Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Blue&White wrote:Oh, that list may change again as I don't see Acosta surviving. In case you missed it, it has recently become an issue that when he was the USAG in Miami he worked out a secret plea deal for a wealthy sexual predator named Jeff Epstein. The allegations are incredible and the recent expose by the Miami Herald are probably going to force him out sometime in the next few weeks.

I wrote the above last December 9. I can't believe that 8 months and 1 day later people are waking up to this and saying "hey, wait just a second here.....". I mean, WTF?
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:44 pm

I suspect this is more due to Epstein's political influence than Acosta's. The politicians making a stink now? I don't recall them making a stink when the Senate confirmed Acosta's nomination for Labor Secretary by a fairly large (and bi-partisan) margin. Now they're "pulling a Captain Renault".

-------------------------------

In explanations for their confirmation votes on Acosta, the four Democrats who want him to resign claimed they were only just recently made aware of how he handled Epstein's case in Florida, which entailed forgoing federal sex crime charges involving a minor in exchange for a single state charge of soliciting a minor for prostitution. -- Newsweek

Okey-dokey.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm

How would they know? Until the Miami Herald did that story last December, I don't think anyone really knew about what went on. It's not like he was volunteering the information. I think the explanation of "we didn't know" is reasonable in this instance.

As for the question if should he resign - I don't know. I think the explanations he gave today were bullshit. But, his basic argument that, given that the state was ready to kick this scumbag free this was the best he was able to do, may be valid. The whole thing smells awful but it may not be his fault. It's the fact that it all seemed to be done under cover of darkness that makes it seem really, really shady.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:01 pm

The good news is that most cabinet members are empty suits whose underlings do all the heavy lifting. They can find another bozo with a nice wardrobe to read press releases and say "harumph-harumph" at cabinet meetings. It's not like replacing Tom Brady.
Fire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am

The bad news is that POTUS doesn’t think the rules apply to him, or he doesn’t understand them. (Not that this is new or exclusive to this president). Speculation is that Trump will issue an executive order today putting the citizenship question on the census after SCOTUS shot it down. Some think this will erode the separation of powers aspect of our democracy. I think that theory is an over-reaction, but I understand that sentiment.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 am

Usually you need to be careful what you do via executive order because the next guy can just undo it.

Trump and Co don't have that fear with respect to the census because . . . well, once it's done in 2020 they will have solidified their gerrymandered/voter suppression/population advantage.

I wonder if the ambivalence towards this mode of operation would exist if it were Obama openly defying a Supreme Court ruling? I don't think it would be.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:48 am

The ambivalence did not exist for much of what Obama attempted or accomplished. Maybe that is an over generalization.

The concern with the hypothetical EO is more that is could weaken the Supreme Court as an equal branch. Again, I am more skeptical and agree the real concern would be the gerrymandering aspect you mentioned.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Updates:

(1) We're still not going to war with Iran. Apparently, England is.
(2) President Knucklehead is not going to destroy the Founding Father's vision by defying the USSC.
(3) The impending Zombie Apocalypse is still on the table.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 am

Acosta resigned.

You knew that was given. He's become a political pariah. The accusations now coming out to the public by Epstein are horrific and a former prosecutor who let him walk away in a deal that looks like it was influenced by wealth - even if it wasn't and it was entirely reasonable in the circumstances - is not someone you want in your cabinet.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:31 pm

BTW, the Miami Herald story that started Acosta's downfall includes this:

California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein, in opposing Acosta for labor secretary, noted that “his handling of a case involving sex trafficking of underage girls when he was a U.S. attorney suggests he won’t put the interests of workers and everyday people ahead of the powerful and well-connected.’’

So if no one knew at the time, how did she know?

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=B7A0820B-281D-45C8-BC18-CEE0F3AF5D1B
Fire Alex Cora