Politics

psu_dad

Re: Politics

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 pm

I don't know any of those people. I live in MA. It's in a different solar system from those people you speak of. Ask B&W. I think he lives in Hooterville.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:13 am

LioninVa wrote:But when Dear Leader says that a story is fake, and a good deal of the population believes him without any form af verification, do you blame the reporter or the people? Asking for a friend...

Depends.

If you're a Trump fan you blame the reporter. If you hate him, you blame the people. People are going to believe what they want to believe. Same can be said for any POTUS, regardless of which party they're with.

We have folks among us who think 9/11 was an inside job.
41-33.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:26 am

Sadly, you are right, Crowbar. I think that is a sad state of affairs. I have said this before, but I am shocked at the amount of republicans who have turned on things like the FIB presumably because Trump has. Not to mention things like family values and fidelity unless is suits the narrative at the moment. I am talking mainly about represents and the evangelicals more that everyday Joe's.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

Republicans and evangelicals. Around here, they're like leprechauns and unicorns. Like I said, I live on a different planet. :D

Mrs_dad: Maybe you should travel more.
Me: I saw Deliverance. No thank you.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am

Sure you do. Still, I think five of the last six governors have been republicans. I don't know if they were more moderate or the other candidates were idiots or what. Maybe both. I find it hard to believe everyone up there besides you is a blessing heart liberal. But what do I know?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 am

The reason for Republican governors is that it's a ceremonial position. Like being the Grand Marshal of the Rose Bowl parade. The two most powerful pols in the state are the Speaker of the House and Speaker of the Senate. We send 9 Congressman and 2 Senators to Washington. All Democrats.

We have some Republicans in the state legislature, but they're irrelevant. The state legislature is typically 75-80% Democrat, so it doesn't matter how the Republicans vote. And that's why the governor is powerless. As with most states, the MA governor's power derives (in theory) from their ability to veto bills. The veto power can be used to strike deals, i.e., "You give me what I want and I'll sign your bill". But in MA, the lopsided legislature neuters the veto power. It takes the Democrats in the legislature two seconds to get the super-majority votes to over-ride any veto. So they really don't give a rat's ass if the governor signs or vetoes a bill they submit. One the legislature submits it, it's a done deal.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:53 am

I'm not arguing or calling you out. In Erie, PA (at least when I was there) the vast majority were democrats. To have any say in the representative, you had to vote in the primary (in party only) as the Democratic nominee would almost always go on to win.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:00 am

I suppose one advantage is that we avoid all the rancorous political debate you see at the national level. It's a one-party state, for all practical purposes. The Democrats don't have to argue with the Republicans. They can just ignore them.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:47 pm

"We're all to blame."
President Asshat, 7/16/2018

Can you imagine what this traitorous a-hole would have said had Obama emerged from a meeting with putin and issued that statement? Come on Mr. Mueller.....deliver!
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm

The Europeans must be thrilled with this. The browbeating they took from Trump on NATO was one thing. But, this potentially really undermines them. What is Trump going to do if Putin starts getting aggressive in Eastern Europe now?

As a side note, adding these former Soveit bloc countries to NATA and creating an obligation to come to their rescue with a military response was nucking futs. Bill Clinton really, really screwed the pooch on that. There was no upside in adding some of these countries to NATO. I know more were added after his term but he started the trend. It was a serious, serious mistake. And, we may now see how serious.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?