other more seasoned old farts believe that these ideals are simply naiveté, and that is probably correct. Today, the GOP has no claim to being better than the Democratic Party, and I blame that on Trump and the crowd that follows him.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:23 pm

I liked Ozzie And Harriet. They were faithful to each other and loved their sons. Why the O&H stereotype has become a thing of derision is totally beyond me.

From Ozzie And Harriet to Honey Boo Boo,Jersey Shore and Jackass. Our culture is really evolving.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Ozzie and Harriet is not a thing of derision, _dad. It is also not a true representation of the Republican Party. That was my point. They have, for years, held this moral superiority over those hippy free love democrats that never really existed.

Now, I am not saying that there are no real and faithful marriages out there. I am talking about the corruption of the politicians, just to be clear.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 pm

I've longed joked with people that politicians couldn't even keep their scandals straight - there was a time period in which Rs were routinely getting caught in sexual scandals - including ones that involved same sex relations - while a string of Ds were getting caught in bribery and embezzling scandals. Joke being - based on the way each party branded themselves the Rs should be the getting into the financial scandals and the D should be having the sex scandals.

I haven't been under any delusion that both parties aren't rife with all kinds of corruption and hypocrisy. And have been for some time - that's my point - DT is nothing new - he just doesn't try and hide it - in fact he practically believes being a jerk as a person is something to brag about.

I don't get to caught up in his bluster - his tactic of making over the top statements with NK or trade or any other tactic and then backing off is just a negotiating tactic - trust me when I tell you I see purchasing agents, salespeople and quality managers do this on a daily basis. I don't care for it but some people believe approaching a negotiation with a fair / rational proposal places you at a disadvantage because if you compromise you fall short in the negotiation. If you start at an extreme and move you end up at a place you still feel is a significant win. It's like dealing with a cheesy car salesman.
And it is his jerky personality that will forever prevent him from being liked for even a second. Last week he signed the "Right to Try" bill allowing terminally ill people who are out of treatment options access to treatments not yet approved by FDA. I think that is rational and compassionate decision - the story got virtually no coverage because it doesn't feed into the "hate this monster at all costs" media narrative. His wife had surgery and has removed herself from spotlight - heck, with all the Stormy Daniels BS and unnecessary hostility even she gets from press I wouldn't blame her if she took a low profile even if she wasn't well. But because she has taken a few weeks out of the spotlight to recover from surgery people in the press have openly speculated DT is physically abusing her - that's straight mean spirited and unethical.

My major issue with the current progressive liberal D party is their investment in identity politics and egalitarianism which I feel is antithetical to meritocracy and devoid of any relation to the basic reality of cause - effect. My most significant issue with Rs is their lack of follow through - they campaigned on much of the platform DT did and now that they have control of both houses and WH they aren't exactly getting it done. I think they enjoyed the gridlock under Obama because they couldn't be held accountable for not getting things done and couldn't be held accountable for major policy initiatives.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Ozzie and Harriet is not a thing of derision, _dad.

It absolutely is. Our popular culture celebrates dysfunction now.

As for the parties, I've said (a thousand times) that neither of them is worth a bucket of warm spit.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:08 am

I saw Mitt Romney is predicting Trump will will the 2020 election. I wonder who he predicted would win the 2012 election?
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 am

Mitt Romney is the quintessential "empty suit". Were he short and/or fat and/or bald, no one would know who he was. Just ignore him. And I can't imagine why Trump would want four more years of this crap. My guess is that he "declares victory" in a couple of years and walks away. But what do I know.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:44 am

That's my guess too, but I don't know any more than you. Maybe Trump runs again. Maybe Trump wins again. Who knows. I just think it's comical that someone took the time to report Romney's opinion on the matter.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:03 am

Maybe Trump runs again. Maybe Trump wins again.

Maybe he runs against Hillary again. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Hillary's Revenge
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Well that thought just started everyone scrambling to make sure their liquor, swiss roll, nutty bar, airplane glue and opiate supplies were fully stocked.

As certain as I was of Barkley going to NYG, PSU playing for NC in next five years and the Orioles dropping 100 games this year - I am equally certain DT will not run again.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall