Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 am

Anyone think Trump is going to fire Mueller? And if so, anyone have a guess as to what happens next? Do the Republicans get on board with the impeachment idea? Does it go away altogether? Something in between? And, if it's "go away" or "something in between", what happens if the Democrats take the House and Senate (unlikely) in November?

I have no idea how this is going to play out.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 am

Truthfully I have given up trying to figure this thing out.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm

The White House has stated that no firings are coming and Mueller is safe, so I expect it by mid-week. As to what happens, that's anybody's guess but I don't think it goes away. I am hoping some more of the common sense republicans (if that isn't an oxymoron) start to realize that they need to put country over party. And, I would say the same to the democrats if the roles were reversed. Both sides seem to be more invested in defeating the other rather than improving the nation.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 pm

I have given up trying to figure this thing out.

It doesn't have the drama of the Lindbergh Kidnapping case, that's for sure. Maybe firing Mueller would perk things up.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Crowbar wrote:Truthfully I have given up trying to figure this thing out.

Just figure out what the most hypocritical, self serving things a politician / media member / celebrity can do and that would be your best indicator.

DT ran a scorched earth campaign and pissed nearly every mainstream politician, member of the media and celebrity elitist off he possibly could - and they aren't the let bygones be bygones type. They will continue their scorched earth campaign until he is gone - and eventually, given DT's personality and lack of attention to detail he will accommodate them. Many will be sacrificed to take down one - and the only remaining action will be to see - at what cost vengeance?

DT's opponents would try to impeach him for tossing a chewing gum wrapper on the sidewalk. And in their effort to expedite his end they are exposing their own warts and misdeeds and clearly showing removing DT supersedes actually doing anything productive for the people. They can oppose him on policy matters all they want and there are sufficient checks and balances in place to effectively do that. Be patient and he will eventually step in the dog Emmert on his own. Picking it up and throwing it at him just gets it all over your own hands.

DT won the election - and despite Hillary once again asserting it's because of a bunch of stuck in the past angry racist, sexist white guys who forced their women to vote for him - there were was legitimate dissatisfaction with both party's status quo. If he is removed from office and it is viewed as the politicians / media getting revenge on the guy who embarrassed them vs for some legit reason - they will feel cheated.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 pm

DT won the election - and despite Hillary once again asserting it's because of a bunch of stuck in the past angry racist, sexist white guys who forced their women to vote for him - there were was legitimate dissatisfaction with both party's status quo. If he is removed from office and it is viewed as the politicians / media getting revenge on the guy who embarrassed them vs for some legit reason - they will feel cheated

I completely agree with this. I think there are some legitimate questions about some of what Trump has done but this really has been a massive fishing expedition. I saw today that there is evidence that Mueller is focusing more on post-election issues than on the campaign. If he goes down because of things that had nothing to do with collusion, that's going to be hard to explain to the block of people who voted for him. I think most people get that he's a total douchebag, and I suspect a chunk of people who voted for him now think he's unfit for the job, but voters remorse is nothing new. The reality is that he is a legally elected president and that has to count for something. You think he's the worst human being to hold the office? Then show up this November and in November 2020 and vote him out.

There are things about how all this has been handled that I think anyone who claims to love democracy should be concerned about. The leaks by the intelligence community that seem to be done for the purpose of undermining or embarrassing Trump are a problem. Sure, it shows he has no idea what he's doing, but they should not be leaking that way. He's not doing himself any favors, and he seems to becoming increasingly unhinged, but there are ways of dealing with that and subterfuge should not be on that list.

The whole situation is very concerning.
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:52 pm

You called this a fishing expedition, B-Dub. That might be accurate, but is it illegal or unethical? The investigation into Clinton started with a real estate deal that would d around to in intern and a cigar in the oval office and culminated with kids to the special council or grand jury. Maybe my sequence is off, but that was the gyst of it. It is my understanding that these investigations have a wide latitude. Am I incorrect?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Just as Kenneth Starr's Whitewater (real estate) investigation was ending, his office got a tip on Monica Lewinsky and Bill Clinton. Starr requested an expansion of his investigation to include the Clinton-Lewinsky affair and Janet Reno (the AG) approved it.

Starr now claims that if he had a "do-over", he would have walked away after Whitewater. He claims to regret the precedent he set by not sticking to the original investigation. Whether that's BS or not is anyone's guess. As to whether a special prosecutor can investigate whatever they want or have to seek permission to wander off the original investigation (as Starr supposedly did), I really don't know.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Color me cynical, but I would bet Starr is making this claim since his precedent could now impact a GOP president. I believe it is more party over country BS.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:57 pm

The NYT article in which Starr (originally) expressed his regret was several years ago (2? 3? I forget), so I doubt it was about President Knucklehead. Doesn't really matter. He did it and now he owns it.
Klaatu barada nikto