Politics

LioninVa

Re: Politics

Postby LioninVa » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Fulitol is a favorite of mine. I wash it down with a good lager.

That said, I read where someone I. The administration, not sure if it was Bolton or Pompeo or some other asshat, but the cat was essentially claiming that POTUS doesn’t need approval from Congress anymore. Something to do with post 9-11 or something.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am

psu_dad wrote:Relax. We're not going to war.

Iran says it's 'completely ready for war' after US military confirms it shot down American drone

"Ready" for war is not the same as war and public sabre rattling may be vastly different than what is being said behind the scenes. But, an escalation in tensions is not a good thing. And, it certainly makes a shooting war more likely, not less.

Like I said before - someone needs to take a step back from the crazy. And, I suspect the Iranians are going to have to be the adults in the room.
Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:57 am

I read that the NYT reported that Trump isn’t interested in a war with Iran. I forget how Habermann (I think that’s her name) worded it, but I suppose it is a good thing. The confusing part is that he hired a chicken hawk in Bolton, who really seems like he is ramping up for a conflict.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:05 am

We definitely need to bill them for that drone. Those suckers are expensive.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

I read that the NYT reported that Trump isn’t interested in a war with Iran.

He's sure acting now like he doesn't. I saw he's giving the Iranian government the benefit of the doubt on downing the drone and is trying to walk back the crazy. The more hawkish elements of his administration seem to be itching for a fight but I give him credit for trying to tone the rhetoric down. And, I am genuinely surprised he is capable of doing that. I did not think he had it in him.

This morning I was bit worried that this situation was going to just become Overwhelmed By Events and people would lose control as each side escalated their position and their rhetoric. Trump is now doing the exact opposite of what I expected. Good for him.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Right. After saying they made a big mistake or were in big trouble, whatever it was, he said that he did t think they meant to do it. I interpreted that to mean they accidentally shot it down. Not likely. Then I realized he is saying this was akin to some rogue action rather than sanction by whomever is really in charge.

I don’t pretend to have a clue as to what is going on over there.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:12 am

New York Times is reporting that Trump originally ordered a military strike against Iran after the drone was shot down, but changed his mind at the last second.

Jeez, that's frightening. The idea that we were going to attack Iran directly over this is nuts. I wonder what made him change his mind.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:57 am

What on earth would possess someone who had access to such classified information to blab to the NYT?
Fire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:01 am

Crazy developments to be sure. I don’t think this kind of reporting is anything new. Reporters have been able to pull classified information from those in the know before, and with an inexperienced and arguably less than stable commander in chief, someone felt this was worth letting the public know.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 am

So it wasn't politically motivated. It was an act of conscience. That makes me feel better. Does this mean Eric Snowden can come home now?
Fire Alex Cora