2017 NFL Football Season

Crowbar

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Crowbar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:19 pm

PSUgrower wrote:You made it back Crow! Good to hear from ya!

Thank you! Glad to be back.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:10 am

Forgot there was a game last night and woke up to find out the Patriots choked. Did anyone watch? Is Brady finally showing his age and showing he's human or was it just opening week rust and jitters?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 am

From what I saw the Patriots defense is atrocious. Though I'd still take Brady at 40 over everyone, the fact is he is 40 and he can't singlehandedly mask problems anymore. That's not a knock on him at all, it's just reality.

I still think the Pats will win the division. At the same time I think a changing of the guard is not too far off.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:13 am

Other than the Pats that division is pretty poor. And, I agree with you that Brady at 40 is still better than most every other QB in their prime. The guy is magic. But, at some point his performance will drop off. It has to. If he doesn't have a good team around him, I can't see him making up the difference on his talent alone. Not at 40.

The end of the Brady era is coming. The Pats will have to adjust and the rest of the league can't wait for the guy to be just gone. I wonder if Belichick retires when Brady does? He's not a young guy either and he has nothing to prove anymore.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 pm

I was just eating lunch and reading up on the Ezekiel Elliot stuff. What a circus that is. I hadn't followed it closely at all and didn't know much of the details, but after reading up just now it looks like the NFL looks like complete morons. Again.

What I really don't get is how the NFL got the union to agree to give Goodell almost total power when it comes to discipline. I read that during the last CBA negotiation the union had proposed discipline be handed out by a neutral arbitrator and the NFL said that wasn't going to happen. I suspect that issue is going to be a real sticking point when the current CBA runs out. I can't believe the players are going to sign up for this type of nonsense again.

I have no idea what Elliot did or did not do. It seems ambiguous at best. What I have read is that his accuser has been inconsistent and the NFL's own investigators didn't think she was credible. Maybe her story is true. And, if it is, then it's an injustice that there have been no criminal proceedings here. That could be because the local prosecutors knew they couldn't make a case, but that also doesn't mean the claim isn't true. So, he may be getting away with something here. Who knows?

I'm all for pro sports leagues taking a stand and suspending players for domestic violence and other crimes off the field. I have no issue with that. But, there has to be some level of consistency. Josh Brown, the former Giants kicker, basically admitted to systematically abusing his wife over a period of years and he initially got a 1 game suspension. Btw, the NFL just today increased his suspension to 6 full games due to "new evidence". I think the new evidence is they realized they look like total hypocrites. Also, Brown was cut by the Giants last year after all his admissions became public and does not currently have even a sniff of a job with the NFL. So, that was for appearances only. This "making it up as we go" stuff is preposterous.

The other issue is there needs to be some standard of proof here. I don't think you need to wait until a criminal conviction is had before you suspend a guy. The burden of proof for a conviction is "beyond reasonable doubt". I'm ok with a lower burden of proof but it has to be at least by a preponderance of the evidence. The NFL doesn't even do that.

Elliot may be a bad guy, but, given at least what's been made available to the public, I think he should probably play. We'll see what happens in the courts.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:52 pm

I can't offer any insight. The leather couch I purchased a few years ago is ridiculously comfortable and I fell asleep early in the 2nd quarter. It was over by the time my wife woke me up. And obviously I have no interest in watching the replay. A quick glance at the box score confirms my belief that they are going to miss Edelman WAY more than the "experts" ( AKA "knuckleheads") predicted. He's a 3rd down conversion machine and they went 5-15 on 3rd down. That said, when your defense gives up 550 yards, you're going to lose 99% of the time.

Nice windfall for the local talk radio knuckleheads, though. They'll be talking people off the ledge all day. Or encouraging them to jump.

On to New Orleans! That's at 1:00 so I should be able to make it to half-time.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Losing Edelman was huge. I can't believe anyone would think it wasn't. But, if the Patriots D is really that bad, agree it wouldn't matter.

It's early. One of the Giants recent Super Bowl years they lost the first 2 games and their D gave up something like 850 yards in those first 2 games. And then they pulled it all together and won a championship. Tough to read too much into 1 week.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:29 pm

It's impossible to read ANYTHING into early season results. The last time the Patriots got their ass kicked by the Chiefs, ESPN declared them dead ... and they were hoisting the SB trophy over their heads a few months later. Even late season results don't mean much, unless they eliminate you from the playoffs. I saw the Patriots give the Cardinals a horrible beating (47-7) in December several years ago. A month later the Patriots were watching the playoffs on TV and the Cardinals were in the SB.

The NFL has achieved the parity they desire. Yes, there are bad teams, but the difference among the better teams is such that any one of them is capable of getting their ass kicked if they don't bring their "A" game and their opponent does. The Patriots major accomplishment has not been being clearly better than everyone else. That's impossible in the salary-cap/FA era. Their major accomplishment been consistently being among the best for so long. The last team that was clearly better than everyone else was probably the Cowboys team in the early 90s. And those days aren't coming back.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 am

It's great the Giants brought in a bunch of weapons for Eli to throw to, but what they really needed was to invest in the offensive line. That was brutal yesterday.

If that's how the line is going to play, it's going to be a loooong season for Big Blue.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 am

All they need is for you (or appoo) to predict that they're going to suck this year. Then they'll be fine.