Beer and Booze

Blue&White

Re: Beer and Booze

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm

To my palate, there is a noticeable difference between the 12 and 15 for most brands. It's the jump from 15 to 18 that I don't find to be worth the money.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Was running errands earlier and stopped by the Beer Store and found another great pils. Pilsner Urquell from Czech. It is really good. This has the potential to be my new go-to beer. The guy in the store told me they do a lager, too. I'll try that next time.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:24 am

Went to Maggiano's in Kingbof Prussia with my wife last night. And I thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of Bud Light. :mrgreen:
41-33.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 am

Crowbar wrote:Went to Maggiano's in Kingbof Prussia with my wife last night. And I thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of Bud Light. :mrgreen:

And I binge-watched the Hallmark channel all weekend with Mrs. Mad. It was delightful. :roll:
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 am

Budweiser has been losing market share steadily for years, but they still sell a shit-ton of beer.

I saw an article recently that indicated the 3 most popular beers in the U.S. (in volume sold) are Bud Lite, Coors Lite and Miller Lite. I hadn't realized the lite beer market was THAT strong. I'm not a volume drinker. Two beers in one weekend would be a "binge" for me. So I prefer not to sacrifice taste for reduced calories. But apparently a lot of people feel otherwise. Budweiser now sells about three times as much Bud Lite as their regular Budweiser brand.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm

picked up a 12 pack of Stone IPA, Pilsner Urquell is very good if you're looking for a local try either Victory Prima Pils or Sly Fox Pikeland Pils both very good. This area has so many good brewers I like to drink local as much as possible; Victory, Sly Fox, Yards, Dog Fish Head, Dock Street, Conshohocken, 2SP, Tired Hands, Levante, Stoudts, Weyerbacher, Troegs, Cape May, Stable 12, Stickman many others. I mostly drink IPA's but a good Pils is hard to beat.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Pilsner Urquell is very good

I'm curious what that cost in PA. I saw it in a local liquor store (green bottle, right?). It wasn't super-expensive, but it was a tad pricey to try without a recommendation.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:22 pm

I paid about $11.50 or so for a 6. That is actually on the low side for craft or specialty beers around here. Some run as high as $20 for a 6. As a rule, I refuse to pay more than $15 for a 6 pack of beer, and even that is a bit out of the norm for me.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:36 pm

It was actually slightly less than that here. I'll give it a shot.

The only beer I drink that cost stupid money is Chimay. But I can usually count on getting some for Christmas. This year I got a beer "assortment" from my son that included the Weihenstephaner I mentioned earlier and some Chimay Blue. It also included a couple of pints of Boddingtons Pub Ale, which I haven't gotten to yet.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Boddington's is an attempt to put real English ale into a carry away format. They do a reasonable job. It is similar to a can of Guiness in that it has some extra carbonation added and a "block" of some sort in the can to create an "authentic" pub pour. So, if you don't drink it from a glass, it's probably not going to mix right and you lose some of the experience. It's decent stuff. Not my favorite, but I certainly wouldn't say "no" if offered. I spent enough time in the UK, though, that I love the real stuff. I haven't been to England in 6 years, but I used to love to go to the pub for a pint of real English bitter. I miss that. One of the perks of working for the Brits for 10 years.

Delco - the beer store by may had some Cape May beers that I picked up towards the end of the summer. I really enjoyed them. That's a good brewery. There are some local brewery's near me that I've been trying to frequent. I just never have the time to really get over to pick anything up. I'll have to make some time, though.