The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 am

Ok.

So what? I'm not sure why that matters, per se, and I'm not sure what is inherently unfair about it (assuming they are following the rules - which we know in some instances they are not). Everything I read is that trade imbalances are not necessarily a problem as long as both sides are getting value.

It's a bitch for manufacturing but the idea that manufacturing will just move to the US becuase imports from China became too expensive isn't a reasonable expected outcome of this. What is more likely is that manufacturing will simply move to another lower cost economy that is not the United States. This isn't going to bring back all the factories and associated jobs we lost. It's just going to change the name of the country on the "made in" label on the packaging.
Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 am

Btw, dow is approaching -600 on the day.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 am

As I said, if you want to go back to the old ream-job, it's no skin off my tookis.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:49 pm

The options aren't this or nothing, though.

The problem is that, no matter their intentions, the Democrats are going to signal to China that this gets fixed if they win the White House. Because they are going to want China to target the areas that helped Trump win and impact them economically. So, China is going to have an incentive to help defeat Trump. Even if the Democratic successor is just as bad, it's a chance they logically have to take. So, you can assume that this is not going to get resolved until January 2021 at the earliest. I suppose it's possible that someone will blink first but I don't think Trump can afford to and I think China is probably now thinking they have to hold out until 2021.

Btw, Dow fell over 700 points as I'm writing this. Ooof.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:55 pm

BTW, I formally applied for Medicare today, in advance of actually needing it. To reduce overhead and paperwork, I was asked to submit the name of a person to whom my medical bills should be sent. I gave them your name, but I need an address. So if you could sent that along, that would be great. TYVM.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Tell them to send all bills to the Seattle plant of Boing in the name of AppoOnu. I'm sure they will all be taken care of immediately.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:59 pm

well, slight comeback at the end of the day. We're now only down 730 with minutes to go. An hour ago it was down close to 900.

The real question is what happens tomorrow and the day after. Is this a one day slide due to panic? Is it part of a new trend that goes on for a while? Tune in tomorrow for the latest episode of How the Market Turns.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:02 pm

The real question is what happens tomorrow and the day after.

I know the real question. What's the answer?
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Stay tuned.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:00 pm

You should work for the WSJ. And then after we all know what happens, you could write a column about how it was obvious that it was going to happen. That's their specialty.
Fire Alex Cora