2017 NFL Football Season

sameoldlama

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 am

I think we can all agree Tom Brady is not stupid. I'm sure he has assessed the risk - reward. Yes there are players who have suffered long term cognitive effects from playing football. And there are many who didn't. It may not be as simple as having just played football for a long period of time. The position you play (a RB, LB, ST, WR may take many more full speed hits than QB), genetics and lifestyle (TB doesn't drink, doubt he uses steroids, doubt he uses recreational drugs) may also be factors.
Like most other slow moving older QBs you see TB has learned to minimize hits by "giving himself up" - heck Eli manning falls down when a defender gets within 2 feet of him. Conversely Cam Newton has a RB / LB mentality and consequently he takes a lot of hard hits. I just think with his healthcare regimen and style of play TB has learned to minimize the risk associated with football / taking hits.

IMO your average 40 year old in America is at greater risk of long term health issues than TB because of their diet and lack of physical activity but I don't think will a bunch of Buffalo Wild Wings closing and being turned into gyms / juice bars anytime soon.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 am

IMO your average 40 year old in America is at greater risk of long term health issues than TB because of their diet and lack of physical activity but I don't think will a bunch of Buffalo Wild Wings closing and being turned into gyms / juice bars anytime soon.

I think the average 40 year old in America is at far greater risk than TB for things like cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, etc. But, greater risk for a neurological disorder? I seriously, seriously doubt it. I also question your comment about how "some" players have suffered long term cognitive effects but many did not. I think the opposite is true where many players suffer but some do not. I base that on a study reported last summer out of Boston University that showed an alarmingly high number of players at all levels suffered from CTE.

But, you're basic point is correct. The risks of smoking, drinking, eating red meat, eating junk food, a sedentary lifestyle, etc., are all well known and there is no shortage of people who ignore those risks and continue on as if nothing will happen, despite it putting their health, and lives, at risk. I'm somewhat guilty of that myself. I go to the gym regularly and I eat ok (meaning I have very good days but some bad days), but I drink more than I should, spend too much time sitting, work too many hours to be healthy, etc. So, I guess Brady fits into the same mode as most every other American with their health, he's just taking a different risk.

Like I said earlier - it's not my life and it makes no difference to me. You make a valid point as to why he isn't walking away, but I still think he's nuts. He's got young kids, a gorgeous wife, he's legacy is cemented for a century, and more money than he can spend in a lifetime. But, it's not my life.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 am

Blue&White wrote: How do you quit being yourself?

You go talk to guys who are not that much older than you and listen to their stories about how they can't recall their kids birthdays and events they were out because they took too many blows to the head.

Playing pro football isn't nearly the same as having sore joints because you still like to run. My dad jogged into his mid 60s when the pain became just too great. So, he stopped and did other things. But, he's not going to have long term neurological issues from running with pain. I don't care if Brady quits or not. Makes no difference to me. But, he's got young kids and the risks he's facing are now very well known. Seems like an obvious choice but it's not my life or my health.

Knowing his income level for the past 15 years I'd think I'd retie gracefully. He may want to go out on a high note with a future SB MVP but the risk/reward ration is skewing toward risk at this point.

I read an article recently, by a doctor, noting that repetitive head impact is the issue in dementia like symptoms, not one big hit (unless that big one is catastrophic). Passing 60 years I see my short term memory is far less than 20 years ago and I had an excellent memory overall. Injury plus age is a double whammy. I received three concussions in a six week period many years ago. I don''t know the impact of them and can't say they have or have not caused any memory loss but I know you can't continue to bang your head over and over and expect to have no long term impact on mental health. The article noted soccer, with the ball to head shots and the inadvertent head to head hits is also detrimental.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 am

My oldest son just called me from school. He said most of the teachers and students are out "sick", there is nothing going on, and could I leave work to go sign him and his brother out of school early.

Nope. I'm not against them leaving early on a day that nothing is happening. I'm just not leaving work to facilitate it. I've got stuff to do (like post this here, for example).
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:08 am

Side note that I forgot to post last week. My fellow 5th grade teacher's husband works in the HR department for the Eagles. Lurie gave everyone 2 tickets to the Superbowl and flew them out to Minnesota on 3 charters planes. They stayed Friday through Monday morning. They didn't pay a cent! Colleague said it was a blast and they were treated like kings and queens by team. There were free concerts, amazing food, and drink. That was just for starters. Needless to say, she hopes she gets to go back next year.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am

That's really great. Nice to hear that the Eagles took care of the whole organization and all the people that make it run.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Jason Kelce just gave the GREATEST Superbowl parade speech of all time!!!! It will go down in history as the best ever!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:41 pm

PSUgrower wrote:Jason Kelce just gave the GREATEST Superbowl parade speech of all time!!!! It will go down in history as the best ever!

- PSU(trump)grower

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Jimmy Garoppolo is now the highest paid player in the NFL. I know he looked great taking over the 49ers offense, but he has 7 career wins. 7 total for his career.

And he signed to a 5 year, $137.5M deal (not sure how much is guaranteed).

The economics of pro sports are ridiculous.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Here is the whole speech. There is some language at the end but this is a classic.
http://phillyinfluencer.com/2018/02/watch-jason-kelces-entire-unedited-speech-here/