Politics

psu_dad

Re: Politics

Postby psu_dad » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:37 pm

He's a recently retired man who now has the time and inclination to reflect on people he has loved and lost. In this case, his dad. I can't watch that closing scene without getting a sudden allergy attack that makes my eyes puffy.

Brilliant writing. Masterful delivery.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 am

No movie quotes here: I LOATHE Dump!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 pm

PSUgrower wrote:No movie quotes here: I LOATHE Dump!

That's cool, I disliked Prez Obama so there is balance. I hated the doubling of my medical ins. for his boondoggle. And more but trying to be civil I'll refrain from bulletin board material. ;)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 am

Remember when Trump launched a bunch of Tomahawk missiles into Syria because they supposedly used poison gas on their own people? And, remember how after that I posted first an analysis from someone at MIT who said the evidence proved that Assad didn't gas his people either then or back in 2013 when Obama accused him of the same thing? And, then remember I shared this article by Seymour Hersh that said that neither the DoD nor CIA could back up the claim that Syria used gas and had to basically talk Trump out of dropping missiles on Russian troops? That was on the old board, but hopefully this jogs your memory.

What was most interesting about the Hersh article was no one in the US would touch it. I guess you can't challenge the narrative that Assad ordered a gas attack on his own people. Well, you couldn't touch it, at least. I suppose that now you can.

UFB.

A few points here.

1. Newsweek seems to be almost gloating here, but there were plenty of credible sources saying this at the time, and they didn't raise an eyebrow. So, screw them.
2. The current and past administrations have some 'splaining to do. They committed criminal acts with their attacks on Syria as they were based on something that had no reason to believe was true.
3. I can't fathom why Mattis is now owning up to this. That seems strange.

Anyway, further proof that I'm not just a raving paranoid.
#Emmertknew

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:49 am

What disturbs me is the reality that an oppressive dictator might have been telling the truth about the incident while our government ignored evidence, shot first, then failed to ask questions later.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 am

I guess you can't challenge the narrative that Assad ordered a gas attack on his own people.

Not when accompanied by the narrative of children being gassed to death. I recall a few Congressmen protesting the action on the general principle that we should "mind our own business", but no one was going to take Assad's side. Gassed children vs dictator is a no-brainer for most politicians, true or otherwise.

"Making sure Assad knows that when he commits such despicable atrocities he will pay a price is the right thing to do." -- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D–NY)

harumph harumph harumph

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 am

Assad is a murderous thug. But, there is no shortage of murderous thugs in the world, unfortunately. The problem here is that we seem to be throwing our weight behind the very people who may have actually launched the gas attack. It would be one thing if we did that unwittingly, but there is evidence that is absolutely not the case. The analysis out of MIT and the Hersh article both point to a conclusion that we knew Assad probably didn't do this.

Trump may get a lot of grief over this (if anyone is actually paying attention to it - which I doubt they are) but the fact is that his predates him. Obama drew the red line in the sand over this and used it to justify limited - and absolutely illegal - military actions against Syria. So much of what we get told is an absolute fiction. You have to be paying really careful attention to see what the potential truth is, and even then it's hard to tell what is real and what is not. The media, with some limited exceptions, is only interested in the sensationalism aspect of journalism. You want a chance of knowing what is actually going on, read Seymour Hersh, Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibi, and people like that. But, they are few and far between, and they all certainly do lean left (although all of them have been willing to attack Obama).

Anyway, as for Syria, it seems like we launched illegal military actions into a sovereign nation based on false accusations and charges. If that sounds familiar to you, it's because that is how the Nazis kicked off WWII. And, in 1946 we tried, convicted and hung their leadership for doing it.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 am

If that sounds familiar to you, it's because that is how the Nazis kicked off WWII. And, in 1946 we tried, convicted and hung their leadership for doing it.

Whoa whoa whoa. We didn't do it for the purpose of occupying Syria. Out heart was in the right place. Our head was up our bum, unfortunately.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

Out heart was in the right place.

Where do you think our heart was here, exactly? We took information we didn't believe to push a narrative we knew probably wasn't true to launch missiles at a dictator we don't like to support people who may very well be the real culprits of the saran gas attacks that got us so outraged in the first place. I agree that it's not really accurate to compare that to the invasion of Poland in September of 1939 (I was trying to make a point), but I have a hard time believing we did any of this for altruistic reasons or because "our heart was in the right place".
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 am

Had it been an attack with "conventional" weapons and had it not involved dead children, I suspect we would have done nothing. We were duped, by media coverage like this. Well, someone was duped. I didn't do anything.