Politics

LioninVa

Re: Politics

Postby LioninVa » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:47 pm

I agree with everything you stated. My concern is the big rush by the GOP for confirmation. I would think Kavanaugh would want his name cleared as completely as possible before getting to SCOTUS and think that the questioning is a farce. Again, I don’t know who is more accurate in their memory but what is the harm in taking a few days to allow professional investigators to ask some questions and see what they might find? I mean, it isn’t like McConnel and his boys sat on a nomination for nearly a year or anything.

The whole process stinks!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:07 pm

I think the rush is exactly for the reasons you stated - they want to get this done before they possibly lose the Senate. And, Kavanaugh's name will never be "cleared". The only way that can happen is for Ford to recant her accusation, which seems highly improbable. But, I agree with you that they should slow down and do this properly. Let the FBI do the background check and see if there is any merit to this. That they are adamant they don't want to do this really makes you wonder. To your point, this is a lifetime appointment. Seems prudence should dictate the actions here.
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:28 pm

We all understand the gravity of the lifetime appointment and everything that should go with that. I am afraid the politicians, especially those in power at a given moment, care only about getting what the party leadership wants. And I realize this cuts both ways.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:24 pm

There hasn't been a rush - Kavanaugh has been through the appropriate private and public hearings and has been through multiple FBI background checks including one since his SCOTUS nomination.

You should be asking - why are Ds asking for delays - and the answer is simple - they want to push this vote past the mid-terms in hopes of gaining control and being able to squash nomination.

Why did Dianne Feinstein not disclose the letter she received for 6 weeks - she neither turned it over to FBI nor discussed with Kavanuagh in private or public hearings. She still hasn't turned over to the committee or the FBI.

Once the Senate committee agreed to allow the accuser to testify she and her lawyer have kept moving the goalposts on conditions for her appearance (Kavanaugh has not asked for any pre-conditions).

First she demanded an FBI investigation be done (even though no federal crime is alleged)
The she demanded Kavanaugh testify first (so he would be defending himself against ........ what exactly? Her lawyers accusations, her social media postings? That's not how our justice system works).
She demanded she not be questioned by lawyers.
She demanded Kavanaugh not be allowed in room when she testified

They offered a date of Monday and she said how about Thursday. I'd take the direction B&W took above about the "anonymous WH source" - when you level that serious an accusation - one that delays a SCOTUS confirmation vote and possibly ruins a man's career and reputation you show up and say what you have to say - you don't play these games - you're testifying before Congress, not buying a used car.

There is a clear strategy by the accuser and the Ds to delay the vote. I saw a dozen Ds fighting to get to mics and cameras who have already convicted Kavanaugh despite there being no sworn testimony and no evidence - no need for that pesky presumption of innocence. All this in the name of "woman who make these accusations are to be believed" - except if your D Keith Ellison who you won't hear the Ds say a peep about his abuse allegations or Paula Jones and Al Franken's accusers - who the accuser's lawyer defended Clintons / Franken's actions and discredited the impact on their victims.

What happened 36 years ago between a two teenagers - no of us will ever know the truth but as in most cases it's likely somewhere in between what he is saying and she is saying. If it had been reported at the time I wonder what charge it would have amounted to - and would have any charge been expunged from his record by now? Is this our new standard for public servants - you better not have someone throw up a 36 year old transgression which was not reported at that time and from the information we have at hand is basically almost impossible to prove or disprove. That will make it very easy for anyone - either side of political fence - to hold appointment processes hostage with an accusation.

You aren't seeing a search for truth - you're witnessing the zenith of how bitterly partisan our political process has become.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Lama. Stop pooping in the punch bowl. This is the Trump-sucks & We're-f*cked echo chamber. Just grab a pod off the truck and take a nap next to it. You'll feel much better.

Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:56 am

The only problem with your comment, lama, is that what happened 36 years ago is allegedly an attempted rape. We don’t know what exactly happened, if anything at all. But the allegation is a serious one. And against a man up for the SCOTUS. I have no problem with the process slowing down to get as close to the truth as possible.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:30 am

psu_dad wrote:Lama. Stop pooping in the punch bowl. This is the Trump-sucks & We're-f*cked echo chamber. Just grab a pod off the truck and take a nap next to it. You'll feel much better.

How's this:

(spoken in slow monotone)
"....but Hillary......the emails.....,Benghazi.....Lock her up......

....but Hillary......the emails.....,Benghazi.....Lock her up......

....but Hillary......the emails.....,Benghazi.....Lock her up......

Hope that helps.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:29 am

You aren't seeing a search for truth - you're witnessing the zenith of how bitterly partisan our political process has become.

During the 8 years Obama was president the Republicans flat out refused to confirm, or even to consider, the majority of positions Obama sent for approval. In addition to dozens of federal judge openings - which are all lifetime appointments - they wouldn't even consider non-controversial appointments within all the branches of government. The purpose of all this was to do everythign they could to hinder Obama from being able to do anything. And, that's not a guess on my part. Mitch McConnell openly bragged about what he was doing and why. His motivations were completely transparent. And, it all culminated with the Republicans refusal to even hold confirmation hearings for Garland (who they knew they could not keep off the court on his merits). What you are witnessing now is not the zenith. It's just walking calmly along a preestablished plataeu.

A few other responses to your comments. First, I agree with your point about how you can throw up any old accusation and try to thwart a nomination. But, this is a serious, and crdible, accusation. It would be one thing if this was the first time any time ever heard her say this. But, it's not. She has been talking about this for years and had thrown his name out before. There is no doubt that part of the thinking of the Democrats is if they can delay this they can block it, but there is plenty of time. I said originally that you can't keep him off the court for an accusation about an incident from 36 years ago that is unsubstantiated, unadjudiciated, and uncorroborated. But, before you can say that none of those criteria are met, someone needs to go ask questions.

Second, the complaints about the FBI being involved are misdirected. The issue isn't whether or not there is an accusation of a federal crime. The FBI conducts background checks for federal employees and political appointees. That is part of their role and the are experts at it. If there is new information here that did not come up in the previous background checks, then before you grant a lifetime appointment to someone into a position of incredible power and influence, you have an obligation to check it out. I saw this morning that the Senate Judiciary Committee is quietly investigating and looking to see if there are any corroborating witnesses. But, it really should be the FBI (and I suspect part of the reason the Republicans don't want the FBI invovled is because of the optics - many people will associate their involvement in a background check with a criminal investigation and they may think that will give the accussation legs).

I still think Kavanaugh shoudl be kept off the court because there is evidence he perjured himself. I also think the appointment should go to Merrick Garland, but that clearly isn't going to happen. We'll see what comes out of it by the end of this week, I suppose. I continue to think that unless some other witness comes forward then she is going to testify that it happened, he is going to testify that it didn't, and that will be the end of it. Unless she can convince 3 Republicans to vote against confirmation he's going to be confirmed sometime next week. If some witness comes forward with information that will obviously change the the calculus here.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Btw, reports out this morning that the Republicans on the Judiciary Committee are considering having a single lawyer - a woman - question Dr. Ford this week. Speaking of optics, I guess they are very concerned about the optics of 11 men ripping into this woman on TV. They also agreed to her requests for limited camera access (an easy thing to agree to since I think that favors them as well as helps her), providing police protection (which seems like an obvious thing to agree to) and to give her breaks when she needs them.

I still think nothing is coming out of this.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:20 pm

There is now a 2nd woman accusing Kavanaugh. This one is claiming an incident frpm like his freshman year at Yale. There is an article in The New Yorker with the details. I skimmed it but it reads like she didn't initially remember anything and had to be talked into making the accusation. And then apparently it was after she consulted her attorney.

This is really crazy. I hope this isn't the de facto new standard we all have to live by, but I suspect it is.