2017 NFL Football Season

psu_dad

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 pm

For the life of me, I don't understand why people are assuming the seeding is set in stone now. The Steelers are a lock to win 13 games. Their last two games are against teams with a combined record of 4-24. The Patriots are not a lock to win on Sunday. The Bills are a cut above the hot garbage the Steelers will be playing to close the season and they (the Bills) a're fighting for a playoff spot.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Yes, the Steelers close out with a pair of softballs. Lousy teams have been like kryptonite to the Steelers this year. Nothing is guaranteed but in all fairness, Pittsburgh's first half schedule was a minefield, though, compared to the second half. I assume the Steelers and the Patriots have a very good chance of meeting in the playoffs. Of course, we all know what assumptions are worth.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:34 pm

I'm assuming nothing, other than the post-season being a total crapshoot. The Ravens last two games are only slightly more difficult than the Steelers last two games. I think they grab a WC slot and they usually play well against the Patriots. The Jaguars defense looks scary. And teams that can play defense always have a shot. What should make Patriots fans and Steelers fans nervous is that neither has an ironclad defense. At their best, both defenses are probably good enough to make a serious run.. But they're also both capable of laying an egg on any given Sunday.

I wouldn't bet 5 cents on how this plays out.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm assuming nothing,

I assume the Giants will be watching the playoffs on TV. I further assume they will have a top 3 draft pick.

call it a crazy hunch.

Btw, the NFL addressed the Jesse James non-catch. Near as I can tell, before they went public they first consulted Joe Torre and sought his expertise on how to address a controversial call after the fact.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 pm

I understand the controversy over the rule. i don't understand the controversy over the call. The ex-head of officiating for the NFL (forget his name) watches football for a living now and said that, as the rule is written, the call yesterday was a no-brainer. He also said he same call is made several times every week.

People are still obsessing over the ball crossing the plane of the endzone before he lost control. That's irrelevant. If that entire play had occurred 5 yards into the endzone, well past the "plane", it's still would not be a TD. It would be an incomplete pass. And you can't score a TD on an incomplete pass.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:36 pm

It is a bad rule. I read an NFL explanation earlier today, and they believe they followed the rule.

With that said, I am not so convinced. I get the wording that he must maintain possession to the ground, but after watching footage of it again today, had that play happened in the middle of the field it would be considered a catch and fumble based on the two or three steps before he hit the ground. But I could be wrong...

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Not sure how you think if it happens elsewhere it's a fumble. The rule is clear (stupid, but clear). You can't have a fumble without a catch and the NFL rule says that is not a catch. End of discussion.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 pm

... it would be considered a catch and fumble based on the two or three steps before he hit the ground.

Are we talking about the same play? He didn't take a single step after catching the ball. He immediately went down after catching the ball. He had no choice but to go down because he was practically horizontal when he made the catch. He just stretched towards the goal line on his way down.

That is an incomplete pass anywhere on the field (according to the rule).

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:34 pm

I thought I saw two steps before his knee hit, but it may have been a different play.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Posting this here for lack of a better place:

hey dad - last Friday was the final broadcast on WFAN for Mike Francesca. It was the end of an error. And, on a completely related note, Craig Carton is filling his days doing a podcast and gave his parting thoughts on Francesca and his legacy. Jeez, that guy just won't go away (until he's sentenced and taken away in cuffs, and then I bet he does go away for some time).

FWIW, I have no recollection of Francesca saying that stuff when it happened. Maybe he did and I missed it (my focus was sort of on other things) but I don't recall hearing about this until years after the fact. Did he say it? I suppose it is possible he said something along those lines. It fits in with his general intelligence and commentary, but I don't remember it even being a thing at the time.

Whatever. He's over and done with. He entertained me for many years, and I laughed more at him than with him, and I guess part of me is sorry he's gone. I used to get a kick out of listening to people call him and him just treat them like absolute shit. But, I've really been over it the last few years. Actually, on second thought, I'm not sorry he's gone.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?