The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:48 am

Speaking of things to be thankful for, I am thankful the market is closing in 13 minutes. That may be the only thing that prevents it from hitting below 22,000.

Not happy with what is going on but it's temporary. And, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching Trump freak out about it and start throwing blame around.
Is it baseball season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:57 am

PSUgrower wrote:Can you guys let me know when I should invest in Dow Jones stocks? I want to wait until it bottoms out

Okay, G, since it's the season of giving, I won't charge you for this advice. Normally, I'm compensated 8 zillion semolians for this advice, but you're a nice guy (except when you advocate brain damage for guys who crowd the batter's box) so here goes: buy low, sell high.......got that?....it works for me every, flipping time. I'm making so much moolah in the stock market, my battery of accountants can't keep up. It's been working so well, I'm thinking about starting an investment newsletter titled "Take My Advice, Please!!!" I'll be authoring all the articles, but I'm gonna need to change my name to something like B. Stanford Buffonberry, III....you know, to sound like some fifth generation family lotto winner who, at birth, got a free pass to the money river while the rest of the schlubs actually work for a living. I'll even let you in on the ground floor. Charter members get in for 1,000 semolians per year, full payments due every month on the first and last day of the month. I urge you to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity while you can. Memberships are going fast. Lemmee know.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I was mistaken about the time the market closes. It's 2, not 12. And, that left plenty of time for it to drop below 22,000.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Well, today certainly went better. Biggest single day gain in history.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:11 pm

2019 off to a bang.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:46 pm

In the green.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm thinking of supplementing my retirement income by buying one of those hot dog carts. Seems like a sweet gig. You get fresh air and exercise and you get to eat hot dogs.

Mrs psu_dad: You can't make money if you eat the hot dogs.
Me: Never mind then.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:42 pm

I dated a girl in college who's father did exactly that - he bougth a hotdog cart and was planning to go sell hotdogs at the beach. And, he was planning on doing this without a license or a health inspection. In his mind once he had a hot dog cart he did all he had to do. In fact, I distinctly remember him telling me "I didn't serve 3 tours in 'Nam so I had to deal with some bullshit inspection to sell hotdogs" (he was a retired Marine who did, in fact, serve 3 tours).

Anyway, it didn't work out so well for him. He spent about 30 minutes selling hotdogs before he got cited for not having a proper business license and a proper health certificate. Then he had to spend time getting the license. Then he found out that the cart he bought couldn't pass the health inpsection for reasons I don't exactly recall (this all happened in 1991 or thereabouts and I've killed off some of the brain cells that held those memories).

Anyway, the point of my story is not only should you not eat the hot dogs but you should also first make sure you a) get the proper license and b) make sure your cart can pass a health inpsection prior to purchasing it. And, if it can't pass, make sure whatever it needs isn't too much money (I seem to recall whatever the issue was it was going to cost a lot to get the cart up to speed).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:14 pm

I saw a documentary years ago about five guys who grew up together in Brooklyn in the 60s/70s (The Boys of 2nd Street Park). As I recall, the director was a mutual friend who wanted to catch up with them and see how their lives turned out.

One of the guys decided early on that he wanted to work in the public sector and specifically chose the health department because he had been told that you could make a ton of $$$ on the side via bribes. :lol:
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 am

Jeez, what a blood bath.

I need a new hobby. This one is killing me.