2017 NFL Football Season

PittGradPSUMad

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 am

Somehow I thought you might say that.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Shurmur was head coach of the Browns from 11-12. won 9 games in two seasons for 2nd best winning percentage in the new franchise's history. I made that last part up...but it could be true.

Shurmur's claim to fame is that he's something of a QB whisperer - he's turned middling back ups into starters who've found success under his tutelage.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Beckham is going to eat him for lunch. He'll soon be reminiscing about the halcyon days with the Browns.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Ok.

He may be the next Bill Parcells. He could be the next Ben Macadoof. I have no idea. Ask me again in 3 years and I'll tell you what I think.

The fact is that most every NFL head coaching hire is a crap shoot. You rarely get a guy with a big pedigree and proven track record. Those guys usually are not available. It does happen. Tony Dungy managed to have success with both the Colts and the Buccaneers and he won Super Bowls with both teams. Parcells won two Super Bowls with the Giants and then managed to coach the Patriots to a Super Bowl they lost. Not quite what Kraft wanted when he hired him but hard to say he was a bust in New England. But, how usual is that? How often to you get a coach with a lot of success and a Super Bowl win (or more) that is available and looking for a new job? I can't, off the top of my head, think of another coach that had that kind of success and then went to another team. I suppose you could maybe argue Andy Reid. He never won a Super Bowl but he lost more Championship games than anyone else I can think of.

Anyway, point is, when hiring a new coach you're most likely to have to chose from a bunch of successful coordinators but no one with either head coaching experience or has been a head coach but didn't have a lot of success. And, that may be ok. Belichick bombed with the Browns his first time coaching and I'd say he's been a success with New England. But, most of these hires are a risk and taking on someone with a lot of unknowns. So, is Shurmur a good hire? I have no clue.
Hire Alex Cora

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 pm

I actually believe if the Giants have decent D personnel and if their receivers get healthy, they shore up OL via FA and early round draft picks, take Saquon at #2 then B&W won't will be doing a lot of beer drinking and TV watching next fall of weekends rather than yard work. He will also wear the color blue for four consecutive months.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pm

sameoldlama wrote:I actually believe if the Giants have decent D personnel and if their receivers get healthy, they shore up OL via FA and early round draft picks, take Saquon at #2 then B&W won't will be doing a lot of beer drinking and TV watching next fall of weekends rather than yard work. He will also wear the color blue for four consecutive months.

From your lips......
Hire Alex Cora

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Looks like some obligatory bloodletting going on in Pittsburgh following that not-as-close-as-the-score-indicates loss to Jacksonville. Offensive Coordinator Todd Haley has been fired by the Steelers. I kinda think this sucks because the offensive output has been good to very good during Haley's tenure. His biggest issue throughout has been a rocky relationship with Ben Roethlisberger. Also, Haley was blamed for clock mismanagement in the closing minute of the new England loss. Help me out someone because I thought clock management was the head coach's responsibility. I'm also thinking that the Steelers will have a hard time firing Tomlin unless the team tanks badly. Steelers fans are not happy with what is perceived as a lack of discipline among the players engendered by Tomlin's management style of being too close to his players.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:08 pm

I think the Steelers should sign Tomlin to an extension as a show of support.

Mrs psu_dad: Stop being a jerk.
Me: What did I do now? What?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Mrs. Dad is a voice of reason. As I'm sure you know, Jacksonville is a very dangerous opponent....good defense and a very efficient offense. I don't believe home field advantage means much in this game...at least not to the Jags. And then there is this: beyond the borders of Massachusetts, it's safe to say that the nation will become united behind the desire to see Jacksonville beat the bloody-effin' pants off of the Patriots.....there is a national outcry for this to happen. Hyperbole?.....I think not. :D

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Stranger things have happened.