The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Probably. I suspect some of these people will get desperate. Make sure you have your immigration status settled before you put money into escrow, though.

And, speaking of karma: Chinese Tariffs Are Already Hitting Trump Voters

Oh well. Be careful what you wish for.
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Trump voters do t care about facts or reality. They only believe what Trump says, even though his mouth mostly spits out lies.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:21 pm

If you like barbecued ribs, this could be a great summer for you. If you raise the pigs, you may be eating more barbecued beans.

I should be fine, then. I think we all agree that's the most important thing, I don't usually barbecue ribs, though. The Crock Pot recipe is fool-proof and the meat literally falls off the bones.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 am

LioninVa wrote:Trump voters do t care about facts or reality. They only believe what Trump says, even though his mouth mostly spits out lies.

I respectfully disagree. I would also counter that the "everything Trump does is evil and everything Trump says is a lie" crowd could be more rigorous in fact basing their positions.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:08 am

This is an annoying war of semantics (America in general, not specifically here). For example, there is certainly a second divide between "Trump voters" and "Trump supporters" which probably deserve variable levels of vitriol.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 pm

It is your right to disagree, lama. That doesn’t change the fact that Trump has told well over 3000 lies since taking office. It doesn’t change the fact that, in another thread, you are defending a policy made by this administration as if it were a law congress enacted when it was not. The law did exist, but the manner in which it has been implemented changed recently. Now, Trump is considering an executive order to counter one of his policies. He is a political idiot. But, his base treats him like a god. For some reason.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 pm

hbendle wrote:This is an annoying war of semantics (America in general, not specifically here). For example, there is certainly a second divide between "Trump voters" and "Trump supporters" which probably deserve variable levels of vitriol.

I agree. There are die hards who believe every piece of dribble that comes from his mouth, and there are people who voted for him because they thought he was the least bad choice, or because they thought maybe he would be different than a career politician, or because they were disgusted by HIllary Clinton, or because ... whatever the other reasons were. But, I think for a lot of people it comes down to there are two choices on the ballot and they felt he sucked less. I'm willing to throw my vote away on a 3rd party in those situations, but I get not everyone is. My impression is a majority of the voting public votes for the least awful candidate. You always get true-believers for both candidates - whoemever those candidates happen to be - but I think most people hold their nose and pull a lever.

There are people who held their nose and voted for Trum who may be happy with how thigns are going. If you are in a certain tax bracket you may see the tax cuts as a big help, the stock market is booming, and think "sure, this works for me". If you are a farmer in the midwest, however, you may be thinking "my god, what have I done to myself?". Ultimately, elections tends to come down to the old James Carville maxim of "it's the economy, stupid". People vote with their wallets more than anything else. You get some issue voters on things like guns (both pro and anti), abortion (both pro and anti) but I think the vast majority of Americans vote by their feelings of financial security. And, that's why I think Trump won - because no one believed Hillary could deliver any of that. I sure didn't. With Trump, you didn't know. So, people took a chance.

Heading into November, we will see the impacts of the rollbacks on the individual mandates for Obamacare. The early signs are that when new health care rates come out in September they are going to skyrocket. The market had stabilized the past few years but there are forecasts it's going to go through the roof. Trump is going to blame the Democrats for that. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. And, we'll see what impacts the tariffs have between now and November. Some people are going to be hurt right off, but I don't think there is any real way to predict the impacts between now and November. If it's minimal - or we get some kind of bump - the "blue wave" will turn into the "blue trickle". If it goes the other way, it will get really, really ugly for the Republicans.

And then we see what happens in 2020. The die hards will vote for him no matter what. The rest of his voters? I think we need to see what their wallets look like on election day.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:54 am

USSC ruled that states can compe online retailers to collect sales tax on their behalf even if said retailer does not have a physical presecne in that state. I'm not surprised by that and I think it makes sense. Presumably the ruling is clear enough to make clear where the tax is paid (I assume it's where the consumer/orderer is).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 am

"No one ever died from paying too much taxes." -- Anonymous

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Gun industry sees banks as new threat to 2nd Amendment

I have mixed feelings on what the banks are doing here. But, what I'm really enjoying in this is that many of the same people who were champions of "individual freedom" that championed the rights of pharmacists to not fill prescriptions and other business to openly discriminate against gays and lesbians are now outraged at the audacity of an industry exercising their right not to do business with someone based not on sex, race, religion or sexuality but because they don't want to be involved in a given industry. And, I am not aware of any laws that prevent that.

One of the things I've observed is all these tactics are great ideas until the shoe is on the other foot. And then there is a lot of crying.