Politics

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Politics

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am

psu_dad wrote:Do you really feel safer now knowing that someone advised Trump not to congratulate Putin and then ratted him out when he ignored the advice? Seriously? Should this establish a precedent for all future administrations? Every time advice is not followed by a POTUS,the agency offering the advice should call the WaPo immediately and rat him out?[/i]

Yes, because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that president bullshit will need his big, fat orange head pieced back together by his loyal staff. Schadenfreude.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 am

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Nov 13, 2012 - Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke to Barack Obama by telephone and congratulated him a second time over his victory in the U.S. presidential election, the Kremlin said on Tuesday. Putin wished Obama success in “forming a new team” and the two leaders “confirmed their interest in the consistent development of bilateral relations in all areas including economic aspects,” the Kremlin said in a statement.

You think Putin was fond of President Obama? Fat chance. This is just something that world leaders do. Perhaps it's sincere sometimes, but when it's not it's done anyways for the sake of diplomacy. For the media to make a big deal of this is friggin ridiculous. President Knucklehead got some advice that apparently no other world leaders got and he ignored it. BFD.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:29 am

Yes, because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that president bullshit will need his big, fat orange head pieced back together by his loyal staff. Schadenfreude.

That should be President Bullshit. Show a little respect.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:08 pm

psu_dad wrote:Yes, because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that president bullshit will need his big, fat orange head pieced back together by his loyal staff. Schadenfreude.

That should be President Bullshit. Show a little respect.

But it was written with all due respect. :roll:
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:33 am

So, I believe we all know that the PA Supreme Court struck down the gerrymandered districts the Republicans had created. Now that all appeals to the Supreme Court have failed, the Republicans are trying a new tactic - they are trying to impeach 4 of the PA judges for ruling against them. We'll see if this gets off the ground but it's a concerning turn of events.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:43 am

We avoid all that infighting here. All the politicians and judges are Democrats. Totalitarianism is much more efficient.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 pm

In terms of DT congratulating Putin I would generally - say - this was a case where saying nothing was probably the most pragmatic course of action but saying nothing just ain't in DT's arsenal.
So if I had to speculate why he did it:
a. Someone told him (not asked or begged) not to - and he had to show them nobody tells him what to do (ego)
b. He was told via written communication or as part of a discussion on multiple topics and just failed to absorb the message (inattention to detail)
c. He knew it would make all his detractors crazy and he just loves doing that
d. He knew it would make all his detractors crazy and would distract that from something he didn't want them focusing on

But really - was an empty congratulations from an insincere human worse than:

1. The Russian Reset?
2. Obama castigating Romney for calling Putin / Russia a threat as since Cold War was so 20 years ago
3. Obama assuring us all in 2016 when DT claimed the election process may be tainted that it just wasn't possible
4. Obama failing to act on intelligence that Russia was attempting to meddle in the election
5. Obama not realizing he was on a hot mic and telling a Russian diplomat "he have more flexibility to do things" after the 2012 election because he didn't have to worry about re-election and diplomat responding he would tell Putin
6. Hillary Clinton accepting bribes to sell Uranium right to Russia

If DT is going to be flogged for Russia this and that there needs to be a couple other rather high profile folks who should be in the town square taking a few lashes too. As dad said - this is the hypocrisy of the press and mainstream politicians - in their zeal to attack everything DT does they forget - oh man we did the same stuff and worse.
Be patient - lull him into a false sense of security and he will hand deliver you a reason to get rid of him.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:14 pm

I think the issue with his call to Putin was his own team said "don't do it!" and he went and did it anyway. The circumstances were different, somewhat, when Obama called in the past. And, there is no evidence that Obama violated the advice of his own national security team. What is the value of hiring the "best" people if you're not going to listen to them? I think that is the real issue here. And, it's not the first time. He was specifically told in the past not to acknowledge some intelligence we had from Israel to the Russians and he went and did it anyway, and apparently really pissed the Israeli's off.

Is this worse than the other things you listed? I don't know. It's subjective. Reasonable minds can argue it either way, I guess. Some of the things on your list are pretty egregious in their own right. Do they need to be "better" or "worse"? I guess you can argue about the media coverage of each. But, again, I think the coverage here isn't so much about the detail as the idea that he doesn't listen. If you want to invoke your privilege to make a decision that is contrary to your advisors, that is his right. But, it seems like this is more a screw-up than a decision.

I fully understand that the press coverage of this is more driven by the sheer joy of showing, again, that he's not competent for the job he has vs. reporting on the event itself, but that doesn't mean there isn't a story here and it's not legitimate news. Does it deserve this level of coverage and hyperbole? Probably not.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:20 pm

I think the issue with his call to Putin was his own team said "don't do it!" and he went and did it anyway.

I'm sure that happens all time and has been happening since forever. It just doesn't get blabbed to the media. His "team" is there to advise him, not to give him orders. If it were the latter, we could just elect chimpanzees to be POTUS and save a bundle financially supporting them after they leave office. It would just cost us a lifetime supply of bananas.

------------------

PS - The U2 Spy Plane Incident (a fascinating story BTW) is an example of a POTUS who wished he had ignored an adviser. Eisenhower was against the idea of flying the U-2 over the Soviet Union because he felt it was a legitimate act of aggression. But he eventually listened to his CIA director who basically told him "No problem. We're NEVER going to get caught. No chance". And Eisenhower went to his grave regretting taking this advice.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 pm

the other issue is there is a mole on his team. From what I gather, there were a select few people in this conversation and one of them let the cat out of the bag. I am no fan of dump but I would be pissed that crap keeps getting out. BTW, whoever is leaking this information is actually breaking the law. I am pretty sure that the discussions in the meetings are not supposed to get to the public.