Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 pm

If I had to bet, I would pit money on there being more fire out there.

I wouldn't. I may end up pleasantly surprised but I'll be shocked if they did more than work on their foreign policy in advance. I'll be genuinely surprised if there is ever any evidence that supports the allegations Trump colluded on the election with Russia because I seriously doubt it happened.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:17 pm

I haven't been following this closely, but I still don't understand the significance of the calls made to the Russian Ambassador. They came after Trump won the election. What does that have to do with colluding to win the election? It sounds like (as you indicated) that they were getting a head start on their foreign policy and were asking the Russians not to go icky-balooky over the sanctions the outgoing POTUS had just imposed on them.

Why they didn't just fess up to that is beyond me. It wasn't exactly a secret that Trump didn't share the same anti-Russian sentiment as his predecessor.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Apparently Flynn was trying to influence a UN vote on Israel prior to Trump taking office. A technical no-no but incoming administrations have been doing things like that since Ike. And, even if it's technically against the law (assuming the statute is constitutional) it's not colluding in the election.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:14 am

I hope you are right, B-Dub. As much as I don’t like Trump and think he is unfit for any public office, much less the highest one, the nation as a whole would kid be better off without a presidential conspiracy. The thing that concerns me is all the deception; if they have nothing to hide, why are they trying so hard to dodge questions?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:08 am

Probably because laws were probably broken. No incoming administration wants to be accused of breaking the laws the new president swears to uphold. And,even if there was likely no collusion, if this reaches up to Trump it can still lead to his impeachment and removal from office.

Even if he ultimately prevails in court, even if the Logan Act is ruled to be unconstitutional, the fact is that the administration has been lying about this since before they took office and this could bring him down. It's a fantastic Catch-22 and, I think, an awful situation for the country. All the people clamoring for Trump's head are likely to be horrified at the prospect of prosecuting Obama when Trump produces evidence (and I will bet this happens) that president-elect Obama did the same thing in 2007.if you think this country is divided now, imagine what happens if Trump gets impeached over this. Even conservatives who don't like him will be outraged.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 am

So yesterday, ABC investigative reporter Brian Ross reported a bombshell: that Trump had directed Flynn to contact the Russians prior to the election and and that Flynn was going to testify to that. At which point, the stock market plunged 350 points in an hour. Later in the day, Ross issued a "clarification", saying that Trump only asked Flynn to find ways to repair relations with Russia prior to the election and then asked him to contact the Russians after he became the president-elect.

ABC took much-deserved grief for characterizing the second report as a "clarification" and finally conceded it was a "correction".

Ross is the same assclown who attributed one of the mass shootings (Aurora?) to the Tea Party, for which he later apologized. Why does this guy still have a job with a major network? Were neither Ted Baxter nor Ron Burgundy available to fill his position?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 pm

My concern is that Flynn will say or do just about anything at this point to retract his foot from his throat. He lied, pay the piper. As B&W noted, it's practically a technicality and if Flynn tries to invent things this will go on forever. The glee of the msm is palpable but the senate passed their version of the tax plan over it and the stock market rebounded from the loss so where will the msm go now. The Russia dossier is complete fake news and other attack positions they have taken have dried up consistently. Breaking news is an oxymoron from overuse. I wonder if they are not pushing things to cover there preferred class, entertainment and political, from sexual deviate charges that are bubbling up daily.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Ross is the same assclown who attributed one of the mass shootings (Aurora?) to the Tea Party, for which he later apologized. Why does this guy still have a job with a major network? Were neither Ted Baxter nor Ron Burgundy available to fill his position?

My guess is he still has a job because Matt Lauer is currently unavailable. :?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Crowbar wrote:

My guess is he still has a job because Matt Lauer is currently unavailable. :?

Lauer just got a gig at the Locksmith's national convention, keynote speaker: Secret under desk actuated electric door lock installs for fun and profit!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Carl Spackler wrote:My concern is that Flynn will say or do just about anything at this point to retract his foot from his throat. He lied, pay the piper. As B&W noted, it's practically a technicality and if Flynn tries to invent things this will go on forever. The glee of the msm is palpable but the senate passed their version of the tax plan over it and the stock market rebounded from the loss so where will the msm go now. The Russia dossier is complete fake news and other attack positions they have taken have dried up consistently. Breaking news is an oxymoron from overuse. I wonder if they are not pushing things to cover there preferred class, entertainment and political, from sexual deviate charges that are bubbling up daily.

I'm not aware that the dossier has been debunked or whether it ever can be debunked. It could be complete fiction for all we know but that's the problem....we probably will never know, so those who want to believe it's true will and those who don't....won't.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.