Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 pm

I read that original story back in December, and even posted it here. I didn't recall that line about Feinstein.

Ok, then I was mistaken: they did know, they didn't care at the time, and they are completely FOS when they now complain about it.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:11 pm

I suppose they could have cared, but once you descend into the lunacy of identity politics, these dilemmas are going to arise. In voting for/against Acosta, they had to choose between pissing off Hispanics and pissing off women.

The "completely FOS" part is probably right, though. They likely wouldn't be in Congress if they weren't completely FOS.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 pm

They also may not have known. But, if the information was available - and it obviously was given what you shared - then they could have known about it with a reasonable amount of due diligence. Who knows at this point.

I do think, though, that it's going to turn out that Epstein's wealth protected him. And, I don't think anyone will be surprised by that.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 pm

I doubt we'll ever know the truth. Acosta claims the only reason the Feds got involved is because the local/state prosecutor totally dropped the ball and local law enforcement officials asked the Feds to get involved. If the not for the Feds involvement, Epstein would have gotten a total walk (according to Acosta). And to top it off, the case was weak (according to Acosta).

The state prosecutor is denying this (surprise-surprise).
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Maybe.

What I don't get is there have been stories about this Epstein scumbag for a number of years. There have been allegations about his island and molesting under age girls for years. There have been stories linking people like Trump and Bill Clinton to him for years. Why now is everyone on top of this? And, more importantly, why was no one following up on these various allegations prior to the Miami Herald story?

Acosta is a small part of the story here. The bigger question is why did law enforcement wait until a newspaper to shame them to do anything about this slime?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 am

With this article being two years old and Acosta being part of the initial nominees for cabinet positions, I don’t see a clear smoking gun as it relates to today. I knew Epstein had take a plea deal years ago and knew he had ties to WJC but was not aware he was tight with Trump. I also didn’t know Acosta was involved in the prosecution. But I am not a member of Congress and wasn’t thinking about it two years ago. I can’t say the same for the Representatives, they should have done some due diligence, but I don’t hold my breath where they are concerned.

I suppose this article should have clued in the handful of Dems that voted to approve Acosta. I don’t know if it would have changed any from the GOP, but it’s possible as it was maybe prior to the fear laden lockstep approval they give POTUS these days. But, what do I know?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:48 am

Why now is everyone on top of this?

$$$

Since the original Epstein case was settled by the Feds over 10 years ago, there have been a couple dozen civil suits filed against Epstein. The Miami Herald doesn't say it in so many words, but it seems pretty clear that the attorneys for the complainants have been the source for much of the information the Herald published. They (the Herald) would prefer to sell this as a Woodward & Bernstein number, but I suspect much of this information fell into their laps via the attorneys involved.

But who knows. There is no one involved in this sordid mess that I trust. Not a soul. Everyone seems to be motivated by either self-interest or butt-covering.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm

On Epstein, it sounds like that Miami Herald aritcle last December set off additional investigations, and what you are seeing now is the culmination of that effort. So, but for the work of journalists, this scumbag would probably still be walking free and not facing any consequences. So, score one for the media.

In other news ... anyone have any interest in commenting? Or, are we just going to pretend it's not hapepning?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:53 pm

I have been thinking about the other news and if to comment. It seems pointless as the lines have clearly been drawn. I consider myself a centrist or moderate, fiscally more conservative and socially more liberal. I grew up with religion (Catholic) but have veered away from the organization as mankind seems to be able to eff up everything.

So, I agree that many are quick to throw out the whatever-it’s moniker when they feel wronged. Recently it seems to be cries of racism, especially with Dear Leader. Sadly, he is incapable of ignoring this and has to engage and make it worse. I have no way of knowing if Trump is a racist or not. I do know that what he says and tweets supports the racist argument but doesn’t prove it. As I said, the lines are drawn and those who support him have sold their souls and defend him to the extreme. The same can be said for the left only opposite. It will continue until the next president is inaugurated, if not longer.

The only thing I expect is that we will continue to become desensitized to this new normal or reality (whichever you prefer) and it will continue to devolve. And that is a shame for the dignity of the office and nation.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:05 pm

... anyone have any interest in commenting?

No. Other than to reiterate that things are going to get worse. Much much worse. Trump didn't produce the problems. The problems produced Trump.
Fire Alex Cora