2017 NFL Football Season

Crowbar

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Crowbar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:49 pm

All Hail King Howie.

I don't know, but whatever he did while on hiatus during the Chip era has been awe inspiring. Everything he has touched since his return has turned to gold.

I agree that Eli got shafted.

Dak is overrated. And he stinks.

Thank you, Cleveland Browns. Philly will love you always and forever. :D

So much for the death of the Patriots.

Super Bowl 52 prediction:

Eagles 27, Patriots 24.

Tom passes the torch to Carson Wentz and says take it from here son!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 pm

So, Giants fans paid to put up 3 of these billboards on the main roads around Metlife Stadium.

:lol:

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:24 pm

Tom passes the torch to Carson Wentz and says take it from here son!!!

Fat chance. He wasn't willing to pass the torch to Garoppolo, so he sure as Hell isn't going to pass it to Wentz. The best you could hope for in the unlikely event that happens is a handshake and a "nice game".

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 am

Just heard a new name for the soon-to-be former Giants head coach: "McAdoof.

Thought Grower would get a laugh out of that one.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Just read the last two pages, good stuff from everyone.

A few thoughts:
1- Iggles have a real chance because they didn't hire Macadoof. rather hired a real coach instead.
2- Macadoof looks like Phil Fulmer, except Phat Phil is better looking.
3- Jerry Reese is currently scouting the senior classes of Western KY and Troy State for 'hidden gems.'
4- Wellington Mara isn't just rolling over in his grave, he's thrashing around like a landed fish.
5- If the Giants somehow still win out, all they've accomplished is ruining their draft slot.
6- If Jerry Reese is still GM, expect another wideout or tight end to be the first pick.
7- John Mara will ask Eli to announce the Giants first pick. Eli will refuse.
8- Eli will lead another team to the super bowl.
9- The Giants will toil in obscurity for at least the next 3 years b/c of the damage Reese/MacDuff/Mara/Tisch have collectively done.
10- Eli Apple will be named to the All Pro team...in the Canadian Football League.

Some modest predictions. That said, I find it liberating at this point that the Giants are so pathetic. The 'class' label attached the the franchise sat squarely on the shoulders of Wellington Mara. Any claims of such since he died were/are unearned, as proven with the events of the last several days. When Wellington died, so did the soul of the franchise.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Mcadoof is gone.

That's a shame.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 pm

I seem to recall a conversation just before last season where I said the biggest "wild card" for the Giants going into the season was their new HC. But I had no idea he would be a total dumpster fire. Some guys are just meant to be assistant coaches.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:36 pm

They fired GM Jerry Rees, too. Word is that Jon Mara is furious over the fan backlash over the Eli benching. I posted the billboards. There were also rumors of a plane being hired to fly a banner over Metlife for this Sunday's Cowboys game and a fan protest where they show up, tailgate, burn their tickets and leave without going in, so TV would see a bunch of empty seats. I don't believe for one minute that Mara was not aware of the decision in advance, and there was no good way to handle it.

Whatever the reason, they wanted him and Rees out to I guess calm fans down. They will mail in the rest of the season, get a high draft pick, and start the rebuild process. The good thing about the NFL is that, unlike with baseball, rebuilding - if you have competent ownership and a good GM - can be done in relatively short order. I think the Giants will suck again in 2018 but maybe the following year they can make a real run towards the playoffs. We'll see.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Giants said Manning is being put back in as the starter. Jeez, this is turning into a full 3 ring circus. And, it's a huge mistake. If the choices are Eli or Geno Smith, you start Eli. But, you have a 3rd round pick and a handful of games to see if he has the ability to play QB in the future. Do you use your top 3 draft slot to pick a QB or some other position. The season is over. Starting Smith or Eli this coming week is moronic. Start Wells. I'm not used to the Giants being run this poorly. I don't like it.

Anyway, I was googling Giants to see what people were saying, and I happened across an article on a former Giant (and then Patriot) named Dave Megget. Anyone remember Mr. Megget? He was a very good player with the Giants and Patriots. The Patriots cut him after he was accused of assaulting a call-girl in a Toronto hotel, a charge which was dropped by the Canadian authorities. After that he played a little bit with the Jets but wasn't much of a factor and was out of football by the time he was 32. Anyway, since then, his life has turned into an unbelievable horror show. Well, that's not accurate. I think it's more accurate to say that he's turned other people's lives into horror shows. If you read that article I linked, it sounds like Dave Megget would make Harvey Weinstein wince in embarrassment. I had no idea about any of this. I now feel dirty about once having rooted for him.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:32 pm

The good thing about the NFL is that, unlike with baseball, rebuilding - if you have competent ownership and a good GM - can be done in relatively short order.

I think the salary cap and FA has contributed to that. I remember the olden days when there were pretty much just 3 or 4 teams every year that had a realistic shot of winning a championship. Once you built a great team, like the Packers in the 60s and the Steelers in the 70s, you had all the players under your control forever. Now, it's a total crap shoot. Teams with great players can no longer keep them all. So everyone has to constantly reload.

The four teams leading their divisions in the NFC right now seem to be nearly a lock to at least make the playoffs (barring a disaster). Not one of them had a winning record last year. It's Loony Tunes.

------------------
PS That Megget story was very heartwarming. Good grief.