Politics

sameoldlama

Re: Politics

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 pm

On the utilities / phone / cable - yeah some of those fees are from provider but all levels of gov't take a little bite out of you too. They make them fairly small - couple bucks - but on services everyone uses and pays monthly it's a huge revenue generator that's never part of the up front advertised cost. On hotels / car rental it's pretty much all govt.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:12 pm

On hotels / car rental it's pretty much all govt.

Maybe it is with car rental but I know for a fact that not all those fees for hotels are real. Some absolutely are, but some are not.
Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Blue&White wrote:On hotels / car rental it's pretty much all govt.

Maybe it is with car rental but I know for a fact that not all those fees for hotels are real. Some absolutely are, but some are not.

I get an itemized bill and they are specifically listed as local / state taxes - for business I'm not staying at a resort where you might pick up those miscellaneous surcharges.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm

I know how it's billed. Your cable bill passes bullshit stuff on too that says it's a regulatory fee. Some of it is and some of it isn't.

Try an experiment - next time you're on the road find something to complain about. Watch how fast some of those "taxes" come off the bill. Then play a thought experiment: how can they waive taxes to compensate you for a bad experience? The answer is they can't.

Some of that really is state and local governments. But, the hotels bury extra money in there. And, not everything labeled a "tax" really is. I suppose some states may have laws to protect against that bullshit but I'm positive most do not.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:17 am

I am hearing about all this blackface stuff back in the day. I was born in 76 and I never really knew that putting black paint on your face while portraying a black person was wrong. Am I missing something? I would never dress up as a KKK dude with a minority in the pick, but if I dressed up as Martin Luther King in 1988 when I was 12 I am guessing that I might have put black makeup on my face (BTW, this never happened). I am assuming a lot of these politicians were mocking black people which is why they don't say they didn't know it was wrong.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 am

Am I missing something?

Yes.

Blackface goes back to old minstrel shows where white people would dress up as black people for the purpose of making fun of them for entertainment purposes. It is part of a long, ugly history of how this country has treated minorities and specifically black people. You may legitimately be unaware of it, but it's tough to believe that college age kids from the south in the late 70s and early 80s were not aware of the history or the meaning.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 am

Well stated BW. But I think grower is right - many people and youth (if not most) have little idea of the sad origin.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:58 am

There was a principal that was pretending to be Steve Harvey at a staff. I think this happened the other month. She put some black on her face and apparently a pic was taken. People were pissed and I was confused. She wasn't being rotten so I did some research and learned what BW just said. I am guessing that a chunk of these guys knew that putting black on their face was wrong, but until recently I didn't know why it was wrong.

BTW, I was just talking to my wife about something that happened Friday night at a restaurant. We eat dinner every Friday night with an elderly gentleman. He is 84 years old and we always have the same server who is in her 70's. The server has a few chickens that she raises and she was telling us about them. She called one of the chickens retarded. I started to think in my head how languages change over time. My grandma calls black people colored. I could go on but I thought it was interesting.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:21 pm

The VA mess is quite - well a mess. While I don't condone the blood seeking social media / media / political mob I have to admit the schadenfraude of this happening to the liberals who have pushed these type of public crucifixions is kind of entertaining. And if all three Ds under fire right now a R will become governor.

In regards to the Governor - I am more disturbed by his comments on really, really late term abortion more than the yearbook photo from 4 decades ago. Abortion rights are not my key voting issue - I'd say I don't have an issue with a woman getting an abortion - for any reason - in the first trimester and would be fine with late term abortions if the mother's health were at risk. But when a baby is being birthed or post birth? At that point even I have say WTF. In regards to his pic - there's no way to explain or nuance that photo - it only has one meaning and intent. And if he had a record of professional life and governing that demonstrated that was a single very, very stupid incident from his past an apology would suffice. But claiming you are not in photo, were unaware of it but apologized for it and the fact you are not bringing an absolute Emmertstorm on whoever supposedly did put that unauthorized photo of you - sorry dude that doesn't wash. He's now pledging to dedicate his administration to fixing all the racial wrongs in VA and don't you know he's uniquely qualified to do so because this experience has given him an epiphany about his white privilege. This POS should go.

In regards to the Lt. Gov - he's denied the sexual assault claims and thus I feel he deserves due process. He should not have to resign his position "to fight this as a private citizen" as Ds are calling for him do - the damage to his career would be done even if he is exonerated. He's called for an investigation so either these woman go to the cops (not the press, not to lawyers, not to social media) or FBI or let this guy go. It will be a ugly world if we keep letting people have their lives destroyed over an accusation.

In regards to the AG, he has admitted to using blackface for a costume. In regards to things like this from 30 years ago I would say if someone wanted to be Michael Jackson for Halloween - because they loved MJ - had all his albums, posters of him on their wall, went to see him in concert - I'd be more forgiving as I would see their intent as complimentary and not malicious (as with the KKK photo). I'd say he took his fandom too far and needs to dial it back but I wouldn't say the person needs to be put on a 4' x 4' raft and floated out to sea. In present times everyone should pretty much understand this is a no go.

I know this board leans left but you guys need to reel in the insanity a little - between this and the sheer stupidity constantly coming out of AOC and Omar and the absolute horror show that the D POTUS primary line up is turning into (seriously - the Orioles are going into this spring with a more talented roster) - I mean - you did it - you're making DT look like a reasonable guy.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm

I live in Virginia, obviously. Depending on where you get your news, it is possible the governor was not correctly quoted. I assume that is the case as you referred to it as late term abortion. First, Northop is a pediatrician ( or was prior to a life in politics) so he is more informed than most newscasters. Second, his comments we in regard to an child born with a low chance at survival do to genetic issues. It is a tragic situation, but it does happen. I am not advocating one way or the other.

Aside from that, this is a real shot show down here. I almost expect the Lt Gov to resign and get replace with a Democrat before the governed steps aside.