The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:54 pm

The market started to get better and then it, too, jumped into a local quarry. Down over 250 again.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Lost over 500 points so far. Jeez.

In other news: Corporate America gives out a record $1 trillion in stock buybacks

There's a surprise. Totally a shock. I, for one, thought the tax cuts for corporations would result in higher wages and we would all benefit. Huh? Who saw that coming? I mean aside from everyone prior to the bill being past.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Lost over 500 points so far. Jeez.

Down 4.56% for the year. I suspect any chance of breaking even for the year just waved bye-bye.
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:31 am

There was a disturbing article in the WSJ that indicated the price of cakes, cupcakes and cookies is on the rise. There was also a reference in the article to new Oreo cookies that are dipped in white/milk chocolate fudge, which is a whole new level of depravity.

Mrs psu_dad: What do you care? Your son said you can't eat that crap.
Me: I care about other people.
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Someone needs to explain to me why, after keeping interest rates low for 10 years, it became necessary for the Fed to raise them 17,000 times in one year.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:16 pm

What's funny about this was this was extremely predictable. Trump nominated and put in a guy who had been on the record as saying the believe interest rates needed to start coming up and, if given the opportunity, that's exactly what he was going to do. It's not like he sandbagged Trump on this. But, when Trump nominated him what he focused on was not Powell's views on markets, on money policy, on interest rates, etc. No, what Trump focused on was all the nice things Powell had to say about Trump. I'm not making that up. It's documented and I believe I posted a story about it once before, probably in this thread.

And now Trump is freaking out saying that Powell is killing the markets and all this economic growth (which, to be honest, I'm dubious about anyway). Well, what did you think? Maybe - and this is just a guess on my part - hiring people based on the way they suck up to you instead of looking into their views on policy and their qualifiications for the job is not the best way to go.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Dude. Seriously. No one gets a job like that without a lifetime of kissing the right butts. And he didn't make this decision. He's just paid to read it. He's not an economist. He has a BS in Political Science and a JD. Besides, I came here to get away from politics.

How is the coup d'état going?
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:26 pm

There are plenty of butt kissers who have the same policy views that any one politician has, though. He hired someone who does not. But, fair enough on the politics.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day. let's see if we can get below 23,000 tomorrow. I like our chances.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:31 pm

We'll be below 23000 by mid-morning.
Klaatu barada nikto

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:06 pm

Dow-schmow.....I'm not worried. My gargantuan tax refund will more than make up for any losses.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.