The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 30, 2019 8:06 pm

Trump hitting Mexico with 5% tariff in response to migrants

So, there goes the market tomorrow. Super.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 pm

They're getting off cheap.

A recent MIT-Yale study found the annual cost of illegal immigration to the American taxpayers to be $135 billion, covering education, health care, law enforcement and welfare. That's MIT and Yale. Not Fox News. The taxes paid by illegal immigrants? $19 billion. Massachusetts, which is particularly generous in this regard, has a much worse cost-to-benefit ratio.

Am I happy about about potential market disruption? No. Has Congress or any of the previous presidents done anything to fix this mess? No.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 30, 2019 9:04 pm

So, I just googled for that study. All I can find is references to the numbers of illegal immigrants (which was a bit eye popping as they estimated it's more than double the traditional $11M estimate). I didn't see anything on cost.

Got a link you can share?

Edit: never mind. Found it.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Ok,so that link I posted is really just a letter to the editor. It's not really a source. So, I kept looking and found, I think, the study.

Maybe this isn't the right study, but I can't find anything in here on the costs or the tax contribution. So, is there another study and I'm looking at the wrong one? I've tried googling it a few different ways and can't find any source that supports those numbers.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 30, 2019 11:08 pm

As near as I can tell, the cost numbers actually come from the study below.
Psu_Dad Publishing Inc. regrets the error.

Mrs psu_dad: Are we going to get sued?
Me: No problemo. I have Jackie Chiles on retainer.

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publicatio ... -taxpayers
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 31, 2019 5:31 am

Thanks. I was interested in seeing the details.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri May 31, 2019 7:08 am

I expect a full report by close of business. I don't work on Friday.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 31, 2019 11:32 am

I skimmed it. I think some of the numbers are suspect based on how they describe they were generated. But, generally, I think their basic premise is valid. I don't know if the real cost is $135B but, based on their analysis, I think their conclusion that the cost of illegal immigrants to tax payers is greater than what they pay in to the system.

If Trump was smart, he'd make the point more on the cost impacts. And, when I say "make the point" I mean not in a ranting tweet where he throws out a bunch of numbers that no one can validate or even has any idea where they came from (something he did not that long ago). There is a valid argument for his position. He's just intent on not making the argument in any coherent way. There are people who aren't going to listen anyway, but I think there are people who will. The guy is often just his own worst enemy.

Anyway, meanwhile, the Dow is crashing again. below 25,000 as I'm writing this.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri May 31, 2019 4:34 pm

Well. That sucked. But it did fall short of a Total Bloodbath. So there's that.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:50 pm

So, here is something interesting - one of the execs here just called me and offered me a promotion to come work for him and take over his product team. I said "but I don't really know the technology". He said, basically, that I've known enough to successfully negotiate a number of deals on his behalf, the current exec lead is going to retire in 12 - 18 months, and what he is proposing is that I come work for her for that period of time, and when she leaves I take over the role. He's offering money to come over now and then more once she leaves and I'm officially promoted.

It's outside my comfort zone but it's an opportunity to learn something new, it's a prmotion and it's more money. It came comletely out of the blue, too, but it was certainly a nice surpirse. Anyway, I'm thinking about it.

And, hopefully it will help my own financial space.
Baseball season!!!!