Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 pm

I won't shed any tears when he's gone. I just seriously doubt I'll do any backflips over whomever takes over for him.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. -- The Who
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Apparently egged on by Rand Paul, Trump is now considering revoking security clearances for a bunch of cats who have been outspoken against him. Sanders spin it as a result of them improperly framing idea in a political manner and possibly profiting from those opinions. If that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 pm

I was shocked to learn that people who no longer work for the government retain their clearance when they leave. That was news to me.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:03 pm

I believe the clearance is for a set time frame but can be revoked if there is just cause. The misconception is that having the clearance doesn’t specifically grant you access to information; it is one step in the process.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Oh. I didn't know that. I've never needed clearance for anything.

As for the story, I can't imagine it really matters if former government employees no longer have security clearance. But, the entire thing comes off as just incredibly petty and childish. What I found funniest is the complaint they have made baseless accusations and have monetized their time in office. This from the guy who constantly makes baseless accusations and has monetized the presidency. But, the whole thing just comes off as ridiculous.

Ultimately, I'm not sure why it matters. None of these people are actively involved in anything requiring classified information so who cares?

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:29 pm

I never thought about retaining a clearance after you left a position where you needed one. It makes sense that you would retain the clearance for a time. Regardless there is the thing called "need to know". If you leave office and have no "need to know"', you cannot get to see classified information.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:05 am

That is a solid point, Flier. The folks that Sanders and Trump are calling out like Comey, Clapper and Holder are interviewed mainly to speculate and provide their opinion and experience to clarify (or muddy, if you prefer) what is going on. Like you said, they are no longer in the room when fresh data is coming in or decisions are being made.

I have held a Secret clearance for the better part of the past 25 years, only lapsing for a year or two twice (when I didn't need it). The reason for the background check (which I think was more important than the actual clearance) was to verify that I had no inappropriate personal relations of other issues (financial, drug, etc.) that might make me easier to compromise. My sister lives in England, and that was a major factor of the investigation, along with a missed/late mortgage payment or two. I realize that we are discussing people who have a much higher clearance and are/were actually exposed to information related to national security while I was dealing with things like personal privacy information and restricted spaces with serious high tech stuff. At my level at least, I believe the clearances are simply a check in the box that verifies the holder can be trusted not to compromise the information. I would assume there is more to it with the higher levels of clearance and access.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:56 am

My understanding of the maintained clearances is so that it provides a network of experienced people who can serve as resources for those currently in the roles.

It doesn't mean that that get the classified info but simply that if they are brought into the loop because of their experience they can be briefed to offer any guidance they might have.

Trump's use of this as a political tool, distraction, whatever the hell it is is neither appropriate or surprising. He is an infant, devoid of a moral compass, unable to see past his own nose. The sooner we are rid of this buffoon (replaced with either a Democrat or Republican) the better.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Nat@PSU wrote:My understanding of the maintained clearances is so that it provides a network of experienced people who can serve as resources for those currently in the roles.

It doesn't mean that that get the classified info but simply that if they are brought into the loop because of their experience they can be briefed to offer any guidance they might have.

Trump's use of this as a political tool, distraction, whatever the hell it is is neither appropriate or surprising. He is an infant, devoid of a moral compass, unable to see past his own nose. The sooner we are rid of this buffoon (replaced with either a Democrat or Republican) the better.

Since the dems don't appear to have a viable candidate, that narrows the choice to a republican. Which republican? I'd register republican just to vote in the primary against the orange menace if, say, Romney or Kasich was on the ballot. Hell, I'd vote for Bozo the Clown instead of that one except that Dad would remind me I tried that once and look what happened.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I don't know who will step up for the democrats. I kind of expected a huge group; maybe not as big as gave us The Donald 3 or so years ago, but more than just 3 or 4 for sure. Maybe they are waiting for the first sacrificial lamb to dip their toes in the water; maybe they are waiting until closer to actual primaries and seeing how the mid terms go in November. Maybe they all came to their senses and realized that being President isn't worth all the4 bull-emmert that comes with it. No, that last one has to be wrong...