Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Trump didn't produce the problems. The problems produced Trump.

I generally agree, but he's doing whatever he can to ramp up the crazy. And the ugliness.

Lion:

I have no way of knowing if Trump is a racist or not. I do know that what he says and tweets supports the racist argument but doesn’t prove it.

You have a very easy way of knowing if he's a racist or not - by what he says and does. He's fairly unambigious in his statements. It's not subtle. It's not hidden or covert. If someone goes out of their way to make bigoted statement and push bigoted policies, we don't have to second guess their true feelings. We can take them at their word. Trump is exactly who he is purporting to be - a hateful bigot.

I assure you that David Duke, the rest of the Klan and all the other white power zealots out there aren't parsing his words to figure out his true intentions. They take him at his word - he's a bigot and one of them.
Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:57 pm

I suppose you are correct, B-Dub. Do I believe the president is racist? Absolutely. His actions and words support it, as i alluded to earlier. But I do not know the man and he could just be stupid or maybe even crazy like a fox. That last one is my biggest concern...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:16 pm

But I do not know the man and he could just be stupid or maybe even crazy like a fox.

You're killing me.

It walks, talks, and tweets like a duck. I don't get this need (and this is not directed at you specifically) to quibble about this.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm

For a guy who says he loves America he sure spends an awful lot of time telling the world about all the Americans he doesn't love.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

I don’t mean to quibble, really. I know what I believe and am almost certain about it. Everything points to the man being all sorts of undesirable things, including racist.

But, how many administration ending news stories have we been through this month? I am thinking we are at number three or four. Each one distracts from the previous and seems worse yet the GOP faithful stand behind this guy. Evangelicals stand behind this guy as well. It makes no sense to me.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:20 pm

But, how many administration ending news stories have we been through this month? I am thinking we are at number three or four. Each one distracts from the previous and seems worse yet the GOP faithful stand behind this guy. Evangelicals stand behind this guy as well. It makes no sense to me.

That's a different point entirely, and a very valid one. And, it makes perfect sense to me: it's becuase they don't care. Remember when Bill Clinton got caught in an extramarital affair with Monica Lewinsky? And a number of evangelical leaders, including people like Ralph Reed, issued statements about how character matters in the office of the president? Well, that was a lie. Turns out they didn't give a shit about character. All they cared about was their agenda. And, Trump is giving them things that is important to their personal agenda - and they like it. The rest of this is just bullshit and posturing for the cameras. But, it makes absolutely perfect sense.

In one way, I find this all very refreshing. All the pretexts about caring about this and outrage about that are completely off the table. What Trump has done, for good or bad, is expose how widespread every groups hypocrisy. From now on we no longer need to listen to the religious right caterwaul about how someone they don't like is morally unfit for office becuase of an extramarital affair - because they clearly don't give a shit about that. And, thanks to Obama and his unsacntioned attacks of Libya and the murder of an American citizen without any due process, we can roll our collective eyes at the left when they bitch and moan about Trump's expansion of executive powers and how the constitution never envisioned this. Everyone is a hypocrite. And now no one can deny it.

I take my victories where I can find them, and that is a victory in my mind.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:31 pm

I hope it didn't take you 50 yeas to figure out that politics is mostly bullshit.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:33 pm

No, I knew that early. What has a been a bit of a shock is the level of absolute shamelessness that has been exposed.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm

[quote="LioninVa"] Everything points to the man being all sorts of undesirable things, including racist. /quote]

Oh, let us not generalize. He doesn't deserve to get off that easily. Let's add world-class liar, misogynist, bully, narcissist, blowhard, hypocrite, thin-skinned ignoramus, wannabe fascist, wannabe dictator, wannabe mob boss with a bad comb-over, fake teeth, and a fake smile who sucks the oxygen out of any room he occupies, is the bad president, the bad father, the bad husband, the bad ex-husband, the bad boyfriend, the bad ex-boyfriend, the bad boss, the bad sport, the bad speller and probably the bad tipper (apologies to Seinfeld fans). Have I forgotten anything?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 pm

I have heard he also cheats at golf. Not to mention that he drives on the tee box and greens.