Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Other than for the enjoyment of pissing everyone who hates him I can't see DT running again.

It seems unlikely but he is raising money and even hired a new campaign manager. Who knows. Predicting the future is hard. I'm inclined to think he wont' run again either, but I also thought he had no shot the first time.

On, and speaking of predicting the future, you may all enjoy this: Democrats may have already won the House. I think this guy assumes a whole lot. We'll see.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm

I didn't think he'd win nomination either - if I had to guess I think one major factor was the Rs had 17 candidates at the start. The other 16 were basically different brands of the same old vanilla. DT was the polar opposite of all of them. So consider if half the primary voters hated Trump and half liked the "angry outsider" message. DT splits the angry outsider message with know one and glides through early primaries and gains momentum. The other guys are splitting the remaining vote and not registering enough to stay relevant.

If the Rs had started with 3-4 candidates I don't think DT would have made it out of the early stages of primary.

I'd say that plus DT didn't have lifetime political record of failed economic, healthcare, immigration, yada, yada, yada to answer to.

If anyone who ahs been a leading Congressperson for decades and campaigns telling you they have the answers to those issues you have to say - you've been a leading voice for 30 years so either you are part of the problem or if you have the answers you lack the leadership ability to get them enacted. Either way you ain't the guy.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Admittedly I'm a fairly simple minded guy but I think the "why" of Trump being elected President is pretty easy. People were/are fed up about a ton of different things (some rational, many not so much) and he was different. They knew what they had in Hillary (more of the same shit) and they knew what they had in every other Republican candidate (same old shit). Trump was not. At least not outwardly. So they figured what the hell, maybe somebody completely different can do something. I don't think most folks banked on him being so ridiculous and petty and narcissistic but that's where we are right now. My hope is/was that the D's and the R's learned from the last election and come up with some better candidates next time. But sadly, I don't see that happening, they're just doubling down on the same old same old.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:30 pm

I agree with that assessment.

And after he was elected, I thought he might "moderate" his behavior, but I guess he decided that he would go with what got him there, I think his mistake was not realizing that Hillary was a large part of what got him there. He was elected despite his personality, not because of it.

This will not change the parties one bit, other than to take further steps to ensure that an "outsider" will not get elected again.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Agee w/ Shore that is why DT beat Hillary. He pounded the "Forgotten Man" theme and career politicians - and their lifetime of broken promises didn't have a counter.
I'm not saying DT is champion of the little man or had a plan to address their concerns but he adeptly utilized that theme in his campaign.

I understand why people dislike DT but I don't think it's accurate to call him stupid - if you do then tell me what American political royalty like the Clintons and Bushes who had a lifetime of campaign experience are - because he cleaned Bush's clock and beat Hillary against all odds.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm

If I ever called him stupid, I wasn't thinking clearly. Certainly, he has said some stupid things, but he isn't stupid. He is a lot of other things, and that combination of arrogant, sexist, ignorant of political reality and possibly corrupt make him, in my mind, unfit for public office at any level.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Who IS fit? The pantloads who currently comprise Congress?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 pm

If DT plans on running again he better plan on being the first POTUS to get divorced while in office - there is zero chance his wife puts up with 4 more years of the circus and collateral damage her and he son are taking because on the hatred for her husband.

And if that goes to divorce court even he won't be able to brush off the revelations that will come out of that.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:16 pm

It's funny you say that. My son sent me a link to a column on cnn.com from someone who is making the argument that the "president for life" comment that Trump made should not be dismissed and should scare people.

The media has completely lost its collective mind.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:31 pm

He's in his early 70s, he's over weight, he apparently has a meltdown every 3rd day, and he eats McDonald's like 5 times a week. "President for life" may not take him all the way through a 2nd term. Let's say he is serious. How long could his "for life" term actually be? I'm honestly not convinced his health will hold up for 7 more years of this.

As for him being stupid, clearly no one who built the type of business he has built is stupid. He's demonstrably not stupid. I do think, however, he lacks curiosity and is woefully uninformed. A lot of the things that come out of his mouth are just flat out wrong. They are untrue. And, some of that seems to be because he just doesn't know. That's a poor quality for someone who's job it is to make policy on behalf of the nation. He seems to grasp big concepts well enough, but the nuances elude him. Take his focus on trade wars. Trade imbalances are not necessarily a bad thing for the US economy. But, the way he talks, it sounds like this is the sole reason we no longer have manufacturing jobs. it's not. I thought during the election that his observation about how the global economy left a lot of Americans behind was very astute. I also thought during the election he wouldn't have any clue what to do about it, and he's proving that out.

It is what it is. Obama was a world class scholar with all kinds of intellectual curiosity and if he had any insights as to how to bring back jobs for less educated people in the US he kept it to himself. So, getting to a point made earlier, I also get why people voted for Trump. With Hilary and the rest of the republicans, you knew they were full of shit. With Trump, you could assume he was, but there was always that chance.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?