Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Nah, Trump would never sell out an ally. :roll:

In other good news, it seems the grand opening of the new embassy in Jerusalem is a smash success. I mean, except for the dozens dead after the Israeli military opened fire on the protesters. I'm really enjoying the pictures of the dead Palestinian children.
Hire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon May 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Reports are that there are 52 dead and over 2,200 injured.

FOX News had this to say...
“This is something that we can’t say is that surprising,” Kilmeade said Monday morning on Fox and Friends. “But anytime you have loss of life on something like this, you understand, because precautions were taken, but if someone is determined to create unrest with these great numbers, what are you supposed to do if you’re security on the other side?”

Doocy added: “The Palestinians were warned they could get hurt if they approached the fence and they did and Israeli snipers have apparently killed a number of Palestinians.”

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 14, 2018 2:49 pm

So, it's ok to shoot unarmed people for approaching a fence?

I have family in Israel. I have some idea of how precarious their general security situation is. And, I'm fully aware that they live with extremists on their boarders who routinely stage terrorist attacks on civilians or hurl missiles into civilian population centers. It's a bad situation. But, opening fire on an unarmed crowd because they crossed some imaginary line is obscene. It's criminal. And, it really, seriously erodes away the moral high ground you may be trying to stand upon.
Hire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm

So, for the new grand opening for the Jerusalem embassy, the White House arranged for pastor Rob Jeffress to come and say a few encouraging words. In a lecture back in 2010 he said that Jews could not be saved and were condemned to Hell. So, good choice for the opening of the Israeli embassy.

WaPo did a story that details some of Jeffress' greatest hits.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 pm

As I understand it, he basically believes everyone who isn't a Baptist is going to Hell.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Blue&White wrote:Nah, Trump would never sell out an ally. :roll:

In other good news, it seems the grand opening of the new embassy in Jerusalem is a smash success. I mean, except for the dozens dead after the Israeli military opened fire on the protesters. I'm really enjoying the pictures of the dead Palestinian children.

My question is why would you bring your kids to something like this? Other than for sickening propaganda purposes, I don't know. As a parent you have to know going to an event like this is in all likelihood going to turn violent or even deadly.

If you're an adult and still want to go, fine. Just leave the kids home.

With that said, I have no issue with the embassy being moved to Jerusalem. Past Presidents promised to do it, Trump actually delivered. And let's be realistic. No matter what we do, a very large percentage of the population over there is going to hate us. Some of it is our fault. But we have also made concerted efforts to bring peace in the Middle East too. It's a never ending cycle of violence and hatred that will last many life times beyond ours, sadly.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Dad - that's my understanding too. Why would you invite someone like that to open your Israeli embassy?

Crowbar - I think the focus really needs to be on who opened fire here.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Why would you invite someone like that to open your Israeli embassy?

I presume he asked to go and Trump's people didn't want to say no. He has some sort of relationship with Trump, going back to the campaign. And oddly enough, he has a record of being pro-Israel.

I'm no Theologian, but I suppose it's possible for someone to have a narrow view of who qualifies for their notion of "Heaven" without necessarily hating those who don't qualify. Who knows. All I know about Heaven is that (1) there is no beer and (2) that's why we drink it here.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 am

Blue&White wrote:
Crowbar - I think the focus really needs to be on who opened fire here.

Understood.

I just shake my head in disbelief though that people would bring their kids to something like this where they full well know violence may ensue. Violence between the Israelis and Palestinians isn't exactly a new phenomenon.
41-33.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am

psu_dad wrote:All I know about Heaven is that (1) there is no beer and (2) that's why we drink it here.

Wait. What?