The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Blue&White

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

That works for me, too. Start throwing some of these assholes in jail and I guarantee you see a change in behavior.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 am

The poster child for said corrective action

https://nypost.com/2018/05/16/feds-want ... et-pay-up/

And this is also the glaring example that our justice system does have a color bias - and it's green. This guy should have done much more than 4 years and he should have a court appointed accountant standing right next to him every time he gets a check and garnishing those wages to pay his victims.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

Years ago, after accidentally missing a CC payment, I received a threatening letter indicating the CC could file a court order to garnish my wages. After ONE friggin missed payment. How the hell did this guy avoid having his income garnished? Was it because he was essentially an "independent contractor" with no employer?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Probably. If he's his own employer, who do you send the order to garnish the wages to? What I don't get is why are they not seizing his bank accounts? Put another way - why are they asking? If he has money in accounts, seize it. If he is hiding it offshore, work with the authorities in those countries to seize it and arrest him for tax evasion.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 17, 2018 1:30 pm

“I played tennis three hours a day, and I’d write for maybe 12.” -- Jordan Belfort's description of the 22 months he spent incarcerated (*).

Not exactly Federal PMITA prison, apparently.

---------------------------------
* - Less than half of his 4-year sentence.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm

To Lamas point, 4 years in a country club prison was an affront. We are sending black kids to maximum security prisons for selling weed but this scumbag gets to play tennis and keep his millionaire lifestyle? How does that work?

White collar criminals are held to a vastly different standard.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm

It ain't skin color - it's cash and connections.

Al Sharpton committed tax fraud that would landed all our lilly white behinds in prison. But he has wealth and connections.

PA folks probably know the story of DeWitt and Veon - two elected public servants who embezzled money and were convicted who had the restitution judgments voided because a judge deemed an entity "State of PA" didn't qualify as a "person" - so no restitution was necessary. These men now merrily get to keep what they stole and collect their generous pension.

Now in the Law of Unintended Consequences the judge who had no concept of justice (vs letting fellow connected politicians off the hook) opened the door for people / contractors who had restitution judgments for embezzling from churches, youth sports groups, municipalities, businesses an out from paying restitution.

Belfourt was accused to fraud amounting to $200MM - I'd consider doing 4 years in a min security fed prison for that kind of scratch.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm

It ain't skin color - it's cash and connections.

I think it's both. Being rich and black gets you different treatment than being poor and black but being black without cash and connections gets you a lot more headaches with the police and the courts. Matt Taibbi wrote a book on who goes to jail in this country called The Divide that explores the topic in detail. It's worth a read. But, there is no doubt that people with money and connections are playing by a different set of rules than the rest of us.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 pm

One-third of American households have struggled to afford either food, shelter or medical care

This is pretty grim, but not a big surprise given some of the other indicators I've seen.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 pm

That guy in the photo doesn't look like he's missed many meals.

Mrs psu_dad: Was that necessary?
Me: Probably not.