The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:41 pm

It's come most of the way back up. It was down over 550 this morning and right now it's under down under 100. That's a "win" as far as I'm concerned.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Finished down 125.98 on the day. Not great but given where it was at 10 AM not awful. Hopefully this is the end of the bleeding and things stabilize.

Man, I'm sure glad I'm not working from home in my bunny slippers 3 days a week and counting the hours until retirement. That would be, like, seriously stressful.

:twisted:

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:54 pm

I only pretend to stress about it for the sake of amusement. There are worse things than worrying about your retirement savings, such as not having any. I'm also fortunate in that I could probably continue to work part-time for as long as I wanted, if it came to that. Which hopefully it won't.

In the long term, getting screwed out of my SS by Uncle Sam is probably more of a concern to me than my IRA. I'm currently wrestling with how long to put off collecting it.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm

I was only busting on you for the sake of amusement. If I thought you were really stressed/concerned about it I wouldn't do it. I thought the "bunny slippers" comments made that obvious.

As for when to take SS, I'd hold off as long as you can, up to age 67. The longer you wait the more you get each month. If you don't need it, I wouldn't take it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:02 pm

I thought the "bunny slippers" comments made that obvious.

That and the emoji. :D

Some time ago, after a brutal day in the market, my youngest casually asked me how much I lost. When I deflected his question with "quite a bit", he said "You don't seem very upset about it." I explained to him that you can't lose a large amount in the market unless you have a large amount in the market. And if you have a large amount in the market, no one wants to hear you whine about your losses. It's gauche (please use the French pronunciation). So you just shut your croissant hole and move on.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Well, there goes all the gains we saw in 2018. All gone, just like that. I'd feel better if I thought that was bottom but I doubt it is.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:11 am

Ok, every get your Rally Caps on!

This should help get everyone in the right mind.

Gonna buy now
Buying high now

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 am

I'm not sure what people do with their money when they sell off like yesterday. Stuff it in their mattress? Bury it in mason jars? Or are they just trying to create a stampede so they can swoop in the next day to buy back their stocks cheaper and earn a quick 2%?

One advantage of the interest rate hikes is that CDs are starting to look a little more attractive. Not a lot, but a little. I may bite soon. It's not like my bond funds are making me rich.
Klaatu barada nikto

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Blue&White wrote:Ok, every get your Rally Caps on!

This should help get everyone in the right mind.

Gonna buy now
Buying high now

Sorry, didn't help much, though I did open the fridge and beat the shit out of a piece of sirloin.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.