The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

psu_dad

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:39 am

The 2019 Harley-Davidson Roadster is out. It’s a street-eating machine with tucked in fast-back style and 1200cc of corner-cranking torque.

Mrs psu_dad: How do you know?
Me: It says so in the brochure.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:22 am

Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:52 am

The market was obviously shaky, so for reasons I don't totally understand the Fed decided to euthanize it. 22000, here we come.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:55 am

Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 am

They should have Jerome Powell ring the opening bell tomorrow morning. :lol:
Fire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:51 pm

I kind of think this tumbling stock thing is my fault. I have the standard 401k type stuff since I started working after leaving the Navy, but my in-laws gifted is some money earlier this year and I put some into stocks that I can see. It went up a couple of percent in the first few weeks but is back to about what I started with. Sorry guys!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I dont' mean to cross the stream on threads again but want to get this point out of the NFL thread.

Anyway, in the NFL thread I made a point bout the Kaepernick situation and my view of people's priorities. So, Nike announced their earnings today. Remember when Trump said he didn't know what they were thinking and they wold get crushed for hiring Kapernick? Guess not. I'm not making a political point here and only bring up Trump to make the point that a lot of people in the press said "what the f*ck" over this and echoed his commenets. But, Nike clearly did their research on what the impact likely would be. In post market trading their stock is soaring. No idea what will happen to them in the morning as their could be a sell off as people take their profits.

But, ignore the day to day fickleness of the markets and focus on this point: a company that is known for abusive labor practices around the world has had an economic boom by using someone who has made a stand for social injustice - and become a pariah doing so - in their advertising. The people who are inclined to buy Nike because of the Kaepernick adds are likely to be unsupportive of their labor practices. And, all that went by the way side.

Priorities. People need them.
Baseball season!!!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:21 pm

[quote="LioninVa"]I kind of think this tumbling stock thing is my fault. I have the standard 401k type stuff since I started working after leaving the Navy, but my in-laws gifted is some money earlier this year and I put some into stocks that I can see. It went up a couple of percent in the first few weeks but is back to about what I started with. Sorry guys![/quote

Sorry, Lion, you don't get to own the crash. To own it, you must buy stocks after doing weeks of due diligence, then watch it drip, drip, drip away until it becomes a penny stock. That's the way I roll. Never fails to fail. That's why I'm deeply invested in index funds.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am

Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:21 am

I vote we close the exchange at 10:30 and call it a day.
Fire Alex Cora