Politics

psu_dad

Re: Politics

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 am

We need to spend research money that we don't have to determine that guns are dangerous. That sounds like a plan.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:23 am

I'm pretty sure that's not what I said.

We had 11 school shooting in 2018 already. 11. We're not even a month into the year and we've had 11 school shootings. But, you're idea of doing absolutely nothing at all is clearly the best one. Let's just throw up our hands and be thankful it wasn't our kids or grandkids.

This time.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:31 am

I'm pretty sure that's not what I said.

You keep saying "we" can do more. We who? There is no consensus on what to do.

If you're willing to make me Emperor, I'll tear up the Constitution and confiscate all the guns for you. Until that time, there are people (a lot of them) who believe that any policy strong enough to have any impact is likely to impinge on their right to own guns. Whether or not they're right is irrelevant. Everyone gets a vote, whether they're brilliant or a complete imbecile. And as long as that's the case, all we're doing here is exchanging hot air.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 am

As long as the research includes an examination into why we are seeing an increase in the frequency of people responding in such disproportionality to any actual or perceived slight in my estimation further gun control legislation will have limited effectiveness.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:36 am

As long as the research includes an examination into why we are seeing an increase in the frequency of people responding in such disproportionality to any actual or perceived slight in my estimation further gun control legislation will have limited effectiveness.

Agree. The fact that Americans CAN easily kill each other is obviously bad. But the fact that so many WANT to kill each other is much more alarming to me. I could have an arsenal in my basement and it wouldn't matter. I don't want to kill anyone.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 am

sameoldlama wrote:As long as the research includes an examination into why we are seeing an increase in the frequency of people responding in such disproportionality to any actual or perceived slight in my estimation further gun control legislation will have limited effectiveness.

Sure. include it. I'm all for it. But, there is a ton of data out there and everyone just assumes the answer is "nothing", as in "there is nothing we can do about this".

Btw, remember that big push to get rid of Bump Stocks after 57 people were murdered, 422 were shot and a total of 851 people were hurt in total by a lunatic in Las Vegas? Well, if you remember it, you can be sure no one in Congress does because they are still being sold legally.

But, nothing could possible have prevented any of these tragedies.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am

You're making my point.

(1) If Congress can't agree on how to fix this, it can't be fixed.
(2) Congress can't agree on how to fix this.
(3) Ergo ...
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am

Congress not being able to agree on how to fix this is due to a different problem. The NRA basically owns far too many politicians. And, so do other lobby groups. That has to change before anything else ever will for the average Joe and Jane out there.

And I didn't mean to imply that the president, this or any competent one, could change gun issues. I was simply pointing out the manner in which the press secretary manages to avoid, deflect and/or pivot when asked a fair question. She isn't as entertaining as the spice boy, but she sure has a knack for the gig.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:15 pm

That has to change before anything else ever will for the average Joe and Jane out there.

It's not going to change.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Step back from the extreme situation of mass shootings and look at the Pet Peeve thread.

My guess is when those situations arise our first impulse would be to take a stronger reaction than just venting on nf.com. You might want to cuss someone out, take their phone and throw it on the ground, vandalize the car of the idiot taking a handicapped spot or even give the person a light smack upside the head.

But we don't - we control our impulse and recognize that our impulse would either be disproportional to the offense, escalate a minor per peeve into a more significant issue, we don't have recognized society given authority to tell others what do ....... we act like rational, reasonable, civilized adults who realize not everyone will do what we think they should.

Unfortunately we have a growing number of people who have a complete inability to cope when they don't get their way all the time or see any request from someone to act in a reasonable manner as a diss or challenge and they react completely inappropriately and disproportionately. Why are so many people having such extreme reactions to what should be minor conflicts.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall