The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08 am

You may recall during the incident with the kids in the cave, Musk offered to send in a mini-sub to help. One of the divers involved in the eventual rescue was asked about it later and he said it was basically a publicity stunt, that it wasn't even remotely realistic as an option and was just a distraction by a rich guy who wanted in on the action (or words to that effect).

Musk responded by publically calling the call a pedophile. The guy is now suing Musk for defamation. He's probably going to win, too.

Musk comes off as totally unhinged at this point. Smoking pot during an interview about his companies? I mean, WTF?
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:00 am

That guy is suing Musk for peanuts. There's no way Musk is going to bother to fight that in court. That's the least of his problems.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 am

I was focusing more on his riidculous reaction vs. the amount it's going to cost him. I'm sure he can wipe his butt with money equal to what that will cost him. But, it just goes to a pattern of seeming instability with him.

Ultimately, all I care about is that Tesla's come down in price and get more affordable. I really want one but can't justify paying $80k or thereabouts for a car. Especially a car that gets about 200 miles before it needs to be charged for several hours. But, I'd love to have one.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:38 pm

If I were still commuting to work, it would be perfect for me, for a couple of reasons:

(1) My commute was about 40 miles round-trip, so I'd only have to charge up once a week. When my wife and I go somewhere together, we always take her CRV,
(2) My company has free charging stations in the parking lot.

But even so, I also wouldn't lay out that much $$$ for one.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 pm

My commute is under 40 round trip and we also have free charging stations. And, when you look at the cost of the car you also need to consider how much you will save on things like gas, oil changes, etc. It's just a much cheaper vehicle to run.

But, all that said, I'm also not willing to lay out $80k for one. It's just too much money. $50k is a number I can start to think about, maybe. That's a lot more than I am generally willing to spend on a depreciable asset with a ~10 year life span and a lot of incremental costs required, but for a car that greatly reduces those incremental costs I can consider spending something in the $50k areas. Maybe.

They do have a version that is in the mid-30s but they are nearly impossible to find from what I understand.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Historically, products based on new technology have often required some people to grossly over-pay for the product to succeed. A former co-worker of mine used to call such people "pioneers". There are several examples. One was the VHS videocassette introduced in the late '70s. The original players were over $1000. And that was a LOT money in the late '70s. But some people said "Screw it. That's cool." and bought them anyway. And that allowed the makers to recoup their development costs and lower the price. Flat-screen TVs. Same thing. The original ones were obscenely expensive.

But I don't sense a lot of "that's cool" buzz among the masses regarding electric cars. There's a segment of affluent Save-the-Planet types who want to virtue signal by making a purchase. But I'm not sure there are enough to get this going. We'll see, I guess. I'd jump in if it became economically sensible (or reasonably close) but we're not there yet. And we probably won't be as long as gas remains as cheap as it currently is.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm

"You're a dead man, Valentine!!" -- psu_dad once he regains consciousness (which he lost after looking at his portfolio).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:22 pm

I was considering cashing out my current portfolio and putting all my money into pork belly futures.

Mrs psu_dad: The Chicago Mercantile Exchange stopped trading pork belly futures years ago.
Me: Damn.
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Well. That sucked. Amazon dropped over 6% today. I'm a little worried about Jeff Bezos. He's got kids to feed. On the other hand, the bond market has been in the toilet for some time. Perhaps it's going to rebound.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:05 pm

I didn't look all day because I figured no good could come of it. And then, just now, I brokedown and looked at the market.

Blech.