Politics

Nat@PSU

Re: Politics

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:31 pm

LioninVa wrote:But deep down I think that comment came because he was called retarded. Only one is allowed to call others names.

Maybe if their president sent an oversized letter eating pariases and platitudes, they could become friends...

The letter would need to be "beautiful".
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:15 am

I assume everyone is at least vaguely familiar with the latest immigration news, including the detention centers at the boarder and the stories of the conditions that children are being held under. Yesterday, employees from Wayfair, a Boston based online furniture sales company, walked out in protest of Wayfair doing business with the companies that run these detention centers. A bunch of employees walking out may not really have much impact, though.

Today, however, Bank of America announced they will no longer due any business with companies engaged in the private prison industry or running the immigration detention centers. They join JPMC and Wells Fargo who said a few months ago that they will not do business with companies running private prisons or detention centers. So, they are a little late to the party, but a 3rd big bank pulling out is going to add more pressure to both Trump administration and these companies in general.

I do not believe for one minute that Bank of America, JPMC or Wells Fargo made these decisions based on moral or altruistic reasons. I think they are reading the tea leaves and they have data that suggests involvement with these companies is going to result in a public backlash that will hurt their bottom line. That they are taking such public action makes me think that you are going to soon see a political switch on these issues. You are already seeing politicians on both sides of the aisle racing to do "something" after the picture of that drowned man and his toddler aged daughter trying to cross the Rio Grande river the other day. That, along with what's become public about the centers, is going to send people scrambling. Elected officials are likely going to see the same data that the big banks are seeing - the public doesn't like this. And, unfortunately for the Republicans, they are likely going to get most of the blame (despite these centers being created by Obama and his administration sending the exact same lawyers to make the exact same arguments in federal court about not needing to provide soap and showers to these children). But, I suspect we are going to see a big political shift on this soon. No idea what the outcome is going to be, but this is about to become a bigger issue. Bank (no pun intended) on it.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:26 am

... the public doesn't like this

What's to like? It's a horrifying photo. But it should have squat to do with immigration policy. What are we supposed to do? Acquire a fleet of duck boats to ferry illegal immigrants across the border?
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 am

I actually think it's interesting that the photo of the dead father and daughter seems to be more galvanizing (at least my perception) than the stories of the children in the centers. The detention centers are completely within our control. The guy who tried to swim the river is not. But, when I said "the public doesn't like this" I was referring more to the centers than the drowned guy and his daughter. The public obviously doesn't like that, either, but I think that is less of a policy issue than just something awful that happened.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:53 am

If by "interesting" you mean "bizarre", then we agree.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes. Bizarre. Maybe even ironic as well.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:19 pm

That we, during anyone's administration, treat human beings like this is shameful. Some people are quicker to see and feel the shame in it.

Others, less so . . .
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:20 pm

I’M A JOURNALIST BUT I DIDN’T FULLY REALIZE THE TERRIBLE POWER OF U.S. BORDER OFFICIALS UNTIL THEY VIOLATED MY RIGHTS AND PRIVACY

That's not a short read but I recommend you all take the time to read it. It's horrifying. And, for the life of me, I can't understand how any part of this is remotely Constitutional.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Psssssst . . .

It's not.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

tempe

Postby tempe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 am

We are - and have been for sometime - an image driven world. Few people read - even fewer can make meaning of what they read. Unless it's a meme.

Add to this that images are often no longer "true," we are quickly becoming a even bigger nation of idiots -

Deepfake - watch your wife or neighbor gang-banged with the body you always wished they had - just the way you want it.

We are, good people, in deep trouble.

back to the issue -

Read your Agamben - basically - a state that has the ability to become a totalitarian state - already is.
http://www.cosmosandhistory.org/index.p ... ile/77/153

https://altexploit.files.wordpress.com/ ... s-2005.pdf