Politics

sameoldlama

Re: Politics

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 pm

There is a guy I know from gym - known him for probably about 15 - 20 years. When I first met seemed like anyone else but after hanging out with him a few times I quickly learned:

1. He had anger and control issues - especially when it came to women
2. He had stalked a couple women after relationships ended
3. He had a proclivity for sexual kink that even made the libertarian in me think some freedoms should be limited - even between consenting adults

I distanced myself from guy and when people asked why I told them "of all the things I want to be one of them is not a witness" - similar to the kid B&W's son dealt with who hurled the racial slur, in general guy is a goof and you know sooner or later you will be collateral damage to their stupidity. The worst part was he really didn't drink - this was when he was sober

I've also seen him measure up girls in the gym I was friends or acquaintances with - and I warned them - and after a few conversations or contacts with him they thanked me. Maybe that comes with age.
Last edited by sameoldlama on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Whatever Kavanaugh may have been as a high school or college age kid, I don't think that's who he is now. All these accusations go back decades to when he was a teen or in his very early 20s. There has been no indication he has been a drunken buffoon molesting women since college.

But, these are serious accusations. He's not being accused of shoplifting or some petty thing. He's accused of trying to rape one woman, assaulting another and being involved with a plan to drug and rape others. And the people accusing him are credible. They are consistent and willing to testify under oath. One did today and, if you watched her, it's hard to doubt her sincerity.

Givem the magnitude of the accusations and the position he may obtain how can anyone reasonably argue we shouldn't have the FBI do what they do and check it out? I don't get that so explain it to me.
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:37 pm

The time for accusations and investigations was when he was nominated - not at the 11th hour - I would say the timing of the accusations - at least for me - makes them seem potentially politically motivated.

The accuser being represented by Avanatti had a restraining order filed against by an ex who claimed after breaking up with her she threatened him his family and continued after he married another woman and had a child. And of all coincidences she was represented in a sexual harassment suit she filed against an employer by the law firm where Ford's lawyer worked (that's quite a small world).

The appearance that these accusations where timed to derail slam dunk confirmation at the last minute are hard to ignore. Had the Ds played this card 2 months ago Trump could have had another nominee in place and confirmed. If Kavanaugh is dumped or not confirmed the Ds achieve their goal of pushing this past the mid term and then looking to stall for 2 years until next POTUS election.

I don't believe for a minute that the career Rs or Ds give an Emmert what the truth is - they just want to achieve their political end and will do anything short of murder to do it. This isn't about what happened at teen parties 35 years ago - it's about controlling a court and public policy - it's about power.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 pm

sameoldlama wrote:The time for accusations and investigations was when he was nominated - not at the 11th hour - I would say the timing of the accusations - at least for me - makes them seem potentially politically motivated. So he was nominated months ago. This woman needed to sit down and possibly decide if this was worth it ro her an her family. I have a feeling there are a few Mericans who would want to kill her and her family at the moment! 11th hour, 12 hr, or 24 hr- lets figure out.

The accuser being represented by Avanatti had a restraining order filed against by an ex who claimed after breaking up with her she threatened him his family and continued after he married another woman and had a child. And of all coincidences she was represented in a sexual harassment suit she filed against an employer by the law firm where Ford's lawyer worked (that's quite a small world).So that might be 1 person who might be involved for whatever reasons. Didn't we see a few wack jobs do this with the PSU scandal?

The appearance that these accusations where timed to derail slam dunk confirmation at the last minute are hard to ignore. Had the Ds played this card 2 months ago Trump could have had another nominee in place and confirmed. If Kavanaugh is dumped or not confirmed the Ds achieve their goal of pushing this past the mid term and then looking to stall for 2 years until next POTUS election.From what I gather this guy could be a deciding vote on a lot of issues

I don't believe for a minute that the career Rs or Ds give an Emmert what the truth is - they just want to achieve their political end and will do anything short of murder to do it. This isn't about what happened at teen parties 35 years ago - it's about controlling a court and public policy - it's about power.I cast my vote solely based on the supreme court nominations. THAT WAS IT. So I care about who will end up deciding issues for this country or what my daughter will have to deal with in the future.

BTW, I found the Republican's kind of douchebags in this whole hearing. They kept harping that this man has been put through hell. FYI, if he is innocent then he has nothing to worry about. Let the FBI do their "Background Check". I loved how the republicans kept using their time to say that the FBI doesn't complete investigations- freakin semantics. Okay, lets call them background checks! I don't care what you call them, just make sure a person who possibly sexually assaulted females can't sit in a seat for the rest of their life and make decisions that influence the entire USA. I am baffled as to why time can't wait 1 week to find things out.

BTW, didn't the republicans do this when Obama tried to elect a judge before he left office?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:56 am

sameoldlama wrote:The time for accusations and investigations was when he was nominated - not at the 11th hour - I would say the timing of the accusations - at least for me - makes them seem potentially politically motivated.

Per her testimony yesterday, given under oath, Dr. Ford was trying to reach someone in the process the minute she heard Kavanaugh was being considered and before he was the nominee. It took some time for her to get anyone's attention and not until after he was named. But, she tried. And, although her account is uncorroborated that is only because of a steadfast refusal to corroborate it. That the Democrats chose to sit on the accusation for a period of time for obvious political reasons doesn't make her account any less credible and any less concerning.

Kavanaugh himself yesterday said it was "common sense" that other witnesses be spoken to. The American Bar Association, which is by no means a partisan organization, issued a statement after the hearings yesterday that there has to be further investigation. The editors of the The Jesuit Review, an organization that has happily endorsed Kavanaugh came out this morning and stated his nomination should be outright withdrawn. They don't even want to wait for the FBI investigation because they have concluded that his answers show he's been less than forthright in all of this.

You have 2 witnesses here - 1 who is asking for further review by the FBI and the calling of additional witnesses and 1 who, despite admitting it's common sense to call more, has refused to agree to a further review by the FBI and additional calling of witnesses. Kavanaugh was specificaly asked this question and he dodged it. Trump has refused to re-open the background checks despite their being new information. Why do you suppose that is? I suppose it's because they know that if asked there are a bunch of people who will substantiate the stories of his partying days. And, while we all have our partying pasts, what we don't all have is testimony under oath that we didn't drink but instead spent our weekends going to church and doing charity work. A further background check could lead to purjury charges at this point.

sameoldlama wrote:The accuser being represented by Avanatti had a restraining order filed against by an ex who claimed after breaking up with her she threatened him his family and continued after he married another woman and had a child. And of all coincidences she was represented in a sexual harassment suit she filed against an employer by the law firm where Ford's lawyer worked (that's quite a small world).

So? I'm not sure how that impacts something she claims happened when she was a teenager. You want to use that to impeach her credibility, that's fine. But, there are apparently other witnesses who have said they will come forward to corroborate her account. You know who else has said she wants to come forward and talk? Mark Judge's old girlfriend. So, fine, one of these accusers is not a perfect human being. I suspect some of the thousands of people who were molested by priests in PA that are highlighted in the AG report grew up to have some problems, commit crimes, etc. That doesn't make what happened to them any less real.

sameoldlama wrote:The appearance that these accusations where timed to derail slam dunk confirmation at the last minute are hard to ignore. Had the Ds played this card 2 months ago Trump could have had another nominee in place and confirmed. If Kavanaugh is dumped or not confirmed the Ds achieve their goal of pushing this past the mid term and then looking to stall for 2 years until next POTUS election.

I don't believe for a minute that the career Rs or Ds give an Emmert what the truth is - they just want to achieve their political end and will do anything short of murder to do it. This isn't about what happened at teen parties 35 years ago - it's about controlling a court and public policy - it's about power.

There is little doubt in my mind the Dems used Dr. Ford to further their political agenda. It is what it is. But, that doesn't mean we ignore the accusations, avoid any search to get to the truth, and just vote for this guy to have a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. There were reports out early that the Republicans asked Trump to pick someone else because they knew Kavanaugh had some issues that could be exploited. There have been rumors of gambling and questions about how he can afford his house and country club on what he earns as an employee of the federal government. I don't know if anyone knew there were sexual assault accusations looming, but it does seem they knew aobut his drinking and partying days. They put up a guy that made this easy. Oh well. You don't have to like how it has been handled, but I can't believe the answer is just to shrug your shoulders and vote him on.

And, as to who cares about the truth - the American public really should.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Well, it's all irrelevant and it seems to be all over but the shouting. The Republicans said the Judiciary Committee is going to vote today to send the confirmation to the full Senate next week. And, Jeff Flake said he's going to vote for confirm. That means even if Collins and Murkowski vote "no", it is probalby a tie, Pence breaks the tie, and Cavanaugh is on the Supreme Court. I have seen some indications that there may be one more Republican, other than Flake, who may vote "no" but I guess we will find out.

I think the Republicans are making a huge mistake here. As things stand now, the Democrats are unlikely to take the Senate. There are only 6 Republican Senators up in November and the Democrats are not a lock to hold the 48 seats they have right now. Even if the Republicans lose Texas and maybe another seat, it seems the best the Democrats could hope for is 50-50 with Pence as the tie breaker over and over. At least that was the calculus prior to this whole thing. I've read a few things the past 48 hours that say women are really, really pissed off and that may not go well for the Republicans in November and in 2020. I guess we will find out. People tend to have short memories.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 pm

It's not over yet. Jeff Flake seems to have forced an investigation by the FBI. I have to think those two women who confronted him this morning had an impact on this.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Flake is now saying he won't vote to confirm unless there is an FBI investigation. Murkowski is saying the same thing, but insisting it be limited in scope and duration. I think that's reasonable. So, does Trump agree to let the FBI back in and hope they don't turn anything up or do they just pull him? Lady or the tiger.

One thing about the Trump presidency - it ain't boring.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 am

Yet another ticket I could get behind.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Hey, remember that time when Judge Kavanaugh testified, under oath, and on live television that was watched by millions of people, that the first time he heard of the allegation that while in college he exposed himself to a classmate and made her touch it was when the whole world found out about it from The New Yorker? Well, it turns out ... oops.

I can't believe he survives this. He said a bunch of things, under oath, that witnesses are saying are flat out lies. He has arguably perjured himself and he clearly wasn't honest with the Judiciary Committee. And, while I've not seen it come up yet, it is conceivable that he could be brought before the state bar ethics committee in whatever states he holds his law license and face actions for his conduct. Lawyers get disbarred for things like this.

And, despite all that, I still put the odds of him making it on the Supreme Court as better than 50-50.