Politics

psu_dad

Re: Politics

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm

As I get older, I seem to be exporting more gas. But it didn't occur to me to refer to it as "molecules of psu_dad". This is why I could never make it in a PR gig.

Mrs psu_dad: Talk about "really creepy".
Me: Fine.
Fire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 pm

I wonder if the government has a collection of stupid ideas laying around that they just pick from when they need to refocus a bad news day. I mean, it really seems like they do but they have got to be running low at this point.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu May 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Seems like a top-down push from the unscientific in DOE to promote gas exports. Snowball effect accelerated by the media hyperbole on this gaffe.

Believe-you-me, the bottom-up reaction in DOE is: :oops: :evil: :roll:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 30, 2019 3:09 pm

I'm sure this was a top down decision and the rank-and-file are like "da fuq?". This clearly came from the political management, not the career people who are there to do a job.

As for this helping exports - I doubt it. Much of the world already finds us arrogant and overbearing going back decades. Having gas trucks show up blasting Born in the USA! isn't going to make people want to buy more from us.
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu May 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Obviously not a decision by the science guys.

So, my kid sister lives in England. Several years (15?) ago my father asked her what the Brits think of us Yankees. She said, they don’t think much of us or if us much, but I suppose they would probable like you. My brother chimes in that if it weren’t for us they would be speaking German and she said, without missing a beat, “that attitude is why they don’t like us.”

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Let me get this straight: while Iran is hosting Shinzō Abe, the Prime Minister of Japan, they thought it would be a good idea to not only attack a Japanese oil tanker but also an oil tanker manned by a Russian crew (and owned by a Norwegian company), while Russia is one of the few allies they have remaining. And, the owners of both ships have contradicted the US assertion that the ships were hit by mines and both claim they were hit above the water line - meaning a projectile of some kind. And yet the drum beats for war grow increasingly louder and louder, with the loudest banging being from the exact same asshats who lied us into the Iraq war 17 years ago. The same people that Trump laughed at during the 2016 campaign, and then hired.

None of the official story we are being told makes any logical sense. There is no explanation as to why Iran would do this and the official story is full of holes. And, the majority of the US press is mostly running with it. For all the complaining about how unfair they are to Trump, when he starts to do the tried and true Presidential play of wielding American military might and threatening to launch missiles everyone in the press falls right into line.

I usually cringe when I see people throw out cries of "false flag" because it's become synonymous with lunatic conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones. But, the US has a long and ugly history of using trumped up (no association intended) incidents to convince people we should go to war. Going back to the Spanish-American war and the blowing up of the Maine. But, in the information age, when we can instantly see that not only are we getting fed a lot of bullshit on these incidents but getting fed bullshit by the exact same f*cking people who lied about Iraq there really needs to be a whole lot more critical thinking here.

If this continues a lot of innocent people are going to die. And, that's going to cause a lot of blowback on the average American. And, this really smells like a set up by people who have something to gain from escalated tensions between the US and Iran. It simply makes zero sense for Iran to attack these two ships. And, they are not stupid and they don't need a moron on a keyboard to highlight what is and is not in their strategic interests. But, Japan is one of their last economic hopes. And they attack them? Russia is their last military ally and they attack a Russian crew on a Norwegian ship? It's worth noting, btw, that Japan, Norway and Russia are not blaming Iran. They are all questioning this.

For all the talk about how Trump is doing what he says, there needs to be a lot more focus on all the things he said he would not do that he went back on. He made it a point during the campaign to say he would not get sucked into bullshit like this, and yet here we are on the eve of a potential war. It's insanity. And, per the evidence that has been made public, it's a load of bullshit.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Relax. We're not going to war.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:34 am

Of course not. There is no possible way we will start shooting at each other.

Sincerely,
the population of every single country the past ~100 years literally the day before they found themselves in a shooting war.

And, for the record, I don't expect Trump to be sitting in Cognress giving the modern version of FDR's "December 7th" speech while asking for a formal declaration of war against Iran. Not just becuase he's incapable of doing that but because that ain't how things are done anymore. What I do expect is an increase in the proxy wars the two countries are fighting, increased use of drones (and associated missiles), of terrorism, of US troops being surreptitiously used in places that no one in Congress knows about or approved, and, of course, a lot more death. Perhaps at some point we will get the administration asking congress for a formal approval to use force against Iran but I doubt we will see that immediately. John Bolton and his pack of scumbags know they can't fool everyone again with that. But, I am fairly confident that there is going to be an uptick in military action by both sides unless someone comes to their senses. And, I think you're seriously kidding yourself if you think that is not going to happen.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:15 pm

I don't expect Trump to be sitting in Cognress giving the modern version of FDR's "December 7th" speech while asking for a formal declaration of war against Iran.

If you did, I would have prescribed 2 pills.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm already on a script for Fukitol. They don't mix well.
Baseball season!!!!