Beer and Booze

Blue&White

Beer and Booze

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:46 pm

I could have sworn we kicked this topic off here already but I don't see it. Anyway, thought we could use a less serious off season topic. And, nothing is less serious than beer and booze.

First, the beer. I've been on a pilsner kick lately. The guy at my local beer store recommended the Lagunitas Pils and I too recommend it. I've really been enjoying it.

I'm also due to replenish some whiskey. I'm going to pick up a bottle of my standard Elijah Craig tomorrow (my favorite bourbon and one I highly recommend). I'm also going to pick up a decent bottle of scotch.

Hey JG - anything you would recommend now that you've developed your new affiliation for scotch? I may just go with The Glenlivit 15 but open to suggestions.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Re: Beer and Booze

Postby Crowbar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Lane Johnson and the SUPER BOWL Champion Philadelphia Eagles still have me on a Bud Light kick. :mrgreen: 8-)
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 pm

This is the "beer and booze" thread. The watered-down water thread is elsewhere.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm

First, the beer. I've been on a pilsner kick lately.

My son bought me some Weihenstephaner Pils for Christmas. Very nice.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 pm

I am really liking the pils lately. lower alcohol content but very smooth. I can't stand bud and things like that, but if you can find a good pilsner they are great.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Blue&White wrote:I could have sworn we kicked this topic off here already but I don't see it. Anyway, thought we could use a less serious off season topic. And, nothing is less serious than beer and booze.

First, the beer. I've been on a pilsner kick lately. The guy at my local beer store recommended the Lagunitas Pils and I too recommend it. I've really been enjoying it.

I'm also due to replenish some whiskey. I'm going to pick up a bottle of my standard Elijah Craig tomorrow (my favorite bourbon and one I highly recommend). I'm also going to pick up a decent bottle of scotch.

Hey JG - anything you would recommend now that you've developed your new affiliation for scotch? I may just go with The Glenlivit 15 but open to suggestions.

I'll take shot if you don't mind. Balvenie doublewood 12 yr, The Macallan 12 yr Highlands or Glennfiddich 15 yr Solera vat.....all around price range of Glenlivit and more.enjoyable.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 pm

I am really liking the pils lately.

I've always been fond of pilsners. I think they may have acquired a bad rep from beer snobs over the decades because of the mediocre mass-brewed American varieties, but a well-crafted pilsner is a very enjoyable beer. Sam Adams has made a few pretty good pilsners over the years, but they always seem to be "limited release" beers.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am

The Lagunitis is very good, I agree. My wife, one the infrequent occasion that she wants beer over wine, likes ipa’s. I don’t know if it is available up there, but the Sweetwater ipa, I think it’s called 420, is quite good. I like an occasional stout but usually go with Yuengling. In the summer, I will go with some form of beer flavored water if I am outside, but I haven’t found one that I would recommend.

As for whiskey, I am a fan of Jameson but the Bushmill’s Black Label is one I wouldn’t turn down.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Mad

I went with a Highland Park 15. It was on sale for $85. And it apparently won some kind of award recently. Doing a finger right now with a splash of water (I usually prefer ice but for the first drink I want to taste only the whisky). It's really nice. I prefer it to the McCallan 15 I recently finished. And it's significantly cheaper. The McCallan is just too oaky for me.

I also picked up a bottle of my staple bourbon, Elijah Craig.

Lion - I never got into the Irish whiskeys. Too each their own but I don't care for them as much. I prefer the scotch and American bourbon (although keep me away from that crap Tennessee Jack Daniels swill. Good ole' Kentucky bourbon for me).

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Blue&White wrote:Mad

I went with a Highland Park 15. It was on sale for $85. And it apparently won some kind of award recently. Doing a finger right now with a splash of water (I usually prefer ice but for the first drink I want to taste only the whisky). It's really nice. I prefer it to the McCallan 15 I recently finished. And it's significantly cheaper. The McCallan is just too oaky for me.

I also picked up a bottle of my staple bourbon, Elijah Craig.

Lion - I never got into the Irish whiskeys. Too each their own but I don't care for them as much. I prefer the scotch and American bourbon (although keep me away from that crap Tennessee Jack Daniels swill. Good ole' Kentucky bourbon for me).

I suppose I'm happy with the McCallan 12 year because I can't justify spending more than $60 per bottle. I'd always told myself there probably isn't much difference between the 12 yr and the 18 yr besides the doubling of price. So, one night I was having dinner with a client who ordered a glass of 18 yr ($24/glass). Since I was expensing dinner, I thought "what the hell" and told the waiter to make it two. There is a difference and it ain't the price. Wowser!
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.