Politics

LioninVa

Re: Politics

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Maybe for isn't the correct word. He is definitely unable to effectively preform the duties on a consensus. He is easily consumed with stupid spats like to one with Alex Baldwin last week. I know, it's Alec, so that's one thing I have that he doesn't. I also believe, but don't know for a fact, that he doesn't read. Note, I said doesn't rather than can't it's a choice. I believe that the President needs to be able to read a lot and process it quickly to do well. Otherwise, he is at the whim of those who are allowed to brief him.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:15 pm

I believe that the President needs to be able to read a lot and process it quickly to do well. Otherwise, he is at the whim of those who are allowed to brief him.

I recently saw a Frontline documentary on the NRA. It was made a few years ago, after the Sandy Hook shooting, but I only watched it recently. Anyway, after the shooting, Obama gave a short speech and then directed Biden to "do something". They (Frontline) also made an interesting documentary on the passage of Obamacare several years ago and it was pretty clear Obama did not read the bill before signing it.

That's NOT a knock on Obama. I think the position of POTUS has been reduced to delegating others to "do something" out of necessity. The federal government is just WAY too big and there's just WAY too much going on to think any one person could become expert enough to formulate policies with any level of detail. I would even wager that when the POTUS directs one of his cabinet members to "do something", be it the head of the DOJ or DOE or DOD, the first thing that person does is delegates. They get the top people at their department together and tell them to work out the details and summarize them, because they haven't the time to read and digest an 800-page report.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:19 pm

I don't take the whole "Alex Baldwin" thing at face value, though. Last week was a bad week for him. The revelations about his son-in-law, Hope Hicks quitting, the Russians claiming they had these "smart" nuclear weapons, etc. And then he manages to change the topic of conversation to it being "Alec" and not "Alex". That was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. He may actually be the smartest man who ever held that office.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 pm

I'll give you that, B-dub, as he did change the discussion. My concern on the Putin interviews that he has done nothing regarding Russia. On any level, no less. He took an oath to defend this nation a d the Constitution against all enemies. Evidence that there was an attempt to influence the election, resulting in Congress to overwhelmingly pass sanctions and we get crickets from the oval office. An animated video showing Russian missiles defeating our countermeasures to hit Florida, no subtlety there, and more crickets.

I don't think he is stupid by any measue, but he is not fulfilling his duties either.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

I agree with your last point. He seems so intent on proving that he had nothing to do with the Russians that he wants to buck all the intelligence reports that conclude they did interfere. And now Mueller reached the same conclusion - and he says nothing. It is possible that the Russians interfered and Trump had nothing to do with it. I actually think that is the more likely scenario but he's sure not acting like it is.

It is also possible the intelligence community is completely wrong here, but the President publicly disputing them - and not offering any evidence - looks really bad.

Hey, you don't have to convince me that he sucks. I know he sucks. I just think that there are enough sucky things about him that we don't have to invent any. There is no need to go crazy over a stupid "president for life" comment when he does and says all kinds of thing to really be upset about all the time.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 pm

He took an oath to defend this nation and the Constitution against all enemies.

Are you sure?

I know that when he was sworn in he took an oath to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States" But that business of defending the Constitution "against all enemies, foreign and domestic" is part of the military oath of enlistment. Maybe he had to take that oath, too. I don't know.

I can't get totally worked up about the Russian election interference. I wish it didn't happen. I hope we take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. But I'm totally convinced that if we could interfere with their elections, we'd do it in a heartbeat. We have a long history of interfering in elections.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 pm

On. How exactly do you preserve protect and defend the Constitution while allowing a foreign government uno undermine our elections and threaten our borders?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm not a Constitutional scholar. I don't know if what the Russians did was unconstitutional. The most damaging thing they did was leak the truth.

As for borders, Mexico has been taking a big steaming dump on our borders for decades and we haven't done squat about that.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm

The Russians are not part of our government (as far as we know ;) ) so they can't do something unconstitutional. It was a violation of international law, though. Same as when the US tried to interfere with the French election back in 2012 when Clinton was Secretary of State. And, that was an ally. The US has a long, sordid history of involving ourselves in other people's elections. That doesn't mean we should just roll over and take this but I'm sure most of the world is having a good belly laugh at our outrage over someone trying to influence one of our elections.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:59 pm

I wish the Russians did not interfere in our elections and would have stopped many years ago.

I wish the USA did not interfere in their elections and would have stopped many years ago.

I wish all the countries who/which interfered in other countries elections stopped years ago.

But none of them will, ever. So it is up to us to patrol our elections. To ensure a minimum of interference because there will always be multiple countries out there trying to interfere, because its in their interest to do so.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt