The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

psu_dad

Re: The Ongoing New Financial Era Thread

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 am

Well, you and Nat are going to pay for it. I'm going to retire to a villa on the coast of Portugal and drink vinho do Porto all day.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 am

Leave the light on for me. I'm coming. I assume you'll put the key under a piece of black, volcanic glass that is situated at the base of a wall up in a hayfield in Buxton, Maine.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:04 am

That massive oak tree is history, BTW. A lightening strike ravaged it and a subsequent storm finished it off. I wonder how many people have traveled to Buxton over the years to look for it, only to discover that the scene was actually filmed in Ohio.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 am

If Portugal is the plan I suggest you guys start working on Portuguese citizenship / passport and ex-patriating some funds now. Any structured retirement money (pensions, SSI, 401(k)) will still be seeing exit taxes and Bernie & company still get aroused when they look at your balances and wonder about all the wonderful things they can do for you if only they could get control of your money.

And if some guy named Seidlebaum tells you he can launder your money cheaper than your banker - don't believe him.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:32 pm

The Portuguese aren't pushovers like we are. You have to live in Portugal for six years before you can even apply for citizenship and you have to pass a test indicating you have sufficient knowledge of the language.

Está frio lá fora.

Mrs psu_dad: What does that mean?
Me: It's cold outside.
Mrs psu_dad: But it's hot outside.
Me: I don't know how to say that.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:17 pm

psu_dad wrote:The Portuguese aren't pushovers like we are. You have to live in Portugal for six years before you can even apply for citizenship and you have to pass a test indicating you have sufficient knowledge of the language.

Está frio lá fora.

Mrs psu_dad: What does that mean?
Me: It's cold outside.
Mrs psu_dad: But it's hot outside.
Me: I don't know how to say that.

Yeah our dipshit President wouldn't even pass our citizenship test. He doesnt even know the words to "God Bless America".

Portugal has much more stringent citizenship requirements and I'd assume they hold their leadership to a higher standard as well.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:47 pm

The Portuguese aren't pushovers like we are. You have to live in Portugal for six years before you can even apply for citizenship and you have to pass a test indicating you have sufficient knowledge of the language.

I'm pretty sure you have to wait 6 or so years here, too. It may be 7. I'm not sure if there is a langauge test but there is a civics and history test. And, to Nat's point, I doubt most Americans could pass the citizenship test.

Anyway,

Hedge-fund boss who predicted ‘87 crash says next recession will be ‘really frightening’. So, there's something to look forward to.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:12 pm

You're probably right about Americans passing the civics test if people took it cold, but people applying for citizenship don't take it cold. There''s a list of 100 questions you get ahead of time, you're asked 10 questions from the list and you only have to get 6 right. Once you've passed, there's a US citizenship oath ceremony (or at least they're used to be). That part is open to the public and friends can attend. If you're ever invited to attend one, you should definitely go.

PS - The politicians in Portugal suck just as ours do. That's universal.
PPS - You're a dead man, Valentine!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Funny story about Portugal. I have a number of British friends who have parents who either retired to Portugal or bought houses there and spend half the year in Portugal (a few are in some part of Spain). Anyway, all of my friends whose parents did this all have this great story and it goes like this:

My parents voted in favor of Brexit because they wanted to show the government what they thought of them, and they are now bitterly angry because both Spain and Portugal are telling these people they are not citizens, the day after Brexit goes into effect they are subject to EU immigration laws and they can get at the back of the line - and until they are granted a visa they either get the fuck out or risk incarceration. And, all of these parents are outraged that their voting decisions are impacting them personally.

Karma - she's not just a bitch, she's a world class comedian.

Oh, my one friend specifically warned his parents this would happen and his father kept insisting Portugal would never dare throw out UK citizens who owned land in Portugal. Oops! My friend thinks the whole thing is hilarious. I completely agree.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Any chance I could score a bargain on a coastal villa? I'd be willing to go 50 cents on the dollar. And I'll spring for their moving expense.

Uma cerveja grande, por favor.