Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 pm

and probably the bad tipper

I swear this is true (or at least as far as I'm aware it's true): I work with someone who grew up in Long Island and was a caddie at some ritzy golf club out there when he was in high school in the mid 80s. He caddied for Donald Trump 3 times one summer. The club minimum tip for a caddie was $5 but Trump stiffed him each time. He concluded the story with "so the President of the United States owes me $15".

I added "plus interest".

I heard this about 2 months ago at a dinner over drinks. I suppose he could have made it up but I'm choosing to believe every single word of it.
Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 pm

I met a guy during the primary race waiting for our sons to finish a school golf match. He had just moved south from NJ and worked at a Trump property. He couldn't say enough good things about the man, for whatever that worth.

Then there are all the reports of contractors he stiffed and contracts he defaulted on. I am inclined to believe your co-worker.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:21 pm

A former colleague of mine ended up working for the Trump real estate company as an attorney. I ran into him in NYC a few years ago (long before Trump announced he was running) and he said it was a good place to work and they treated their employees fairly well. I don't know if ever met the Man himself as he was pretty low down the organization but he said Trump was a good employer.

He is a lousy customer, though. The story of him screwing contractors are well documented.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:26 pm

He was also in front of me at the Xpress Checkout line the other night with a bazillion items. If not for the Secret Service agents, I would have totally kicked his ass.
Fire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am

Anthony Scaramucci gave a couple of interviews this morning stating that he does not believe Trump is not racist, he is heading in that direction with his racist tweets and comments. (My paraphrasing, of course). I believe he was on both CNN and FOX News, but might be mistaken. Within hours, he is rewarded for his honesty as a friend of the president by getting uninvited as a guest speaker at a GOP fundraiser.

While this is not much of a shocker, it does highlight just why so many representatives from the GOP are hesitant to speak out.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 am

The GOP strategy seems to be "even though everyone felt these comments were racist in the past - including the US government and the Republican party - they are not racist now so everyone should stop saying it is". Given that, of course they are not going to invite someone who is going to pee in that punch bowl.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 am

Correct. Additionally, they have added that the term “racist” has been thrown around so much that is no longer has meaning.

While I expected the Mooch to get some blowback, the swiftness was what surprised me. My boss said that anyone - a friend, administrator or even an elected official - that speaks against Trump is essentially adoring to be attack’s by the president and then the entire base/cult.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 am

Well, the word "racist" does get thrown out an awful lot. And, the argument that you can't argue against policy views without being called a name or a racist is an accurate statement. Ironically, the people complaining about that now are the same ones who said Omar was anti-semetic for challenging lobbying on behalf of Israel and what the motivations were. You can't have it both ways, but people try. But, I agree with the point that charges of bigotry get thrown out entirely too freely nowadays.

That said, what Trump said actually was racist. And, it's not just the Democrats saying it. It's the Klan and other overtly white nationalists organizations are agreeing with it - and celebrating it.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:39 am

In this Michigan county, voters feel economic gains and Trump fatigue

Interesting perspective, and out of CNN of all places.

I think this article is spot on. Ultimately, all this other noise isn't going to matter. People vote with their wallets. If the economy is good, he's going to win. If it's bad, he's going to lose. Almost nothing else is going to matter.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:56 pm

I don't have the stomach to post a link (you can find dozens if you google) but apparently Trump is saying he can get "meaningful" background checks passed into law when Congress returns from vacation. And, in the same breath, he says he's having regular conversations with the NRA about this issue and their view must be respected.

What about the views of familes from the 20 mass shootings that took place since he took office? Or from the 41 mass shootings during the 8 year Obama was president? What about the view of the Sandy Hook parents? Don't they deserve to be heard? Aren't their opinions and voices at least as important as that of a special interest lobbyin group?

Good thing he's draining the swamp. :roll:

Oh, and given the criteria he set forth, you can pretty much be assured that fuq all is going to get done - again.