Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:48 pm

None of those are recent developments. The report doesn't say that these things were elected in the past 18 months. It says it is the result of years of US policy. But, it does make the point that the conditions are being exacerbated by the Trump administration. Meaning, it's gotten worse for poor people since he's been elected.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm

I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk here.

I think he pointed out several issues that have been with us for some time now and he SPECULATED that they would get worse under the current administration. He certainly did not provide any data/evidence to prove that they had. He clearly is an advocate of seriously increased wealth re-distribution to those in the lower economic strata. Fine. But the likelihood that this is not going to happen under a Republican administration is hardly profound. Elections have consequences.

I'm sticking with screw him and the UN, admittedly in part because I have little use for those pantloads.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Elections have consequences.

You're loving that line a bit too much.

And, elections do have consequences. But, those consequences should not include a percentage of the population having to drink sludge, breath chemicals, and lose thier basic rights. Those are not reasonable expectations, but that is what we are seeing here. When you reverse an order that prevented coal mines from dumping coal sludge into rivers that feed the source of drinking water, you sort of have to scratch your head at that and wonder if that's really what people intended to vote for. Those are not reasonable consequences. And, despite all the claims that president knucklehead hasn't done any long term damage, I'm pretty sure he has. Maybe not to you or me but to the poorest people in this country he absolutely has. The health impacts of this administration will be felt for years. For decades most likely. It's not ok. And those are not reasonable consquences.

The Democrats have become a bunch of reaking lunatics but at least the current repbulican belief that that science is some kind of liberal conspiracy and you can do whatever you want to the environment and it will all just be fine is insanity. That's not what we signed up for. That's not a reasonable consequence. And, for that matter, neither is cutting social safety nets so Donald Trump and his family of theiving scumbags can get richer.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm no environmental expert, but I did read an article in National Geographic a few months ago about how the Trump administration is changing environmental regulations. The article didn't suggest that Trump was bringing us back to 1890. It said he was mostly rolling back Obama-era policies that aimed to curb global warming. I don't recall the coal sludge stuff.

Again, not my area of expertise. But if people voted for Trump thinking he was going to champion global warming legislation, they weren't paying attention. It's pretty clear his attitude is "screw that".

Gallup had a poll about issues concerning Americans. They divided them into two categories: Economic and Non-Economic. Environment/Pollution ranked 13th in the Non-Economic category. That doesn't mean it should be that low, but it means it's probably not going to decide any elections in the near future.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Scum bags always get richer, left and right. For every Soros there is a Hunt brother and for every Kennedy there is a R that play fast and lose with their marriage vows and lusts 24/7 behind and in front of their wive's backs.

I don't see the air and water suddenly turning dark. Because we can now test for pp trillion making discovery of insignificant particulates much more viable but not actionable under reasonable scientific standards. The poison is and always has been about the dose, not the potential presence of the material. This is science pure and simple - what is the actionable level, not the discover-able level.

The ban on dihidro monoxide is a famous subject for the hysteria of the week club (media driven). It will never happen but its quite a tease for gullible students and adults who jump to conclusions without science.

The great gulf that Carla Spackler mentions to me regularly grows wider. President Trump is a catalyst to expose it and the tolerance level given, not expected. Mighty sad but a fact nevertheless. :(
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:26 am

The cries for "civility" and "open mindedness" from supporters of the least civil and open minded politician of our time are laughable at best. Not surprisingly the population of people who gleefully questioned our previous president's nationality in an abject display of racism and hatred are the same ones decrying this lapse of civility. Pure, unmitigated, hypocrisy laden BULLSHIT.

This divide has grown and grown and both sides share responsibility for that. However, at least for me, this presidency has served to offer clarity for me in a number of my relationships. It has proven that for a number of people, we hold fundamentally different views on the world and while I'm certainly not calling for their expulsion from the country I also have no interest in engaging with them personally and socially.

The gap has broadened to the point that we aren't arguing nuanced points about policy in a reasonable debate, but are expressing fundamentally different beliefs on what is decent and just. Call it virtue signaling if you'd like, frankly IDGAF.

Has this presidency ended relationships for me? Absolutely. And I don't miss a single one of them in my life. Not one. Good riddance.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 am

CBO: US Debt Burden Set to Break Record in Early 2030s

The CBO assumes revenue will be flat over the next ~30 years, which is probably not right. Trump and his team said these tax cuts would give us 5% growth year-on-year and that's how they would pay off the defiict. However, I've seen a number of projections from groups who were not trying to sell something and they all seriously disagree with those numbers. Most forecasts have us growing at under 2%. it's impossible to really predict but 4 to 5% is simply not realistic. It may happen in a limited circumstance but economies don't grow that fast year-on-year.

Any, in summary, I never, ever again want to hear the Republicans talk about fiscal responsibility and the problem of the deficit given that they voted to expand it to record numbers. And, for anyone who is wondering what comes next, I'll tell you what is probably coming next - a full court press to scale back social security and medicare to get this spending under control.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:48 am

And, for anyone who is wondering what comes next, I'll tell you what is probably coming next - a full court press to scale back social security and medicare to get this spending under control.

That's probably inevitable. I don't know if "scale back" is the term I'd use. But I suspect Uncle Sam will eventually make these programs much more "need-based" in the future. So if you saved for your retirement and thought your savings would be supplemented by SS, you may very well get it up the poop chute, at least until you exhaust your savings. I think we all agree that as long as I'm grandfathered in under the current system, then it's all good.

There's always the "Soylent Green" option if that doesn't work.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 pm

I guess it's time to stock up on this:

Call it a crazy hunch, but I think paying for tax cuts for the wealthy by slashing entitlements everyone paid into is going to cause some minor voter angst.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:11 pm

You'll have to take that up with Mad. But you may be inviting a knuckle sammich if you try to take his tax break away.

I haven't changed my mind on this. I've been of the opinion for some time that we are inexorably headed towards a Euro-style social democracy and massive tax increases are in our future. And when I say "our future", I mean "your future". You're going to need several jars of lubricant. Whenever there are more have-nots than haves and everyone gets a vote, I think this is inevitable.