Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Completely agree, Carl.

Anyway, on the positive side, I saw this: At least 50 women running for Congress in Texas primaries, a record number.

Here's the thing - most politicians are every bit the douchebag that Trump is. The difference is the majority of them don't wear that on their sleeves. They know how to act in police company. Trump doesn't do that. He looks for the argument. It's not pretty to watch, but, as big a liar as he is, he's approach is a whole lot more honest than what we saw from Hillary Clinton.

So, here, to me, are the upsides of Trump:

1. ordinary people are running for elected office and trying to get involved. That article I posted is about women in Texas but I've seen other stories like this. Obama inspired the Tea Party, an idea that started out as ordinary Americans trying to get involved but, unfortunately, got corrupted by large money interest like the Koch brothers. And, maybe that will happen here too, but, right now, you've got a lot of just normal people trying to run for office. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

2. People are paying attention. There is a lot of stuff Trump is doing or trying to do that is not massively different than what a President Hillary Clinton would likely do. The main difference is now people are marching in the streets over it. I really hope this level of interest continues when he's gone, but I doubt it. But, people paying attention is, in my estimation, a good thing.

3. The press are actually doing their job. Yes, I know the amount of hysteria they are generating over every little thing is over-the-top ridiculous. But, they are actually putting real news out there and providing people with real relevant information. Sadly, you have to cut through a lot of bullshit to find the relevant stuff but it is out there. I wish they had been half as diligent when Obama was President. And, again, I hope this continues when Trump is gone.

As awful as he is, I'm not sure he's worse than a President Clinton would be. She is shrewd enough that she may have gotten things done. He's really done very little. Most if it can be undone. And, people are paying a whole lot of attention. More than they ever did when Obama was here. I keep thinking that's a good thing. At least, I hope it is.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 pm

All those things are happening because the MSM and half the country were absolutely convinced that their candidate was a mortal lock and they still can't get over her losing. What you're witnessing is a large-scale hissy fit.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong ... but I don't really believe so.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:18 am

It may very well be temporary and end the day Trump leaves office. I think that is highly probable. But, maybe we'll both be happily surprised.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:15 am

I disagree, _dad, I think most (not all) people have accepted the election results and are trying to move forward. Many don't like the results, and I suppose some are still bitter but this is not a large scale hissy fit, it is reaction to a man who is, probably unintentionally, making a laughingstock of the office and the nation as a result. I didn't like it when W won because I thought he really was an idiot, and I questioned many of his decisions. I was happy when Obama won, but I also questioned many of his decisions as well. A few presidents have had some embarrassing moments, but the ego required to aspire to that position brings along these kinds of actions. The degree of that now with Trump has really caused previous events to pale in comparison, in my opinion.

On a more serious note, how is the report that Russia somehow vetoed the choice of Romney as SecState not a big story?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 am

I think most (not all) people have accepted the election results and are trying to move forward.

I believe exactly the opposite. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Which is fine.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 am

sameoldlama wrote:
Nat@PSU wrote:Donald Trump and his diehard supporters are anathema to decency. The sooner we are rid of them, the better. I'm sure you'll call this hyperbole, or liberal frothing at the mouth, or much ado about nothing, but Donald Trump has done and continues to do irreparable damage to this country. He is a cancer who will hopefully be removed during our next election cycle.

Other than for the enjoyment of pissing everyone who hates him I can't see DT running again. And if he does I can't see the Rs not asking Hillary how she rigged the D primary so they can do the same thing and make sure he is not their candidate.

I would like to know how you define a "die hard" Trump supporter and I am curious by what you mean by "be rid of them" - on the surface it doesn't seem this sentiment towards those who have different political leanings than you would rank high on the decency scale.

And under the "irreparable damage to the country" aspect - now you know how many people felt about eight years of Barack Obama and why they were willing to vote for jackass like Trump.

I've come to understand how reasonable people could have viewed the last election as choosing between the lesser of two evils and selecting Donald Trump. I don't agree with the assertion that he is the lesser of two evils, but I'll concede (begrudgingly) that it's possible for rational minds to disagree. When I say diehard Trump supporters I'm talking about those who view every word he says as gospel and the population that would likely fall in the group Trump himself referenced when he said he could shoot someone in the middle of the street and not lose support (I'm paraphrasing.)

Included in that group are virulent racists (some less virulent racists), white nationalists, and a host of other populations for which I possess little empathy. And you can infer whatever you want from my "rid of them" comment, but what I was trying to express was the idea that that Trump, his supporters and his enablers, would no longer be in power or have the dominant political voice. Frankly, I don't care what you think.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 am

You conveniently neglected to mention the sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies and dickheads. They all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 am

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Donald Trump pass-out at 31 Flavors last night

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Blue&White wrote:My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Donald Trump pass-out at 31 Flavors last night

I hope it's serious.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Trump Economic advisor Gary Cohn quit over the tariffs. Stock futures already pointing to a bad morning for psu_dad's blood pressure.