2017 NFL Football Season

Blue&White

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Reports that Marvin Lewis is leaving the Bengals after the season. Seems it's his choice and the ownership was surprised. I read a few quick blurbs about how this is bad for the Bengals, but I don't follow the logic. How hard is it to replace a guy who in 15 years made the post season 7 times and lost all 7 of those games? It's not that hard an act to follow.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 pm

I don't follow the logic.

That's because there isn't any. Surviving 15 years without a single playoff win is mind-boggling. Without looking it up, I assume it has to be a record.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Ok, NFL rules experts, what is the correct call at the end of the Steelers/Patriots game? I honestly have no idea and am only hearing from Steeler fans that are saying it was the wrong call.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:56 pm

I think that's the second time this season the Patriots benefited from very questionable officiating. I want to say it happened in the Jets game, too, but it may have been a different game. But I recall discussing it here.

I don't believe foe one second the NFL is predisposed to help the Patriots given all the litigation over Ballghazi. If the officials blew it, again, I think the more likely explanation is the rules are ridiculously complicated and the officials aren't that good.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:11 pm

I honestly have no idea and am only hearing from Steeler fans that are saying it was the wrong call.

It was the correct interpretation of a controversial rule.

Some are chiming in with "Hey! Once the ball crossed the plane it was a TD!". But that is only true if you're a runner. If you're a receiver, you are obligated to "complete the process" of making the catch. And the NFL has decided that, for diving catches, the "process" includes maintaining full control of the ball upon landing.

It's academic anyways. These are just glorified exhibition games. The real season doesn't start until January.

-----------------------------

I think that's the second time this season the Patriots benefited from very questionable officiating.

Then that would bring the total number of times an NFL team has benefited from questionable officiating this year to 17,002.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:33 pm

The rule is that you must possess the ball to the ground. Steelers fans are just crying. Dez Bryant (I think a playoff game verses Detroit) and Calvin Johnson (I will try to find the video of this one because it was ridiculous but rules are rules) come to mind by this stupid rule.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Calvin Johnson no catch for win: http://nittanyfootball.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=83 Go to minute 2:35.

Dez Bryant catch that didn't count (I don't feel that bad about this one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-gNzxTG3o I think I posted above it was against Detroit. I was thinking of the false holding call years ago. This no catch was against Green Bay

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is selling the team after the season because of allegations of sexual misconduct. Included in the list of inappropriate behavior is - and I swear I'm not making this up - he made inappropriate comments toward women on "Jeans Day" at the team's offices.

I'm not sure selling the team is enough. We need to break out the guillotine.

I hope there is a lot more to this than making comments about women on "Jeans Day". Because, if that's all it takes to force the sale of an NFL team, then I'm in serious, serious trouble.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 pm

I hope there is a lot more to this than making comments about women on "Jeans Day".

It's being alleged that there have been a number of complaints over the years that have resulted in "substantial" out-of-court settlements. It seems unlikely this is all about a "Hey! Nice butt!" comment. But who knows.

PS - I'd still lay low if I were you. Maybe borrow Bobby Valentine's Groucho Marx disguise.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:50 am

psu_dad wrote:I honestly have no idea and am only hearing from Steeler fans that are saying it was the wrong call.

It was the correct interpretation of a controversial rule.

Some are chiming in with "Hey! Once the ball crossed the plane it was a TD!". But that is only true if you're a runner. If you're a receiver, you are obligated to "complete the process" of making the catch. And the NFL has decided that, for diving catches, the "process" includes maintaining full control of the ball upon landing.

It's academic anyways. These are just glorified exhibition games. The real season doesn't start until January.

-----------------------------

I think that's the second time this season the Patriots benefited from very questionable officiating.

Then that would bring the total number of times an NFL team has benefited from questionable officiating this year to 17,002.

I am an unhappy Steelers fan. Having said that, I will also say that it was probably the correct call since I would have taken that same position had the shoe been on the other foot. Perhaps, if the Steelers ever figure out a way to stop Gronkowski, the outcome will be to their advantage. I also believe if you beat the Patriots in the regular season, you won't beat them a second time in the playoffs. Bring it on.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.