Politics

sameoldlama

Re: Politics

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:45 pm

I might argue they are not defending Rob Porter - they are defending the mistake of not having properly vetted Rob Porter. They are defending themselves. If you concede he was guilty of all the things he was accused of and it becomes apparent that it was easily discoverable then you must concede you screwed the pooch.
And nobody at this level is really big on admitting why the pooch is sitting in the corner of the room with his butt against the corner looking hurt and sad.

They never quite grasp sometimes just admitting "we effed up" is the best damage control - especially if you offer up "this is what we will do to prevent effing up in the future".
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I think it may be a case of firing before aiming. A defensive perimeter was put in place before assessing the position is undefendable. Unwise.

I think it was Shore who mentioned a lack of govt. experience which is accurate. There is good and bad in that as there is good and bad in being an entrenched Pol. who knows all the ropes and back room deal protocol. While we have had a steady stream of entrenched Pol's. now we have a new, inexperienced Prez. in govt. workings. He will likely become more adept in time but maybe not as well. Pride goeth before the fall....... ;)

I like having more cash at the end of the paycheck last payday......Since I fulfilled the entire out of pocket on my now twice as expensive medical plan, the one with less coverage thanks to the current Prez's predecessor, I need the extra cash.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm

I might argue they are not defending Rob Porter - they are defending the mistake of not having properly vetted Rob Porter. They are defending themselves

That is absolutely what they are doing now. No doubt. But, prior to it hitting the fan they were doing everything they can to protect Porter. And, while improper vetting is part of the problem, even after they were told they doubled down on this guy and kept him in the job AND promoted him.

But, yes, now it's about defending them. Porter is gone. The stink, however, is lingering.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:46 pm

I believe we are seeing a combination of things. For sure, they are circling the wagons and defending the administration and president above everything else. POTUS finally came out and said he was opposed to domestic violence, and everybody knows this. But they still have a disfunctional staff, to be polite. This is, as mentioned previously, a result of having no real public service experience. But this was what he said he was going to do, and why I wouldn’t vote for him. Experience matters in my mind. I can almost hear him thinking that this governing stuff is hard, kind of like Will Ferrell playing W, only it’s real rather than satire.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm

POTUS finally came out and said he was opposed to domestic violence,

I'm sure nobody is more against it than he is.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 pm

At least CNN is reporting that former Trump campaign adviser has reached a plea deal with Mueller.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 am

There is an article in The New Yorker about Trump's affair a few years ago (at the same time he was supposedly schtupping Stormy Daniels) with a former Playboy model named Karen McDougal. The gist of the story is about how Trump is able to have affairs and use friends and lawyers to keep them secret. In this instance, the company that owns the National Enquirer (run by a friend of Trump's) paid McDougal money for the exclusive rights to her story and then canned the whole thing so it never saw the light of day. Apparently this is a common practice for the Enquirer and they do this on behalf of a lot of people. The article mentions Ahnold Schwarzenegger and Tiger Woods as two other people they have done this for (I assume they do it for reasons other than altruism).

I could care less where Trump sticks Little Donnie. Unless someone is claiming rape or assault (and there are several women who are, but let's put that to one side for now), it is between him and his wife. But, these accusations keep pilling up. During the election when he was going on about abortion I turned to my wife and said "what do you think the over/under is on how many abortions he's paid for over the years?". We put it at 3. And we both thought we would take the over. I am waiting for someone to come forward and say he got her pregnant and paid for an abortion. I'm shocked it hasn't happened already.

Anyway, here is why I bring it up - how much longer is the religious crowd going to back him? How many "mulligans" is he going to get with him? Certainly he's not the first President or rich man who couldn't keep it in his pants and had cheated on his wife. He's not even the first President accused of sexual assault. If you're not familiar with Juanita Broderick's allegations against Bill Clinton, I'd encourage you to go read up on them. Per her, back when he was first running for governor in the late 70s, Clinton raped her in a hotel room. And, also per her, a few years later Hillary basically threatened her over any potential allegation she may make. There is nothing about her account that seems unbelievable to me. So, Trump certainly isn't the first man in the White House who has these kind of accusations. But, the Christian community didn't forgive Bill Clinton. They didn't give him a pass.

Curious to see what impact all this has on Trump. I can't believe he can just keep shaking this stuff off.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:47 am

I can't imagine they thought they were voting for St. Francis of Assisi. I suspect most of them were holding their nose at the ballot like most people. But who knows. I don't live in the bible belt.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am

First, it isn’t like Trump just appeared as the GOP nominee and the so called evangelical block was forced to choose the lesser of two evils. Many have embraced him since he defended the golden escalator to throw his hat in the ring.

Also, as a result, I believe the GOP has thrown much of what they have held dear, like Christian family values and fiscal responsibility square into the dumpster. They hold all three branches and still cannot accomplish much without controversy or party infighting. I think that’s because some still want to have that moral high ground but see it slipping away.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 am

I don't think it matters much. I think the Republicans can probably take the religious right for granted just as the Democrats do with African Americans. Because neither of those constituencies is likely to switch sides.

The only thing I'm certain of is that neither party is worth a bucket of warm spit.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)