Politics

LioninVa

Re: Politics

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am

So, I have been sitting at my desk since 7am waiting on furlough instructions/paperwork. My boss strolled in at 8:15 or so (it’s good to be the king) but has no idea what is going on. Nobody in our parent command anticipated the shutdown last week so paperwork isn’t ready. We can’t leave and aren’t supposed to do our jobs either. What an emmertstorm! Not that I am surprised.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Can't leave but can't do you job sounds like me wife's workplace, sometimes. Best wishes Lion for a soft landing and short downtime. And, that big check covering this off time will come later on and will be taxed out the wahoo as if you are a CEO.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not get fat cat like checks. I am a humble GS5 right now, an overqualified one for sure, but the modest earning for a 40 hr work week at a desk sure beats the higher pay for 70 hrs of shipboard labor. Especially since the tax on OT is criminal.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm

LioninVa wrote:Contrary to popular opinion, I do not get fat cat like checks. I am a humble GS5 right now, an overqualified one for sure, but the modest earning for a 40 hr work week at a desk sure beats the higher pay for 70 hrs of shipboard labor. Especially since the tax on OT is criminal.

Choosing quality of life over alleged, taxed riches is a wise choice and shows remarkable maturity. Most don't see it. My wife is saving nearly 20% of her pay to try to fund our retirement. Those monies come off of her taxable income. She showed me her take home pay and complained until I reminded her to add the savings plan number back into her take home pay (while not available now it is HER pay, no one else's) and she remembered and was happy again. Of course we sacrifice now to have a little later on.

I appreciate you efforts Lion and wish the best for you and yours.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Carl. I have made financial mistakes in my life and a stretch of unemployment didn’t help much. I figure I will be able to save/ invest more aggressively by the end of summer if my son gets a decent scholarship or aid package. If not, it will wait and he can pay us back when we get too old to take care of ourselves. But, all in all, I have no serious regrets.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:03 am

How about the fact that there were multiple school shootings the other day, with multiple young people dead, and this was barely a blip on our radar.

I don't just mean here at NF.com, but in the news as a whole.

Every time I see a politician offer "thoughts and prayers" and use words like "unacceptable" when describing this kind of violence, I want to tear out my own hair. We can say that it is unacceptable, but our actions, and inaction, have shown that this is a reality in America that we are willing to accept. Our unwillingness to take a common sense look at gun legislation is, in my honest opinion, absolutely insane.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 am

I'm sorry to say that I've become numb to it, Nat, just as I've become numb to the unhinged mishegos surrounding president bullshit. Not watching or reading news sites helps.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 am

A report asked SHS what policy the president will put forward to address school shooting. After offering a standard non answer, he asked again and was told that he couldn’t lay this at the feet of the president.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 am

Anyone who thinks this POTUS can "magically fix" this ... or the next POTUS ... or the one after that ... isn't paying attention.

Not every problem has a politically viable solution. As long as everyone gets a vote, there will always be problems without universally accepted solutions. Any politician who tells you otherwise is just blowing smoke up your skirt.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 am

There may not be anything we can do to completely stop the carnage, but let's not pretend that means we should do nothing at all. We can't completely stop traffic fatalities but that doesn't stop us from making cars safer or putting forth new rules and safety regulations that reduce the likelihood of death from a car accident. There are absolutely things we can and should be doing here.

We've gone through this before and I'm not going to do another list. But, one thing I will put out is this: lift the ban on federal funding for gun violence research. For the past 22 years it has actually been against the law for the CDC or anyone who receives federal research dollars to even look at the questions surrounding gun violence. Why is that? What are they so afraid that researchers will find out? That there is a way to reduce the body count? This policy is indefensible so how about showing some leadership and reversing it. Let's maybe have some actual research on the topic and see what it says.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?