2017 NFL Football Season

Blue&White

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:37 am

This is 100% on the NFL for marketing patriotism to help sell their product. I have absolutely nothing against patriotism, I just think it should be organic and personal and not commercialized to make a buck.

It's actually worse than that. It turns out that they have been taking money from the Department of Defense to put on patriotic displays. I guess DoD thought it would help recruiting in a time when recruitment was probably down some (supposedly this kicked off in 2009). So, they are literally selling patriotism now. I find that far more insulting than the protests, but that's just me.

As for your point, here's my problem with that argument - when you are watching on TV they generally don't show the anthem at all. You have no idea who does what. Even after Kaepernick started this, the only reason you knew about it at all was because you either went to the game (and happened to be looking at Kaepernick - it's a big field and you don't automatically spot what each player is doing) or you heard about it on TV on the news or the post game. Or, maybe you read about it. But, it wasn't in your face.

Until this past weekend. This past weekend it was absolutely in your face. Every game had them show the anthem so you could see who was doing what. Every protest, arm lock, no-show, etc. was front and center. And, I think the original point that was trying to be made has been completely lost in the noise. Whatever good Kaepernick was trying to do, and whatever motivation the players had, I think this has gone well beyond that now, unfortunately. Now it's just a contest of wills.

Incidentally, I saw Trump woke up and hit the NFL again this morning with a tweet. That's like 6 or so comments on the NFL and an issue that has no impact on anyone in real life. Meanwhile, he's not said anything, or done anything, for Puerto Rico. And, from what I read, the situation there is getting pretty desperate. Way to prioritize.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 am

I would't worry about Puerto Rico. I'm sure we'll ultimately spend billions to restore it to its previous Economic Dumpster Fire status.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am

Way to be compassionate towards Puerto Rico, -dad. Sheesh...

I have been making the same point about manufactured patriotism in the NFL for a couple days now, to little avail. I thought this was one of a few discussions. 1) This disrespects the Flag, 2) This disrespects the Vets who died for you, or 3) These are a bunch of spoiled millionaires so why should I care. Anyone can be argued easily for or against.

But then the Tweeter-in-Chief posted "The booing at the NFL football game last night, when the entire Dallas team dropped to its knees, was loudest I have ever heard. Great anger" so now it is clear to me that this is actually a ploy by him to keep the hatred stirred up so we are not focused on the failure of the GOP to produce any meaningful legislation. But that is a discussion for t a different thread...

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:50 pm

I don't know if it was just radio schtik but heard Beckham was saying his act was an anti-Trump statement - so we will have to presume - given Goodell's deeply professed love of defending free expression - no fine will be forthcoming. As much as Trump does this to detract from bigger issues he does this as he sees Twitter as his only way to settle personal scores. When someone attacked Obama he had the liberal media and his party in his pocket and they would attack - so he didn't have to. Trump's ain't got a friend in the world - his own fault - so he sees Twitter as a way to lob back at all the media members, politicians and celebrities who have made it a job to take pot shots at him. Unfortunately he lacks the wit and eloquence to do it effectively. But then again I don't think he is trying to appeal to the media / academic elite or professional class (like most of this board). He's shooting for the impulsive guy at the end of the bar who thinks the whole world is out to screw him - the same persecution complex as Trump.

As much as they like to pretend they are mad at trump every politician is overjoyed because it distracts from their current lack of performance or scandal - Carlos Danger got sentenced to jail yesterday and it barely got a rise out of the media. The Republicans should be overjoyed that the spotlight is off their failure to come of with healthcare legislation after 7 years of grandstanding and now having control of Congress and a POTUS who has said - get me a bill on my desk and I will sign it. Saw a story where McCain is still holding a grudge over Trump's POW insult during primary and confirms to me his default opposition to everything Trump and even his own party is rooted in bitterness over past grievances - his constituents be damned.

IMO if Trump has accomplished one things its been to put on full display the unending hypocrisy that exists in the mainstream politics, media and celebrity culture. Trump is simply the unvarnished form of all of them and his impulsive, childish personal attacks draw out the complete conceit, phoniness and arrogance of these people.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I don't know if it was just radio schtik but heard Beckham was saying his act was an anti-Trump statement

I don't buy that for a second. I watched it live and OBJ does not seem capable of that kind of subtlety. I think he did something in the moment and then came up with the "Trump" excuse after the fact (if he really did say that).

Btw, the Carlos Danger stuff did get decent coverage, probably more than it deserved. He's old news and can fade away now. And, I think 2+ years is about right for a 40+ year old man sending nude shots of himself to a teenager. Man that guy is a schmuck.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Oh I don't think for a moment Beckham was doing anything more than being an the immature clown he is and came up with the "it's a Trump protest" when - to his surprise - no one compared his artistic display as Shakespeare. But claiming you are protesting Trump is much better deodorant than "I'm just a fool".

And the anthem protests got at least 50X the coverage of Carlos - and to the point several of us have made - what's more serious - anthem twitter battles between Trump and celebrities and athletes or a Congressman / NYC mayoral candidate soliciting underage girls off the same computer his wife uses to exchange highly sensitive documents with the SOS?
That 6' x 6' block of ice with Hillary and Donald drifting on in the Antarctic I mused about the other day - chop it in half and put Weiner and Emmert on the other half. Now that's an awesome reality show.

Social media has become nearly as destructive to our society as the bubonic plague.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I misunderstood your point. Yes, the anthem stuff got overwhelmingly more coverage than the Weiner story. And, both got more than North Korea's statement that they considered at least one of Trump's tweets a formal declaration of war between the two countries.

I can see relegating Carlos Danger to further back in the news coverage. He's old news and his 15 seconds of fame is up (I know it used to be 15 minutes, but who has that kind of attention span these days?). But, that the North Korea thing was 2nd filled to the whole kneeling bullshit? That's f*cking unbelievable. And horrifying. How many people do you think even saw that news?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 pm

I warned you about Beckham long ago, but did you listen? No. You did not.

This guy is a coach-killing PITA. This BS is not required. There is ample evidence that you don't need a diva wide receiver to win a SB. Never mind a Batshit Crazy Diva. And this clown wants the Giants to make him the highest-paid player in the NFL? Wellington Timothy Mara must be rolling over in his grave.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:34 pm

You may not need a diva WR but you need something. Last Sunday was the first time he was close to 100% this season (he was maybe 90%) and the offense was completely different. Without a line or any real running game, Beckham is all they have. When he's on, the Giants have a shot at winning (emphasis on "shot"). When he's not, they have no chance.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 am

No team needs a diva receiver - and unless you have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers as your QB you do need a Beckham talent without the Beckham antics. I believe that's known as Julio Jones.