Politics

psu_dad

Re: Politics

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Seriously, does anyone not think this is coming?

I haven't given it much thought, to be honest. Did Trump say he was going to fire Mueller? Or is that just media speculation?

If Mueller insists on an interview with Trump, I wouldn't be shocked if Trump tells him to drop dead. But I suppose that's not the same as firing him.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 pm

He hasn't said it, but he's been hinting at it. As for talking to Mueller, he's said several times he would be happy to be interviewed under oath. People on his side have said this is probably not a great idea.

In other political news, did anyone see the story of the DC lawmaker who apparently thinks bad weather is part of a Jewish conspiracy? And, of course, once it hit the fan he apologized and gave the standard "I didn't mean to offend anyone" response.

I never understood why people demand apologies for comments like that. Does an apology make the person less of a bigot or less of a moron? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I encourage morons to be morons. It makes them easier to spot. This BS "you must apologize" only encourages other morons to hide their nature. Let the morons be uninhibited I say. Let them roam free!
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:13 pm

As for talking to Mueller, he's said several times he would be happy to be interviewed under oath. People on his side have said this is probably not a great idea.

"Just remember. It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 am

Yesterday WaPo reported that Trump was giving a national security briefing that said he SHOULD NOT congratulate Putin on winning his "election" because it helps provide him with legitimacy and he SHOULD condemn Putin for Russian poisoning former military intelligence officer Sergei Skripal and his daughter. Trump did the opposite, and congratulated Putin and said fuq all about the attempted murder of a foreign national on the soil of our strongest ally.

This morning, several outlets are reporting that Trump is furious that it leaked he was specifically told to do the opposite and believes people are trying to undermine him. I've said several times that I think it's ridiculous a sitting president has to deal with leaks from his intelligence service and close advisors and it undermines democracy, but this may be the one that changes my mind on that topic. I think the public has an absolute right to know how incredibly reckless this moron is. From giving away Israeli intelligence secrets to legitimizing thugs like Putin, the public should be aware of this. The leaks are not good, but, similar to when we found out about the domestic spy programs that Obama said he "welcomed a debate on", the public should know these things.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:44 am

Do you really feel safer now knowing that someone advised Trump not to congratulate Putin and then ratted him out when he ignored the advice? Seriously? Should this establish a precedent for all future administrations? Every time advice is not followed by a POTUS,the agency offering the advice should call the WaPo immediately and rat him out?

At the very worse, Trump congratulating Putin was tacky. I'm calling Total Bullshit on the notion that our security was compromised by it.

--------------------

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union's chief executive has written to Russian President Vladimir Putin to congratulate him on his reelection, saying that Russia and Europe should "reestablish a cooperative pan-European security order". Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker published the letter on his Twitter account on Tuesday, echoing the call for dialogue by German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron in their messages of congratulation.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:56 am

On the grand stage, it probably does not undermine security as we know it. But when SHS was asked if she felt the election in Russia was legitimate or not, knowing most of us have seen footage of ballot box stuffing and other shenanigans, she couldn't say that the election was on the up and up. Why? Doe that undermine our security or has the line between truth and lie; real and false blurred that much?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 am

Do you really feel safer now knowing that someone advised Trump not to congratulate Putin and then ratted him out when he ignored the advice? Seriously? Should this establish a precedent for all future administrations? Every time advice is not followed by a POTUS,the agency offering the advice should call the WaPo immediately and rat him out?

Safer? No. More informed? Yes. The public has a right to know about how their leaders behave. There are some things that need to be kept secret, but this does not strike me as one of them. We all complain about how our government behaves and the key to fixing that is more transparency from our elected leaders.

As to your 2nd point about agencies ratting him out, that's the part of this that I've had concerns with all along. A democracy should not function this way. And, our intelligence communities have a long and ugly history of doing things that never would have been tolerated if we had transparency on their actions. I'm at a point where I think we need to start breaking down the walls of secrecy. Obama claimed he was going to run the "most transparent administration in modern history". If that was the "most transparent" than we have as serious issue.

The American people need to have more access to what the truth is about how our government operates. So, going forward, I'm not going to be happy if every time a president does something he's told not to someone leaks it to WaPo, but I will be happier if more of this information is public from the start.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:20 am

From the office of President Barack Obama's press secretary on March 9, 2012: "President Obama called Russian President-elect and Prime Minister Putin to congratulate him on his recent victory in the Russian Presidential election."

-----------------------------

Where was the media outrage then? Was Putin legitimate then, but now he's a douchebag?

This is why I've totally tuned out the MSM (other than the WSJ). They've completely lost their collective minds over President Knucklehead.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 am

Interesting. I did not know that. Of course, when that happened Putin hadn't just been accused of poisoning a political opponent.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 am

Blue&White wrote:Interesting. I did not know that. Of course, when that happened Putin hadn't just been accused of poisoning a political opponent.

Perhaps not, but I'd wager he had several in mind.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.