Politics

Crowbar

Re: Politics

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:23 am

Any thoughts whether we invade Venezuela? Wag the dog, maybe?

https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-fore ... e0185.html
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:31 am

What possible justificaiton can there be for the US to interfer in Venezuela?
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

When has justification been a factor? I mean, in the past decade or so...

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:04 pm

It's official.....did my taxes and will owe nearly double what I owed for 2017 on roughly the same amount of income. WTF happened to my gigantic tax refund? Thank you president trump. You won't be seeing that check for two more months.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:48 pm

I don't think it was widely reported, or maybe I missed it, but the biggest tax break came on your paycheck. When the new tax laws came in to place, you should have seen a reduction of the federal tax withheld from your check, assuming income level stayed relatively the same. When the new tax laws came in to place, I actually increased my federal w/h to what it was before the new laws. I know that's not a help with your current taxes, but that is my understanding of how the tax "reduction" worked this year.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 pm

I don't see how an average person's taxes could have gone up from last year unless (a) their income went up or (b) they somehow lost a large tax deduction they previously had or (c) they made a mistake filling out their tax return. The federal income tax brackets for 2017 and 2018 clearly indicate the tax rates went down. Not to mention the standard deduction nearly doubled.

I have to send Uncle Sam a check, but it's a couple thousand lighter than the one I would have sent last year on the same income.
Klaatu barada nikto

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Paycheck!.....paycheck?.......I don't got no paycheck......I don't got to show you no stinking paycheck! I'm retired, dammit. Where's the life-changing, gigantastic middle class tax break that I was promised?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:16 pm

I guess you'll have to compromise on the Harley.

Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:41 pm

I have owed more than I expected the past few years. First because my sone aged out and I forgot to change my withholding amounts. Then I got a new job and filled the form out wrong. (That’s because I’m an idiot, I think). When the tax laws changed moving into 2018, I went back in and changed my paperwork and hoped for the best. Assuming I have all of my documents in place, I am getting maybe a Benjamin back from the feds and five of them from the state.

But compared to a few years ago, when I had two kids in the house, I was getting a couple grand back each year. I kind of like breaking even better since I’m not giving the feds free money for a year.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:25 pm

psu_dad wrote:I don't see how an average person's taxes could have gone up from last year unless (a) their income went up or (b) they somehow lost a large tax deduction they previously had or (c) they made a mistake filling out their tax return.

A lot of people take extra deductions to decrease their withholdings. If you have a big write off from state and local taxes, a mortgage, and a home equity loan it made a lot of sense to do that. From what I understand, if you didn't change your withholdings at the start of the year you could have a problem now.
Is it baseball season yet?