2017 NFL Football Season

Blue&White

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:44 am

The story I read was he was at the 2017 super bowl and after the Patriots won he was trying to get on the field to congratulate his brother. The security guards told him to go to another entrance but he couldn't be bothered and just plowed through them and basically knocked over this woman so he could get on the field. So, it's not like he just punched an older woman in a wheelchair but it does seem he didn't care at all that she was in his way.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 am

Ex-NFL LB turns down Montana Football Hall of Fame nod because of concussions

I rarely missed a Giants game in the 90s and I bet I watched at least 80% of the snaps that Corey Widmer played in his career. I had no idea what was going on with him - why would I? - and was sorry to read that he's going through this.

I think football has a big, big problem. I don't see how it's sustainable long term.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 am

Blue&White wrote:Ex-NFL LB turns down Montana Football Hall of Fame nod because of concussions

I rarely missed a Giants game in the 90s and I bet I watched at least 80% of the snaps that Corey Widmer played in his career. I had no idea what was going on with him - why would I? - and was sorry to read that he's going through this.

I think football has a big, big problem. I don't see how it's sustainable long term.

We are all replaceable. There are 500 kids waiting to take his spot. Football will be fine for a long time.

A weird comparison but car racing is a sport where you can lose your life. There are no shortage of drivers.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 am

At some point, they're probably going to have to shorten careers. Five years or x number of concussions, whatever comes first. Four years of butting heads in college and 10 years of butting heads in the pros is probably not a great idea.

One problem is that we still can't quantify the risk. We hear the stories of those having problems, but that's a little like forming an opinion on a department store by standing next to the Complaint Department all day. What percentage of retired football players have these problems? 50 percent? 10 percent? 1 percent? Unfortunately, CTE can't be detected while you're alive.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:56 am

One problem is that we still can't quantify the risk. We hear the stories of those having problems, but that's a little like forming an opinion on a department store by standing next to the Complaint Department all day. What percentage of retired football players have these problems? 50 percent? 10 percent? 1 percent? Unfortunately, CTE can't be detected while you're alive.

This is, I thought, a pretty good article on what is known and how that translates into statistics. The conclusion here is that there is a problem, just how big and how severe is in question. I suspect that, with time, the numbers will get clearer. But, let's say they are 40% and not 90%. Would you let your kids play football if there was a 40% chance of them developing severe neurological issues before aged 40? My guess is you would not. My guess is a lot of people will not. If those are the numbers.

The impact of concussions is a rapidly developing field. While the percentages and risks will be better qualified with time, and probably reduced from the current levels of hyperbole, I suspect the numbers aren't great. And, that's likely to impact the willingness of parents to let their kids play football. I still think the NFL has a sustainability problem. Even without CTE the risk of injury is pretty high compared to other sports. Participation in high school football has been trending downward since these stories of CTE first came out. Parents aren't letting their kids play when they are young. I suspect that will continue and with more information over time will increase.

The NFL has a long term sustainability problem. It doesn't help that they keep screwing with the product on the field and the protests. They have a viewership problem, too.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 am

When things work out they way you dream you have fond memories - when they don't you have regrets. Can any life be truly lived without some degree of "if I knew then what I know now". But you make the best decision you can to give yourself an opportunity to be about and self fulfilled.

Not commenting specifically about Widmer but I think the increased awareness and treatment of head trauma will put athletes in better long term situations. I think players from 70s, 80s, 90s played a more reckless style and if you were a "tough guy" head butting things to pysch yourself up probably was a regular practice. I would also wonder what part the lack of recognition on concussions (and therefore lack of treatment) and possible additional factors (abuse of narcotics, alcohol, steroids) could also play a factor in long term outcomes.

My bet is most of us suffered undiagnosed concussions as kids from fights, falls, sandlot sports. Like any illness - a chronic problem is a possibility for anyone but given the same exposure to a risk - not everyone realizes the adverse effects.

I know this lifetime of lifting and running has me running up a tab on my joints that is going to come due in 5-10 years but I keep going. Every overweight American knows those bacon cheese fries come with long term costs way beyond grouchy guts later that evening. Every smoker knows every time they spark up time comes off their life expectancy. There is as much info out there now about the dangers of this and that than ever before - we takes our chances.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Sure, people make bad decisions that can shorten their life expectancy or quality of life all the time. And, for a whole lot less than NFL players get paid (or may be paid - the vast majority of them don't make big, last-the-rest-of-your-life type of money). But, what we are talking about here is the decisions people make for their children. People tend to make much better, and less risky, decisions for their children than they do for themselves.

So, eat like crap and not exercise regularly? Sure! Let me kid go out for football when there are other sports that don't pose the same long term health risks? The numbers show that fewer and fewer parents are willing to do that.

Btw, good comment on the joint pain. I'm impressed yours have held up as long as they have. I had to give up running a few years ago. I do a lot more cycling now, and I've even had to scale back on that some. I barely lift anymore. Mostly I do cardio in the gym. Big fan of the stair climber and will do that thing until my knees finally give out (should be any day now). I'm only 49 but I have the joints, and back, of a much older man. Years of lifting and running just took their toll on me. It's consistent with a theory that I have - getting older sucks (but it beats the alternative).

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:54 pm

I don't care what the data says, there will ALWAYS be parents who let their kids play football. My brother did not let his son play football until he was in middle school. He eventually got a schollie to play LB in college so the boy was hitting people every day! We will see what happens to him in 40 years. As of now, he just got a job in the Phillies marketing department

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Sure. There will always be people who let their kids play. But, fewer kids means the pipeline has less talent. Less kids playing in college, less kids to play in the NFL. The number of kids who play football isn't going to drop to zero, I never suggested anything like that. What I did suggest is the talent pool is going to dilute, and the NFL has a sustainability problem. They do.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 pm

The NFL needs 1696 players. I have zero doubt that they won't be able to find that number. The talent will always be there. I don't buy this talent will go down. you have knuckleheads eat scorpions on TV for a few hundred dollars. I will guess that we can find 1696 people to break their bodies for a few hundred thousand a year.