2017 NFL Football Season

PSUgrower

2017 NFL Football Season

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm

I had to start this thread- Eagles are going to the Superbowl!!

Blue&White

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Are they buying their tickets off StubHub or Seat Geek?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Some people share your optimism, apparently. They opened at 60-1 odds to win SB LII and now they're down to 40-1. The J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets opened at 100-1 and now they're at 500-1. (No,that's not a typo.)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 am

The site I'm looking at has the Pats at 11/4. The Giants are 14/1. The Eagles are 40/1. How are the Cowboy 8/1 odds to win the Super Bowl? I may lay a bet just against the Cowboys.

Anyway, here is some other news that will put a smile on dad's face and a song in dad's heart: Roger Goodell is reportedly close to signing a 5 year extension as commissioner of the NFL. I know dad was afraid he would be gone soon but, lucky dad, his tenure will continue.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am

How are the Cowboy 8/1 odds to win the Super Bowl?

i doubt that's the so-called "smart money" in action. They have a large fan base who apparently likes to wager.

As for Commissioner Poop-for-Brains, Barstool Sports has ordered 70,000 of these towels to hand out at the opening game. It will be interesting to see if the league office leans on the Patriots to confiscate them from fans entering the stadium.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Julian Edelman out for the season with a torn ACL. That sucks. I'm happy to see the Patriots lose but not this way. Losing a key player in a meaningless exhibition game that the league forces on the players so they can generate more money just blows.

That's a tough injury to come back from for a receiver, too. Hopefully he makes it back and can get back to what he was for 2018.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:39 am

Matt Stafford is now the highest paid player in the history of the NFL. Given all the success the Lions have had since drafting him, this should surprise no one. With his one Pro Bowl appearance and 3 post season losses,it's impossible to miss how he had Detroit over a barrel.

I just can't believe they didn't have to pay double to keep him. I guess Stafford was feeling merciful.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 am

Tom Brady recently signed for two years at about 20.5 per (factoring in the signing bonus). So that Stafford contract seems about right. Brady's OK, but he's no Matthew Stafford.

PS - According to pro-football-reference.com, Stafford was the 13th rated QB in the NFL, right behind Ryan Tannehill. So there you go.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:48 am

For some reason it seems increasingly difficult for teams to find an NFL caliber QB who can stay healthy and provide consistency. Whatever else he is, Stafford is certainly that. And, that has a lot of value. You look at teams like the Jets and the Browns and others who have struggled for years to find a starting QB and you can understand why the Lions would want to lock him up for his career.

But, that's a ridiculous price tag given his past performance. I guess the consistency premium is far greater than I realized. The Giants are going to have this problem soon, too. Eli has to be well on the back end of his career. If he can't get the Giants to the post season this year, the Giants have to consider moving forward. But, with whom? That's always the problem. How many high drafted QBs have bombed out the past 10 years? Most of them, really.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:40 am

The days of Joe Kapp (a complete stiff) leading a team to a SB are long gone. Defense still matters, as it did for the Vikings team that Kapp played for, but you have absolutely no shot today with a complete stiff at QB. The rules now heavily favor QBs and that gives teams with quality QBs a huge advantage, So I agree that the Lions probably need Stafford. With him, they have a small chance of making some noise. Without him, they have none. But making a slightly above average QB the highest paid player in the NFL is insane.

The odd thing about pro sports is that the salary structure is often based on the Biggest Idiot paradigm. The dumbest GMs set the going price. The beauty part for the Lions is that it really doesn't matter. Despite this being the 60th anniversary of their last championship, their attendance numbers remain extremely solid by NFL standards. So what the heck. If their fans are happy, then I'm happy,