Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm

Nittany Flier wrote:I guess you could classify this as ancient history, but I believe Nixon won the popular vote and lost the electoral vote to Kennedy.

Flier - Nixon did not win the popular vote, but he lost it by a hair's breath. Something like 120,000 votes nation wide, which is really amazing when you think about it (and there were allegations of voter fraud in Texas and Illinois that potentially could have boosted Kennedy on the popular vote). There were also some issues with the electoral college as some electors did not vote the popular vote and cast their votes for someone else. I believe Mississippi and Alabama cast their electoral votes for a different candidate (can't now recall his name, but it was basically a Democrat that wasn't a Catholic - remember this was a Klan dominated south and they weren't voting for a Papist).

Carl

The assertion that the Russian's interfered in our elections trying to influence them is pretty funny. Of course, they did as did most other nations. They were wildly unsuccessful as usual because it is incredibly difficult to interfere in a national election in the USA.

I agree with you. I think there was "interference" by the Russians in the sense that different nations play this game. But, the idea that a few hundred thousdand dollar investment by the Russians (which is what is being alleged) was sufficient to elect a President is, to me, ridiculous. Whomever above said the problem was that Hillary ran an awful campaign is, in my view, spot on. She didn't really campaign in states that voted for Obama but where it was close. She basically ignored PA, MI and WI and all 3 of those went for Trump. She is an awful person and was an awful candidate. That's why Trump won. There were all kinds of polls out at the time that said had Sanders been the candidate he would have mopped the floor with Trump. But, the Democrats rigged the primary to ensure they got her. And, they got completely what they deserved.

The Russian bots showing up on social media is a problem, I guess, but they are not doing any more damage to us than we are doing to ourselves. Our problem was in 2016 our choices were someone awful or someone awful. And, enough people in enough states voted for the someone awful they knew less about.

All the Democrats who presumed that Mueller was going to find proof of collusion look like a bunch of schmucks right now. And, their parsing the report and saying that it doesn't fully exonerate Trump (and I'm sure it doesn't) misses the point. The piont is - no collusion. He can now beat that drum until November of 2020. The Dems better hope the economy goes quickly south (and it may) or we are all going to have to live with 4 more years of The Donald.
Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Bdub, The Muller report only cost $40 mill? That is a bargain for two years of political hyperbole and media speculation, 99% erroneous. :( :shock: :o :? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Now where is the $%$^@$#^#@ sarcasm button?
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 pm

I thought the report said that they didn't find enough evidence of collusion? BTW, not sure why Mueller isn't deciding whether to charge Trump or not. I don't really understand that!

One problem is that you have a ton of Americans who can't think for themselves. They see or read things on Facebook and can't decipher fake news from real news because they get all of their news from MSNBC or Fox news. Russia just used American Idiots against the Dems. Green Day has an album and wrote a song called American Idiot so they must have been onto something :D

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Well they say when you get old, memory is the second thing to go.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:47 pm

I didn’t expect collusion to be found, but I would have bet solid money on obstruction. I could point to several things Trump said that I thought were grounds starting with the Lester Holt interview after firing Comey. The other thing I can’t wrap my head around is the disdains many Republicans seem to have for the DOJ and FBI; these used to be staples for conservatives. Or, at least I thought they were. Obviously, I don’t know as much as I thought.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:05 pm

Flier - 8-)

Lion - obstruction is a question of fact, not a question of law. Mueller couldn't really find obstruction. He could have charged someone if he thought he had sufficient evidence but it seems he punted.

I doubt this is the end of it, but it's the end of it for me. I really hope everyone can move onto other things now, but I am not getting my hopes up.
Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:07 pm

The more you learn about an agency or deal with them, the more you form your own opinions. That sums up my families issues with law enforcement. The emphasis is on enFORCEment. Too many like their badge and gun A LOT TOO MUCH. It's a bit worse in Ohio where there is a three to one advantage in cop #'s vs in PA.

Our personal experience is more than enough for my distrust of them. When you do no wrong yet are made the butt for their delusions of power you lose the respect you formerly had for the group. When it happens in 80% of your encounters with the group it's easy to have no respect for them. I can't imagine being a real minority and suffer the added issues they deal with when encountering LEO's. Far too many stories of abusive use of power, far too many. I'm sure responses will say how your experiences have been spectacular or you know a cop, down the street who is a great guy. All that matters to me is my and my families experiences, a woman and infant child left in sub-zero temps. along an Interstate Highway with no notification to a tow truck, her husband or anyone for help, he just left her there because "he had a meeting". I don't need to type any more than that. NO meeting is more important than a helpless woman and child. Protect and serve my @$$. Protect your fat pension and collect it in leisure at 50 years old.

I agree totally that the R's loved LEO'S at every level. Their mistake and their recompense. A lesson they shouldn't have to relearn but they will.

Personally, I would expect similar issues and treatment from the DOJ, etc. Promotions don't change personality.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Blue&White wrote:
Lion - obstruction is a question of fact, not a question of law. Mueller couldn't really find obstruction. He could have charged someone if he thought he had sufficient evidence but it seems he punted.

I get that. He said he fired Comey because of the Russia thing. While I am no expert on law, that statement sounds like a fact. And many have said he didn’t intend to obstruct, I assume this references comments like “Russia, if you are listening...” Maybe he was being funny, but words matter. Especially when seeking or occupying the highest seat in the land. But, as we all know, he could shoot a guy on 5th avenue and get away with it.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Carl Spackler wrote:Bdub, The Muller report only cost $40 mill? That is a bargain for two years of political hyperbole and media speculation, 99% erroneous. :( :shock: :o :? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Now where is the $%$^@$#^#@ sarcasm button?

Respectfully, it included a laundry list of indictments and convictions, and seizing of assets (Manafort), almost enough to put all this in the black.

Lets run another Bengazi investigation though. :roll:
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Here is something that might unite us, right, left, middle, alike.

Michael Avenatti, scumbag and opportunist extraordinaire, has been arrested for trying to extort . . . Nike!?! What a maroon. Good riddance you slimy sonofagun.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/25/michael-avenatti-to-be-charged-with-wire-and-bank-fraud.html
- Nat

Let's Go State!!