Politics

LioninVa

Re: Politics

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 am

MY best guess is that his ego requires the support and feedback that he gets at campaign rallies and he doesn't get it from regular presidential speeches because of the split in the nation.

I am more concerned with his seeming willingness to use nuclear weapons to destroy an entire nation over the actions of a dictator. I feared he would do something stupid that led us into another war, but I never imagined he would go that far. Much less announce that it would be our response. While it can be argued that he never threatened a nuclear attack, he said we would "totally destroy" them, so I have to think that is his intent. Or he is just bloviating...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 am

He's just bloviating.

He's a harmless bag of wind. If you want to see a deadly bag of wind in action, you should watch the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam currently playing on PBS and get a load of LBJ, He thought protecting an inconsequential country of rice and pig farmers from communism was worth the lives of over 50,000 Americans. President Knucklehead is Thomas Friggin Jefferson compared to him.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

I hope you are right, _dad, but his knuckleheadedness is enough to make me wonder. Add into the mix his penchant to throw a shiny object out to distract (which is an apt yet inept comparison to war) and the fear is stronger.

As for the Burns documentary... I have yet to watch it but the episodes are on my DVR. I will catch up on it when I can. I agree LBJ set the standard for many negative terms in the modern presidencies but this guy is closing fast on most counts.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 am

I'm not convinced Trump is as harmless as dad believes. Maybe he is, but when you are the POTUS and you talk tough like that, you can quickly back the country into a corner where if we don't act our credibility is seriously impacted. The problem with Trump, or maybe it's more accurate to "a" problem with Trump as there is clearly more than one, is he does not seem to understand the weight and power of the office he holds.

As for the Burns documentary, I turned it on but had to grab a bucket after they made the statement to the effect that it started off as a good faith effort to do good in the world. So, we invaded another country and got involved in their internal affairs in a good faith effort to do good in the world. How white of us. I'll get back to watch it at some point, but if that's the kind of statements they make throughout the series, I'm going to need to watch on an empty stomach.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 am

... this guy is closing fast on most counts.

He's not closing in on anything. Nine months in office and he hasn't done a single thing. If the MSM had given LBJ 1/100 of the grief and scrutiny that they've given President Knucklehead, then perhaps it wouldn't have been necessary to build this:

If (God forbid) we have to build another one of these years from now because of President Knucklehead, then I'll be first in line to join your chorus. In the mean time, I'll take a totally transparent liar like President Knucklehead over a skillful and duplicitous liar like LBJ any day of the week.
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 am

I turned it on but had to grab a bucket after they made the statement to the effect that it started off as a good faith effort to do good in the world.

You need to stick with it. It's not a puff piece. By the third episode, when LBJ turns a mess into a historic disaster, then you'll need a bucket.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:24 am

I can handle an honest overview of messy history without any problem. Where my stomach starts to churn is when we start to whitewash history, and that tends to happen a whole bunch when it comes to the US and our involvement in foreign wars. There are very few wars this country has been involved with that our history books don't give an extremely skewed version of. I think WWII is the rare exception and that is because the issue of who was right and who was wrong was pretty blatant. But, even with WWII there is a tendency to pretend certain things didn't happen or reinvent reasons for things after the fact.

So, put another way, I'll have no problem watching a documentary about LBJ lying to the American public and turning Viet Nam into a monumental cluster f*ck. Where I'll start to wretch is if they start blathering about how we had no idea the horse we were backing was actually a dictatorial tyrant with no interest in providing the type of government and freedoms we were selling the public on in the states, or we were in any way victims in that war (I mean us as a nation, not the poor men who were drafted and sent to fight and in many cases die in a place we had no business being).

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am

_dad, If we were talking about legislation, you would be correct, but my closing in comment was in regards to his ability to be an asshole.

Thankfully, this totally transparent liar, as you call him, seems to know little or nothing of how the political process works here. He probably doesn't even realize that he needs Congress to declare war, should that need arise. He is only really familiar with executive orders; probably because he lambasted his predecessor for using them too much...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:35 am

He's an ineffectual clown. Anyone can plainly see that. Again, I'll take that over an effective clown any day of the week.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am

As much as I despise him, the Hillary Clinton "Woe Unto Me" book tour is making me feel better about the whole thing. Trump is a wolf in wolf's clothing. He wears his contempt for the public on his sleeve. Clinton hides hers with polite talk and cozy's up with the establishment. A lot of things that he has done, or says he wants to do, are completely inline with positions that she took during the campaign. I know his supporters keep cheering that he's doing exactly what he says he would do (or they were doing that until he changed his mind on the DACA thing), but that is simply not true. He has reversed himself on almost every campaign position he's had and most of his policies are nearly indistinguishable from those of candidate Hillary Clinton.

The primary difference is people are marching in the streets over it and there is heightened awareness over the impacts of government policies on ordinary people. If she had won, it is highly unlikely any of that would have happened. It's a counter factual and hard to say with certainty but, based on what we saw during the Obama presidency, I think it's a pretty sure bet that the New York Times and Washington Post would not have been gleefully highlighting how President Hillary Clinton was working with Wall Street to make Wall Street richer at the expense of everyone else the way they have with Trump. I suspect they would have been pretty much silent on everything she did.

He absolutely sucks, but there is a bright side to him that never would have existed with her. More awareness and more involvement by the American public can only be a good thing, in my opinion.